Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Still, I fail to see how this is because of global warming or whatever. Has dry weather caused the fires? No. It has contributed, but it did not start the fires. That is mostly humans. It certainly doesn't help that the forests haven't been touched and cleaned up at all.
No, most of the fires were not started by humans. 350 fires in CA started by 11,000 lightning strikes within 72 hrs. But it didn't rain in most cases, it was dry lightning.
I've seen those strikes and just a few years ago we had one start a forest fire here that burned 30,000 acres, people had to evacuate their homes before they got it under control. I have photos of the fire creating its own lightning.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
They need to video it and put it on YouTube and Twitter.
We don’t need a bigger target on our backs. (We are a labor union). I would agree normally but the goal is to talk to voters and not get even more people out there confronting our canvassers or be targeted online. From what I hear they are trying to deescalate and not be distracted from the work of the campaign, which is exactly what the Trump thugs want. But I imagine they are documenting.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟906,359.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Climate change is only a distraction. Most don't really care about making the earth cleaner. Heck, after Bidens speech yesterday or whenever about climate change or global warming, or whatever term he used, today he boarded his private plane to Florida. Really looks like he cares.
I'm all about a cleaner earth. But that is not what they are in it for.

Oh? What am I in it for? What is my friend who studied to be a climate scientist in it for?

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,257.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But this could just be a normal cycle. We haven't been around for hundreds of years to see what the climate has done, or what cycles it goes through.
What if next year, the west got the most rain they've had in years. Would that be climate change, or global warming?

We have the data on it all, we can tell how majour the shifts are, while we didn't have measuring we had people around and other methods like tree rings and such. Scientists can tell just how bad it is.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,476.00
Faith
Non-Denom
trump's slogan may have been "drain the swamp", but it should have been "destroy the federal government".

Different President's can have different visions about what the federal government should be. They only thing that would "destroy" the federal government would be to seek to do away with the three different branches of government which keep the others in check. This has not taken place with Trump. If your position is destroying the federal government is reducing an over bloated system of bureaucracy I'd hardly say that's destroying government not in the way the Founding Fathers would say.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
With five named cyclonic storms simultaneously in the Atlantic (2nd time that's ever been recorded) and a wildfire season for the ages in the West, Trump has put the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, a scientific agency responsible for the National Weather Service and other important operations in the hands of someone who questions the severity of climate change. This, of course, goes hand in hand with Trump's recent statement that science 'doesn't know' about climate.

LINK

NOAA taps David Legates, professor who questions the seriousness and severity of global warming, for top role
Critics fear move could threaten the scientific integrity of one of the country’s foremost climate research agencies.

Legates was formerly Delaware’s state climatologist, a position from which he he stepped down in 2011. He had come under pressure from then-Gov. Ruth Ann Minner (D), because of his fossil fuel industry-funded research casting doubt on the science showing that burning coal, oil and other fossil fuels is the main factor behind heating the planet and would lead to dangerous effects such as sea level rise and extreme weather events.

Legates is affiliated with the Heartland Institute, a free-market think tank funded in part by the fossil fuel industry that supports research arguing that human-caused climate change is not a serious threat.

Legates’s arrival at NOAA comes a year after the agency’s scientific independence took a hit when the agency criticized its own forecasters’ accurate forecast for Hurricane Dorian to satisfy White House concerns that its communications were making the president look bad for having claimed, erroneously, that the storm would threaten Alabama.

Watchdogs such as Gretchen Goldman of the Union of Concerned Scientists, a research and advocacy group, said they fear that Legates’s appointment signals a new level of interference in the agency’s scientific work.

“This is a disappointing move. It is a slap in the face to NOAA scientists who work daily to conduct and communicate climate science to the public and decision makers,” Goldman said in an email. “Until now, NOAA has largely evaded the kind of anti-science political appointees that have devastated the EPA and Interior. With Dr. Legates we risk seeing the same kind of politicization of science and corruption of ethics. At the same time, NOAA has a strong culture of scientific integrity; Dr Legates must be ready to uphold it.”

On Monday, the American Geophysical Union, which is the world’s largest scientific society representing Earth and space sciences, publicly urged that Legates’ appointment be rescinded. “With climate change producing raging wildfires in the western United States and devastating hurricanes in the Atlantic, our nation – and the world – cannot afford to have our federal government undermining the important work of climate scientists,” wrote Randy Fiser, the group’s executive director and CEO.

People like stupid. It's easier to understand than all that complicated science stuff.

• Agree
Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,476.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The importance of this election can not be understated.

No election should.

If you want to stop the destruction of the most important institutions in our country, get involved in the election.

But you see that's just the thing. Trump, his supporters and the New Republican Party feel Trump is protecting the institutions. For the very reason that Pelosi didn't want Trump to have the right to go to the Supreme Court in issues about witnesses in the impeachment demonstrates the Dems' willingness to do away with the Institutions at least in my view.

