Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I’m not so sure I agree with the idea that it’s lawful to eat pork if you’re starving. The writer of that article, in the comments, said life preservation is more important than obeying the Torah.

I agree with the idea of life preservation, such as an ox in the ditch on Shabbat, but i just don’t know about it being lawful to eat pork if you’re starving.

Israelites in the time of the Maccabees were tortured and had their tongues cut out because they refused to eat pork and transgress the Torah.

• Informative
Reactions: Erik Nelson
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Genesis 9

God’s Covenant With Noah
9 Then God blessed Noah and his sons, saying to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the earth. 2 The fear and dread of you will fall on all the beasts of the earth, and on all the birds in the sky, on every creature that moves along the ground, and on all the fish in the sea; they are given into your hands. 3 Everything that lives and moves about will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything.

Unclean food was foods that were "ceremonially unclean." However, food with blood in it is always unclean.

What's interesting about this is that Noah didn't consume meat before the flood, yet he knew the distinction between clean and unclean? Second, God told Noah that all the animals could be eaten at that time, making one wonder why there was a distinction between clean and unclean?

• Informative
Reactions: Erik Nelson
Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In regards to Noah being told he could eat every animal, Adam was told he could eat of every tree of the garden:

Genesis 2:16-17
And YHWH-Elohim took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.

And YHWH-Elohim commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

Could this be similar to how Noah was instructed that he could eat “every” animal? Adam was told he could eat “every” tree, although there was an exception.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
In regards to Noah being told he could eat every animal, Adam was told he could eat of every tree of the garden:

Genesis 2:16-17

Could this be similar to how Noah was instructed that he could eat “every” animal? Adam was told he could eat “every” tree, although there was an exception.

Yes, I've noticed this. However, why was there a distinction between clean and unclean at that time??

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes, I've noticed this. However, why was there a distinction between clean and unclean at that time??
Gen 9:3,4, "Every moving thing that lives shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things. But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat." YHWH was speaking to Noah and his sons (vs. 1). Noah knew the difference between clean and unclean animals. Therefore, when YHWH said, "Every moving thing," Noah knew that He meant every moving thing that was clean to eat. YHWH spoke similar words to Adam when He said, "every herb" and "every tree," shall be food for you (Gen 1:29). Adam obviously knew that YHWH meant every herb or tree that was edible, for many plants are poisonous to man and one tree was totally forbidden.

In Gen 8:21, YHWH said, " . . .neither will I again smite any more every thing living as I have done." Are we to understand this literally? Did YHWH smite those in the ark or aquatic life? No. Therefore, this verse needs to be qualified by understanding it to mean, "every thing living on the ground" as is revealed in Gen 7:22; " And every living substance was destroyed which was upon the face of the ground, both man, and cattle, and the creeping things, and the fowl of the heaven; and they were destroyed from the earth: and Noah only remained alive, and they that were with him in the ark.

Upvote 0