Cleveland Indians Will Abandon Chief Wahoo Logo Next Year

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Cleveland Indians Will Abandon Chief Wahoo Logo Next Year
The Cleveland Indians will stop using the Chief Wahoo logo on their uniforms beginning in 2019, according to Major League Baseball, which said the popular symbol was no longer appropriate for use on the field.

The logo has long been the source of anguish and frustration for those who consider it offensive, outdated and racist, but for many of the team’s fans it is a cherished insignia — a divide that has played out at all levels of sports in recent years with teams featuring such nicknames and insignias. Most universities have stopped using Native American nicknames, while other teams like the Washington Redskins in the N.F.L., for example, have resisted growing pressure to do so.

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I understand the objection to the Redskins but why the objection to Chief Wahoo?
I think it has to do with it being considered a racist caricature. Some might say, "What about the Fighting Irish?!" Which is simple to answer: Leprechauns aren't real, while the Indian is supposed to be a person, particularly a specific ethnic group (which would make names like crusaders, buccaneers, warriors separate). Of course there are the teams that have agreements with specific tribes, like the Florida State Seminoles (although some are not satisfied with any depiction of specific groups). I never thought anything of Cleveland's logo, but I can see it being more of a problem if it were a parody of my own ethnic group. But with teams like the Redskins, the Indians logo seems quite tame.

Although the question I still have, does Chief Wahoo still remain the mascot?

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Although the question I still have, does Chief Wahoo still remain the mascot?
Has the Chief been depicted in some disparaging way? I think of a Chief representing a strong leader and the players being the warriors battling on the field. idk Maybe it's his grin that they don't like.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thats ashame. Native americans have been complaining for about two decades now strongly about getting him replaced. Thanks to the PC culture, hes now going to be history. I don't think anyone who owned Chief items was thinking "Man I love Wahoo because of his red skin and racist overtones!". We just loved him because its was the teams mascot/logo. Well maybe not mascot since technically they use Slider (or is it Skipper?).

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
If we look at the original mascot, it's easier to understand the offense:
chiefwahooorig.png

We have to remember the grinning racist caricature was quite routine:
seuss021.jpg

512Npu%2BzurL.jpg

I still get a kick out of people decrying PC culture because they don't like the fact that someone dislikes a depiction of their own ethnic group.

• Winner
Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
chiefwahooorig.png

seuss021.jpg

512Npu%2BzurL.jpg

I still get a kick out of people decrying PC culture because they don't like the fact that someone dislikes a depiction of their own ethnic group.
Ok now I can see this when compared in this way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well supposedly its racist because it shows native americans as being "red skinned" and having big noses. And supposedly its the racist smile put on all characters of the past of peoples american didn't like (japanese, mexican...etc).

I mean I can see it but I don't think they used Wahoo in a racist way. I just think native americans in general are offended by anything "indian" related because they really have a neverending grudge with "white men". We get it, we know your history, its a bad history. But you can't spend the next 100 generations complaining about whats already done. The jewish people do not hound germany still over the past.

On a side note heres the current and the ORIGINAL Chief Wahoo from the 40s (right side):
chief-wahoo.jpg

Upvote 0

MyOwnSockPuppet

Regeneration of myself after computer failure
Feb 22, 2013
Oxford, UK
✟180,729.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
What about the Vikings? Is that racist?

I'd put in a video of the Monty Python spam song if only I could find a copy where Terry Jones (the waitress) didn't swear.

As to Cleveland, they could always substitute this Indian:

2015-12_Gandhi.jpg

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good! It has been a long hard battle and I'm very relieved to finally see the end of this fight. I have spent many years involved in protesting this racist Indian mascot, as well as other Indian mascots. I strongly disagree with the use of any Indian mascot, regardless of their use or intended purpose. I feel this way regardless of the fact that there are Native Americans who have no problem with these racist caricatures exploiting their people and their culture for entertainment and monetary gain.

I'm saddened to have to point out the fact that Native Americans are people and not mascots to be exploited for American sports entertainment. I'm even more saddened by the fact that there are actually Native Americans who help perpetuate these racial stereotypes of their own people. It is like they have no self respect or dignity, let alone respect for their people, their ancestors, and their culture. And quite honestly, I'm embarrassed for them. Native culture and native spiritual ceremonies are not a cultural trend to be exploited to further many Americans infatuation with romanticizing and marginalizing Native Americans. Native culture is not for sale. We are Not Your Mascots.

Older articles about the Cleveland Indians racist Indian mascot.

The Cleveland Indians Are Liars

CBCNews: Cultural Appropriation

Cleveland Indians Fan Apologizes to Native American For Red Face

My life as a Cleveland Indian: The enduring disgrace of racist sports mascots

Indian mascots are not only insulting, offensive and disrespectful, they are also demeaning and dehumanizing. The use of these mascots perpetuate negative racist stereotypes of Native Americans. Native culture is not a single entity or a cultural trend to be exploited for sports entertainment or for monetary gain. The cultural appropriation must stop. Multiple psychological studies have proven they are harmful to native youth and perpetuates racism and discrimination against Native Americans.

