Cleaning PC

TenthAveN

Puppies are an acceptable form of currency.
Jun 18, 2020
North Texas
✟49,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
So last night I was playing Starcraft 2, and I noticed that my PC was louder than usual, so I felt the exhaust vent and instead of being lukewarm like usual, it was actually pretty hot. I’m assuming the PC has some dust buildup inside or something. I’m afraid of using compressed air because I don’t want to damage anything. Any suggestions?

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
Computers can get hot playing games vs just surfing the web it may not be buildup of dust is the problem at all. When some computers get hot they automatically turn on extra fans or speed up fans that are made for that so getting louder may be natural for it. If you do decide to use compressed air turn it off first and consider a small vacuum if the dust is extensive as to not fog up the area with dust.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
So last night I was playing Starcraft 2, and I noticed that my PC was louder than usual, so I felt the exhaust vent and instead of being lukewarm like usual, it was actually pretty hot. I’m assuming the PC has some dust buildup inside or something. I’m afraid of using compressed air because I don’t want to damage anything. Any suggestions?

Canned air works wonders. You can buy it on Newegg or any computer retailer. If you can't afford canned air you can use a blow dryer. Make sure it's set to cold. Does essentially the same thing.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,010,474.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Canned air works wonders. You can buy it on Newegg or any computer retailer. If you can't afford canned air you can use a blow dryer. Make sure it's set to cold. Does essentially the same thing.

Or, have a few hot curries and......woooosh! :oops:

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Some computers have a fan ducted or otherwise used just for the CPU. the dust can coat the top of the CPU's heat sink, and act like a clogged filter, not allowing enough air to pass, so the fan speeds up to keep the CPU cool. If this still fails, the CPU won't work right and you will start to find problems with your programs. On mine, I have to take it apart (not a big job) and clean it, maybe once a year.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I use a vacuum cleaner to suck all the dust from the fans etc. Just take your time..
I wouldn't use a vacuum, I wouldn't risk damaging my machine. Canned air or an air compressor works though.

So apparently you can’t drop your frames during cinematics, and my graphics card is very old. The game has been known to fry graphics cards, so that might be the problem
Make sure that all your fans are running.

Also, a game isn't as likely to kill a graphics card as a bad driver.

Upvote 0

TenthAveN

Puppies are an acceptable form of currency.
Jun 18, 2020
North Texas
✟49,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I wouldn't use a vacuum, I wouldn't risk damaging my machine. Canned air or an air compressor works though.

Make sure that all your fans are running.

Also, a game isn't as likely to kill a graphics card as a bad driver.
What if that graphics card has been in use since at least 2013?

Upvote 0

Wookiee

Cool. Cool, cool, cool.
Jul 19, 2013
Australia
✟50,740.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Don't use a vacuum, used compressed air (buy a tin if you're not confident about an actual air compressor), make sure the computer is unplugged, hold fans still while blowing air directly at them (or use a screwdriver or something to stop it if you can't physically hold it).

And if you're really unsure, take it to someone who does know what they're doing.

• Agree
Reactions: elytron
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟392,742.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One thing, when using compressed air / blow drier or anything like that.
Don't do it in your house. Depending on when you last did it, you might have a lot of dust kicked up, and it's best to do it outside (wearing a mask if you still have em)

Upvote 0