Which would you watch (or recommend) if any?

• Total voters

GabrielTheWorshipper

I'm a nerdy guy... lol
Site Supporter
Apr 20, 2017
Indiana
✟54,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hello! So I am a Christian male who loves watching animes for their great storytelling and I'm also a big fan of love stories and also some fun action animes or comedies.

But the issue is that I spent such a long time to track down clean animes that I could feel decent while watching. I would like to share my experiences for you all, since no one out there seems to really give thorough reviews on the morals in anime. All you get is a simple rating at best, and that could be anything from a show with simple action to one with sex scenes. And it can be hard to tell which are which. So, I made a list detailing some of the animes that I enjoyed watching with my sister or whole family. Many of these might have some mild language, tony bit of violence or something like that, but they do not have anything near naked characters or sex scenes.

Many animes that people recommend to men like me as "clean" end up having nudity all over, and it's silly that people see that as being clean.

"Why these animes? Many childrens' shows from Japan have nothing bad in them!"

Well that's because these are aimed toward more wide audiences. These are as clean as adult animes get, ones that adults take serious and enjoy watching with the family.
My family consists of all older kids now, like 19+, and it's entirely up to you whether any of these are suitable for your children. And if not, sticking with things like Pokémon and Digimon is more suitable.

"Fullmoon Wo Sagashite"
(50 episodes)
Language: Brief Mild Language
Sexual Content: One character dresses showing her legs and belly throughout the entire series. Some adult subject matter.
Violence: None

"Twelve-year-old Mitsuki Kouyama is a talented girl who dreams of becoming a singer, but she is afflicted with sarcoma, which is curable only through a surgery that could ruin her vocal cords, and lose her ability to sing. Mitsuki's dreams seem impossible to achieve, until one day she is visited by two shinigami, whom only she could see. The shinigami tell Mitsuki that she has only one year left to live."

"Kids on the Slope"
(12 episodes)
Language: Infrequent language, but no F words.
Sexual Content: Women being harassed, but it never leads to anything at all. Contains brief and mild scene of a boy thinking of a girl sexually, but she is dressed well and it doesn't go far at all. A man is seen shirtless with a woman and assumed to have been messing around with her, but it turns out he was just posing shirtless for a painting.
Violence: Nothing worth noting, just a fight scene with some punching.

"The beginning of summer, 1966; because of his father's job situation, freshman high school student Kaoru Nishimi moves by himself to live with relatives. Kaoru was an honor roll student who tended to keep to himself, but meeting notorious "bad boy" Sentaro Kawabuchi starts to change him. Through his devil-may-care classmate, Kaoru learns how much fun it is to play jazz and finds the first person he can call a real friend."

"Kobato"
(24 episodes)
Language: None/Mild depending on subs
Sexual Content: None
Violence: None

"A strange girl comes to Earth and desires to become human. But she must first heal the hearts of others in order to do so. She meets a rude young man who is sweet inside and cares for children at a daycare. The main plot is a friendship between them building as well as her helping others."

"Moribito"
(20 episodes)
Language: Mild and frequent uses of damn
Sexual Content: You see the top of a woman's breasts and it is implied that she is topless, though nothing is seen and it is for practical and non sexual reasons.
Violence: Intense action sequences with very mild blood and deaths are shown infrequently

"Balsa, spear wielder and bodyguard, is a wandering warrior who has vowed to atone for eight deaths in her past by saving an equivalent number of lives. On her journey, she saves Prince Chagum, and is tasked with becoming his bodyguard. His own father, the emperor, has ordered his assassination. The two begin a perilous journey to ensure the survival of the prince."

"Mushi-Shi"
(20 episodes)
Language: Mild (Only damn)
Violence: Frequent Deaths, brief blood as well as dark and frightening circumstances

"There are creatures known as Mushi who are invisible to most people. A man named Ginko, a Mushi Master who has studied them closely his whole life, travels all over to find people with all sorts of situations regarding the Mushi."

"Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle"
(50 episodes)
Language: Very Mild
Violence: Brief Mild Violence
(OVAs/additional bonus episodes are very dark and violent with blood and gore)

"Three individuals run away from their home worlds and come in contact with one another. One is a Japanese warrior who was banished for violent acts. Another ran away because he was scared. And lastly, a young man left his home to travel in order to collect and recover the lost memories of a princess. They decide to stay together and travel to all sorts of worlds to help each other fulfill their goals."

I also love others. Like Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, Usagi Drop, etc. The first is about kids surviving after the events of an earthquake, and it's a very emotional story. The second is about a man growing up and maturing when he suddenly decides to take in a young girl whose father passed away.

Reactions: AlexB23

GabrielTheWorshipper

I'm a nerdy guy... lol
Site Supporter
Apr 20, 2017
Indiana
✟54,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I was literally going to ask a question about this!!!!
Awesome this post is super helpful

Have you watched steins;gate? What do you think of it?

Thanks! I'm glad you like it! :) I might post more details here later on. I haven't watched it, but I recognize that name. What's it like? What is your favorite type of anime?

Upvote 0

MustardSeeed

Ambivert
Mar 7, 2017
canada
✟40,822.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Thanks! I'm glad you like it! :) I might post more details here later on. I haven't watched it, but I recognize that name. What's it like? What is your favorite type of anime?

:) Yes, post details!
It's hard to describe what it's like honestly! If your into philosophy, time travel, metaphysics ... it's definitely worth watching. It's one of those animes that I would recommend to people who think it's just "cartoons" It isn't extremely confusing but it's one of those shows that you need to re-watch and pay close attention. I loved the innocent humor (in most cases) and personality of the characters! I would recommend you watch it!

My favorite anime is obviously FMA! Although I did enjoy Attack On Titan (obviously) - but Beyond the Boundary really pulled at my heart strings! I also watched Noragami and it was good too
I don't really know the anime genres but I like the ones with romance

Upvote 0

GabrielTheWorshipper

I'm a nerdy guy... lol
Site Supporter
Apr 20, 2017
Indiana
✟54,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
:) Yes, post details!
It's hard to describe what it's like honestly! If your into philosophy, time travel, metaphysics ... it's definitely worth watching. It's one of those animes that I would recommend to people who think it's just "cartoons" It isn't extremely confusing but it's one of those shows that you need to re-watch and pay close attention. I loved the innocent humor (in most cases) and personality of the characters! I would recommend you watch it!

My favorite anime is obviously FMA! Although I did enjoy Attack On Titan (obviously) - but Beyond the Boundary really pulled at my heart strings! I also watched Noragami and it was good too
I don't really know the anime genres but I like the ones with romance

I might sometime tomorrow! :) I sadly haven't watched an anime in a while. I want to get back to researching and find some! I most recently loved watching Ouran Highschool. Haruhi was sooooo cuuuute! LOL I crushed so much! XD Hahaha I got very involved toward the end, too. I loved the humor.

The show sounds really good! I like those too, many animes have much deeper plots than people know. Kids on the Slope is as high quality as drama gets. Mushy-Shi is great for mystery. Full moon is the closest thing to a kids show on my list, and it's a great story about a singer. I got soooo emotional with that one! Moribito is great for people who like action, and it has a fair amount of story. Kobato is a great romance! It was so adorable! I shipped them so much. <3 haha I love romance in shows, too! I'm a total girl when it comes to that. lol My siblings tease me about it. I'm so corny. XD Which ones have good romance? I got on a kick of foreign romance movies one time. I found some good ones.

I surprisingly haven't watched any of those animes! I bet AOT is awesome, but I sorta dodged that one. Don't know about the others, but I have planned on watching FMA for quite some time now! I probably should watch it. How about Ghibli? Some of those are fantastic. Howl, Spirited Away, and oh my gosh Whisper of the Heart was a cute love story! I loved Arrietty, too. :)

Upvote 0

MustardSeeed

Ambivert
Mar 7, 2017
canada
✟40,822.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I might sometime tomorrow! :) I sadly haven't watched an anime in a while. I want to get back to researching and find some! I most recently loved watching Ouran Highschool. Haruhi was sooooo cuuuute! LOL I crushed so much! XD Hahaha I got very involved toward the end, too. I loved the humor.

