Jun 11, 2002
Rahway NJ
Visit site
✟313.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
After Clint Eastwood's speech, just a quick and funny story.

When I was pastor in Scranton, PA I partnered with a group of pastors from Wilkes Barre to organize a big revival in the Wilkes Barre hockey rink. We called it Light in the Valley and we planned on creating a huge Billy Graham type event. In order to guarantee a large crowd we invited a Christian celebrity – retired football star Reggie Williams. We asked him to deliver the main message and then make an alter call. Or course, no one vetted the man’s public speaking credentials. After all, he was a celebrity.

It was a disaster. That night, Reggie Williams was not capable of stringing two sentences together and have them make sense. It was rambling, incoherent and just plain bad (sadly Reggie Williams passed away several years after this event). We had several thousand people in attendance, but by the time Mr. Williams finished, we only had 100 people left. Everyone else walked out before the alter call. I repeat; it was a disaster.

Why did we think that a retired football player could get up and deliver a great sermon at a big event? Because he was a celebrity. And we Americans seem to grant supernatural abilities to celebrities. The same thing happened at the Republican Convention on Thursday night. Everyone who spoke this week had their speeches carefully written and checked by the Romney campaign. With one exception; Clint Eastwood. What made them think that an actor/director can get up in front of a national TV audience and deliver a carefully thought out speech without writing it down? He’s Clint Eastwood, he can do anything.

Well, they learned the same hard lesson I learned many years ago in Wilkes Barre. Celebrities are not superheroes. They’re just ordinary people like you and me. However, when they crash and burn, it turns into big headlines.

God bless you,
Pastor Bill
First Baptist Church of Rahway

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,205,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We do have an odd celebrity obsession in this country (it's clear if you look at the huge salaries that actors & atheletes earn without actually providing anything to society that is a neccessity)

It's just like political shows I've seen where they're having roundtable discussions with people from both sides...it's a handful of experts and then Rosanne (for the left) and Ted Nugent (for the right).

Why should those two even be involved in the discussion? At least the Nuge was slightly more well versed on constitutional law than Rosanne...but still, why were either of them up there. Being a mediocre actress or a famous guitar player doesn't give their opinion anymore credibility than ours.

Upvote 0