My organization is out canvassing in Reno and groups of Trump supporters have started harassing the canvassers on the sidewalks.

If they're doing wrong it's wrong. You don't mention exactly in what way they're harassing individuals. Perhaps you can elaborate on that. And to be fair can we not accept you're always going to have people, dumb people do this from both sides? Reports are too that some destroy Trump related things as well. You can see pictures in the link.

Florida Man Arrested After Plowing Into Republican Voter Registration Booth And Then Videotaping This Own Destruction

They will be at the polls as well, armed, using fear and intimidation to shut down the Democratic process.

There's nothing in you which can acknowledge there will be people doing this from the other side as well? You didn't see what was happening outside of Trump rallys in 2016? You don't see that there were agitators seeking always to create fear? As for Trump supporters being armed....yeah maybe, perhaps...who knows. If you have 100 million voters you'll always have somebody doing something. Is there really a need to paint everybody with a negative brush?

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,314.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I honestly don't see the point. We're already past the point of no return with climate change. I think it would be far more effective to find other venues to destroy mankind quicker.

I do appreciate the effort, though.

• Haha
Reactions: Belk
Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,314.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Interesting pattern.

Instead of doing actual campaigning and winning votes, these people are simply trying to suppress the other sides’ campaign.
Na, the Trump side is doing both. It's just that the Biden supporters are too goody two shoes to surpress the Trump vote. If they did, it would be fair again.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,314.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I'm all about a cleaner earth. But that is not what they are in it for.
Really? You're all about a cleaner earth?

How do you find the time to post here, with all the trash picking up you must be doing.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,314.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Of course, the future of higher life on this planet should not be a political issue.
We must all come together and prevent this future, at least for our species. That's the big project mankind is working on right now, it's own self destruction.

Man knows that he is faulty, as a collective if not individually.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Climate Change: Overwhelming Scientific Evidence

But what if you hold no faith in such nontheistic religions? I do not have the faith that man maintains command over God's creation. Instead, God has unmitigated authority concerning His creation, and that man cannot subvert the will of God. I have read about the events of our current times for decades in this 2,000-year-old book.

I already know we are moving towards war with Russia, China, and Iran also. Damascus, will be nuked from the face of the earth. 7 year peace treaties anyone? In the works? Trumps likeness on money for the third temple. Massive pestilence... (massive clouds of some 200,000,000,000 locusts in Africa. Millions of bats in Australia etc)... Famine. Food shortage. Worldwide pandemic. Huge wild/aquatic life die offs. Massive fires. Worldwide unrest/violence. Wars/rumors of wars. Earthquakes. Eruptions. The water roaring/floods. Massive storms. Signs in the 'heavens'. All at the same time. Welcome to 2020 folks.

Mankind is not stopping this.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Na, the Trump side is doing both. It's just that the Biden supporters are too goody two shoes to surpress the Trump vote. If they did, it would be fair again.
When I said they weren’t campaigning, I just meant these particular people. Trump and the RNC are certainly campaigning, but there are a lot of supporters whose idea of campaigning is trying to physically keep people from voting or interfere with the other side’s campaign.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,314.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
When I said they weren’t campaigning, I just meant these particular people. Trump and the RNC are certainly campaigning, but there are a lot of supporters whose idea of campaigning is trying to physically keep people from voting or interfere with the other side’s campaign.
Please don't put goading emojis on my posts when you disagree with them.

If you really cared about winning you would do likewise.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Here's a simple experiment for you to do. You can do it now. Get a pitcher. Fill it halfway with water. Mark the water level with a piece of tape. Then add a few handfuls of ice. Mark the new water level with another piece of tape. Then when the ice has melted, see how much the water has risen.
Here is a simple article for you:
Presently, glaciers occupy about 10 percent of the world's total land area, with most located in polar regions like Antarctica, Greenland, and the Canadian Arctic.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

Under One King

Jul 14, 2020
The Shadowlands
✟28,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Oh? What am I in it for? What is my friend who studied to be a climate scientist in it for?
I'm sorry I didn't make it clear. I'm referring to the politicians and liberal elites who only use it as a way to get more power. I'm not talking about the average person.

Reactions: LostMarbels
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,089,385.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Different President's can have different visions about what the federal government should be. They only thing that would "destroy" the federal government would be to seek to do away with the three different branches of government which keep the others in check. This has not taken place with Trump.
What do you call stacking the courts, done with the collusion of McConnell, who held back Senate confirmation votes not only on Merrick.Garland but scores of lower court nominees.
Trump's primary consideration was picking the youngest candidates he could find. Gorsuch was under 50, Kavanaugh a year older. Lower court judges were barely out of law school, some with no trial background, some deemed unqualified by the ABA.
Stacking the courts with youthful lifetime appointees who are Federalist Society ideologues kills the neutrality of one branch of government.

Upvote 0