Eradicating Offensive Native Mascotry

Ending the Era of Harmful “Indian” Mascots

The True Damage Racist Mascots Do to Native American Children

The Harmful Psychological Effects of the Washington Football Mascot

Summary of the APA Resolution Recommending Retirement of American Indian Mascots

Research shows Native American imagery hurts all ethnic groups, says UB psychologist

Missing the Point: The Real Impact of Native Mascots and Team Names on American Indian

14-year-old Girl Testifying Against Native American Mascots Says Crowd Shouted ‘Get Off the Stage Squaw’

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
When a college had to ditch a longtime nickname like Redmen because red is the school color and, therefore, the players in uniform were called the red men...and

Warriors was dropped for being racist although there was no indication of which wars or warriors were being referred to...at almost the same time as another school was dropping Rainbow Warriors in favor of the allegedly neutral name Warriors...and

The Demons had to give up their nickname in the face of Evangelical Christian protests, although it was originally chosen because the players were called the D Men from the initial for the name of the college...

You know that this is all nuts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Another side note, why are Irish not offended that people use leprechauns as the symbol Saint Patricks day?
On a side note, you asked a question already addressed in the thread. A leprechaun is a mythical creature, it's not meant to be a stand-in for Irish people.

What about the Vikings? Is that racist?
Vikings are not an ethnic group.

Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
chiefwahooorig.png

seuss021.jpg

512Npu%2BzurL.jpg

You are exactly right. I want to thank you for your thread and for sharing the article in your OP. If I may, I would like to share these two videos and this other link to Not Your Mascot.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Good! It has been a long hard battle and I'm very relieved to finally see the end of this fight.

Has it been a long hard battle?

I have spent many years involved in protesting this racist Indian mascot, as well as other Indian mascots. I strongly disagree with the use of any Indian mascot, regardless of their use or intended purpose. I feel this way regardless of the fact that there are Native Americans who have no problem with these racist caricatures exploiting their people and their culture for entertainment and monetary gain.

I'm saddened to have to point out the fact that Native Americans are people and not mascots to be exploited for American sports entertainment.

I doubt anyone thinks native americans aren't people.

I'm even more saddened by the fact that there are actually Native Americans who help perpetuate these racial stereotypes of their own people. It is like they have no self respect or dignity, let alone respect for their people, their ancestors, and their culture.

Perhaps they just hold a different opinion. Maybe they aren't easily offended by something as trivial as a mascot. Maybe they realize that culturally they have more in common with white europeans than they do with native americans.

I'll never understand why some people get upset that other people aren't outraged/concerned about the same things that concern themselves. People are individuals after all.

And quite honestly, I'm embarrassed for them. Native culture and native spiritual ceremonies are not a cultural trend to be exploited to further many Americans infatuation with romanticizing and marginalizing Native Americans. Native culture is not for sale. We are Not Your Mascots.

Older articles about the Cleveland Indians racist Indian mascot.

The Cleveland Indians Are Liars

CBCNews: Cultural Appropriation

Cleveland Indians Fan Apologizes to Native American For Red Face

My life as a Cleveland Indian: The enduring disgrace of racist sports mascots

Indian mascots are not only insulting, offensive and disrespectful, they are also demeaning and dehumanizing. The use of these mascots perpetuate negative racist stereotypes of Native Americans. Native culture is not a single entity or a cultural trend to be exploited for sports entertainment or for monetary gain. The cultural appropriation must stop. Multiple psychological studies have proven they are harmful to native youth and perpetuates racism and discrimination against Native Americans.

Cultural appropriation is a myth.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Has it been a long hard battle?

I doubt anyone thinks native americans aren't people.

Perhaps they just hold a different opinion. Maybe they aren't easily offended by something as trivial as a mascot. Maybe they realize that culturally they have more in common with white europeans than they do with native americans.

I'll never understand why some people get upset that other people aren't outraged/concerned about the same things that concern themselves. People are individuals after all.

Cultural appropriation is a myth.

You forgot to include the articles I posted about the kind of damage Indian mascots have been proven to have on Native youth and Native Americans in general. Omitting these articles seems off to me.

Eradicating Offensive Native Mascotry

Ending the Era of Harmful “Indian” Mascots

The True Damage Racist Mascots Do to Native American Children

The Harmful Psychological Effects of the Washington Football Mascot

Summary of the APA Resolution Recommending Retirement of American Indian Mascots

Research shows Native American imagery hurts all ethnic groups, says UB psychologist

Missing the Point: The Real Impact of Native Mascots and Team Names on American Indian

14-year-old Girl Testifying Against Native American Mascots Says Crowd Shouted ‘Get Off the Stage Squaw’

Upvote 0