The show sounds really good! I like those too, many animes have much deeper plots than people know. Kids on the Slope is as high quality as drama gets. Mushy-Shi is great for mystery. Full moon is the closest thing to a kids show on my list, and it's a great story about a singer. I got soooo emotional with that one! Moribito is great for people who like action, and it has a fair amount of story. Kobato is a great romance! It was so adorable! I shipped them so much. <3 haha I love romance in shows, too! I'm a total girl when it comes to that. lol My siblings tease me about it. I'm so corny. XD Which ones have good romance? I got on a kick of foreign romance movies one time. I found some good ones.

I surprisingly haven't watched any of those animes! I bet AOT is awesome, but I sorta dodged that one. Don't know about the others, but I have planned on watching FMA for quite some time now! I probably should watch it. How about Ghibli? Some of those are fantastic. Howl, Spirited Away, and oh my gosh Whisper of the Heart was a cute love story! I loved Arrietty, too. :)

HOW HAVE YOU NOT WATCHED FMA? No seriously. It is so hard to watch anime after FMA because nothing compares! It has a lot of alchemy and there are also characters based on the seven deadly sins like Lust, Greed, etc. so I would tell you to use your own discernment if you want to watch it

I think the animes you listed are typical guy animes ... LOL. For romance, start with Beyond the Boundary

I'll check out some of the ones you listed because like you I don't have a lot of time nowadays. I've been too busy "adulting"

The fact that you haven't watched AOT is even odder than the fact that you haven't watched FMA. Even non-anime watchers love AOT lol - but I guess it's super overrated so I can see why you dodged it

I love studio ghilibi! I have Spirited Away on DVD and I have also watched Howl's Moving Castle! I'll check out the Whisperer one because I do love studio g movies

Upvote 0

GabrielTheWorshipper

I'm a nerdy guy... lol
Site Supporter
Apr 20, 2017
Indiana
✟54,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
HOW HAVE YOU NOT WATCHED FMA? No seriously. It is so hard to watch anime after FMA because nothing compares! It has a lot of alchemy and there are also characters based on the seven deadly sins like Lust, Greed, etc. so I would tell you to use your own discernment if you want to watch it

I think the animes you listed are typical guy animes ... LOL. For romance, start with Beyond the Boundary

I'll check out some of the ones you listed because like you I don't have a lot of time nowadays. I've been too busy "adulting"

The fact that you haven't watched AOT is even odder than the fact that you haven't watched FMA. Even non-anime watchers love AOT lol - but I guess it's super overrated so I can see why you dodged it

I love studio ghilibi! I have Spirited Away on DVD and I have also watched Howl's Moving Castle! I'll check out the Whisperer one because I do love studio g movies

It sounds really great! I want to watch it. I have had it in mind for so long, but I just haven't started watching it. I'll make sure to watch it before long.

Haha I watch animes that most guys would like on occasion... but I get more hyped over the romance and drama! Tsubasa was the most I liked an action anime. The characters are so fun, and it was such a blast to watch with my siblings! I've seen all of it twice now. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll take a look at that! ^_^

Alright, hope ya like them! Me too. I have work and driving practice. It's fun to finally be able to drive to Starbucks! lol I make YouTube videos for a living. Yeah I know, most people consider it not to be a job. lol What is your adult life like? haha I hope you're doing well. ^_^

Well my sister told me she tried to watch it and it was just too violent and had a lot of language or something. So I suppose that's why. We dodged most popular animes. XD lol

Me too! They're great. I was very impressed when I watched all the Ghibli movies. They went down hill of course as I got more and more desperate and digged into less popular ones. Totoro was really good, too!

• Friendly
Reactions: MustardSeeed
Upvote 0

Minoa

Jul 29, 2016
North America
✟10,058.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I love Moribito, I watched twice and plan to own that one....just absolutely a great anime.

A cute one I didn't finish was called something like Sketchbook S (I forgot exactly, hope to watch it more sometime). It's basically an absent-minded older sis who loves drawing and cats, who is in high school I recall.

Sword of the Stranger is a great anime film, I can even recall the sadness as I write. It has some blood yes and sacrifice concepts, but it's about the story, which is a moving tear-jerk type of movie more about bonding and trust when one just cannot trust anymore. A really great soundtrack too (I bought both the dvd and soundtrack without hesitation when they were still available lol). Made by the people who did FMA as a studio anniversary celebration project.

Chi's Sweet Home
if you love cute, or cats....you have to watch it. It's about a lost kitten who finds himself taken in by a family and figuring out the cathood life day by day, totally adorable.

I also second that you watch FMA. SOmething nobody mentioned yet I think is that there is also a lot of interesting thought-provoking concepts, it digs deep on morality of what is taboo for Man to do, touches on things like belief in a god, you see characters breaking and going through a lot of things and questioning their life's work. It is also a funny anime, has a lot of balance so you won't just fall into a pit of depression (Which you will if they won't balance it XD)

Upvote 0

Sarham41

Jul 14, 2021
Delta
✟15,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Thank you, Gabrieltheworshipper, for this list! I was looking for more shows to add to my clean anime list.

I too love the storytelling and heart that is in anime, and like you, am not a fan of all the immoral stuff. If it helps, I have a list of clean anime on my anime_planet list page Clean anime - by Sarham41 | Anime-Planet. There are quite a few to choose from, and I have added my commentary on what each show may contain that might be questionable so that you can decide if it is one you want to watch.

I truly hope that since there are more of us prudes who enjoy anime out there that maybe there will be a bigger selection for us in the future, as well as accurate ratings to help us decide on what to watch. IMDB Parental Guide has been truly helpful in helping me decide whether to risk watching certain anime. And I have tried to add anything I come across to IMDB with the anime I've watched to help others who are looking for clean anime.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bramblewild

Apr 16, 2019
Kentucky
✟47,634.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here are some suggestions for safe or mostly safe shows:
Tonari no Seki-kun/My Neighbor Seki
Snow White with the Red Hair
Haibane Renmei
March Comes In Like A Lion
Yona of the Dawn
Orange
Violet Evergarden
Trigun
Wolf's Rain
Erased
Kino's Journey, both old and new versions
Library War
Sweetness and Lightning
One Week Friends
My Roommate is a Cat

And some movies:
Almost anything from Studio Ghibli. To name a few: Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Whisper of the Heart.
A Silent Voice
Maquia: When the Promised Flower Blooms
Lu Over The Wall
The Girl Who Leaped Through Time
Summer Wars

Upvote 0

Alistair_Wonderland

Apr 14, 2018
New Philadelphia
✟28,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
All depends upon what tempts you and what doesn't, my dude.

In the realm of comedy, Gabriel Dropout is one of my all-time favorites, and if you don't mind the satirized demons and angels (Christianity is treated as an interesting mythology by most of Japan), then the show is pretty inoffensive.

As for good story, Love Chunibyo, and Other Delusions is a romantic story which is funny, emotional, and has a very touching message about being true to yourself and embracing your quirks.

My Hero Academia is relatively inoffensive. While there are some sexy bits and one or two revealing outfits, it's much les sexually charged than a lot of animes.

I watch plenty of animes, but yes, some can get a bit saucy. I generally don't care, as I believe God made our interests and that, provided that they don't cross the line into lust, we're free to enjoy them. But if you want something a little more tame, I recommend just doing what I do and googling the name of the anime followed by "parents guide", which will usually lead you to IMDB or some such site that can tell you what's what and how much of this or that there is.

Upvote 0