In the valley of the wind
✟20,550.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Not known to many, Claudette Colvin was the first to be arrested for refusing to give up her seat on a bus during segregation. Nine months before Rosa Parks. The NAACP felt Rosa Parks was a better icon because she was an adult, but also because Colvin was an unwed teenage mother. Leaders of the NAACP felt it wouldn't be a good look for the cause, which is really unfortunate because Colvin was cheated out her rightful place in history.

Before Rosa Parks, There Was Claudette Colvin : NPR

Claudette Colvin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Claudette Colvin

Claudette Colvin | Americans Who Tell The Truth

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Not known to many, Claudette Colvin was the first to be arrested for refusing to give up her seat on a bus during segregation. Nine months before Rosa Parks. The NAACP felt Rosa Parks was a better icon because she was an adult, but also because Colvin was an unwed teenage mother. Leaders of the NAACP felt it wouldn't be a good look for the cause, which is really unfortunate because Colvin was cheated out her rightful place in history.

Before Rosa Parks, There Was Claudette Colvin : NPR

Claudette Colvin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Claudette Colvin

Claudette Colvin | Americans Who Tell The Truth
Thank you for taking the time to make others aware of Claudette Colvin and the sacrifices she made to make a difference in the Civil Rights era.

The Other Rosa Parks: Now 73, Claudette Colvin Was First to Refuse Giving Up Seat on Montgomery Bus - YouTube

There was a discussion elsewhere where she came up, if interested, as seen here:

I quit a mother's organization (all "white") when they questioned my desire to hang invitation flyers in bodegas etc. in a less affluent, more 'colorful', section of town. The reason ? They feared women with fewer economic resources, women of color (in my view, moms "in the trenches" so to speak, who could give us such valuable insights from their experiences and struggles) might "need too much" from us (read: be asking for money).
Gxg (G²);63778624 said:
Technically, the same issues that the mother's organization faced were exactly in line with what other women of color experienced from other blacks - especially as it concerns the Black Bourgeoisie (more shared here, here and here).

I believe I shared this with you before - but as it concerns how social movements are given one image that history latches onto while those who experienced the same never got their due to long after. For in one of my Graduate School classes, another older black woman (in her late 60s) noted how the Civil Rights movement wasn't above political relations/setting things up to look one way when it was different and she noted the ways that some issues present today were present then when it came to not valuing young adults of a specific image/look - specifically in regards to those who don't look as "relatable" to the public.

The girl I'm talking on is Claudette Colvin. The 15yr girl who came before Rosa Parks was a young black female who was a single mom - and one who was more vocal in opposition - and they didn't want her representing the movement - and thus, they didn't make a public fuss when she got put off the bus for sitting down. The fact that she was darker also made a world of difference since there was an understanding that a public image of dark skin always seemed to be more controversial.

Apparently, while Rosa Parks was mellow, lighter skinned and middle aged, with “the right hair and the right look,” the teenager Colvin was “mouthy,” “emotional” and “feisty.” Claudette also got pregnant, and the father was a married man. Civil rights leaders perceived that the non-threatening Parks was much more likely to garner white sympathy than the impetuous rebel Colvin. “My mother told me to be quiet about what I did,” Colvin told the New York Times. “She told me: ‘Let Rosa be the one. White people aren’t going to bother Rosa– her skin is lighter than yours and they like her.” Much of this is interesting since it was Colvin, who as the federal government’s star witness in the landmark Browder v. Gayle, helped to end bus segregation in Alabama.
The fact that those issues happen WITHIN outsider communities always stands to bring home the point that there are no UNIVERSALS as to how all act

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PassionFruit

I woke up like dis
May 18, 2007
✟20,550.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Thank you for your response.

Respectability politics continues to have an impact the Black community to this day.

Claudette also got pregnant, and the father was a married man. Civil rights leaders perceived that the non-threatening Parks was much more likely to garner white sympathy than the impetuous rebel Colvin. “My mother told me to be quiet about what I did,” Colvin told the New York Times. “She told me: ‘Let Rosa be the one. White people aren’t going to bother Rosa– her skin is lighter than yours and they like her."

Sad but not surprising. Colorism also is still an issue we're still dealing with. I was planning to start a thread about Rose Parks and her politics. She was also an anti-rape activist and was a great admirer of Malcolm X. But I am glad that Colvin is starting to get the recognition she deserves.

Upvote 0

ElizaRN

be silly. be honest. be kind.
Jul 28, 2014
✟15,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Isn't it interesting how history can be so selective with things? Or how one decision can change people's perceptions in the future? Very interesting.

Thank you for bringing up Claudette Colvin. I will admit to not knowing about her (I am more of a world/ancient history kind of gal), but am reading up now.

Upvote 0

PassionFruit

I woke up like dis
May 18, 2007
✟20,550.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Isn't it interesting how history can be so selective with things? Or how one decision can change people's perceptions in the future? Very interesting.

Thank you for bringing up Claudette Colvin. I will admit to not knowing about her (I am more of a world/ancient history kind of gal), but am reading up now.

Absolutely. Growing up, I didn't even known about Claudette Colvin. Not even during Black History Month. These things aren't taught in mainstream American History.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Thank you for your response.

Respectability politics continues to have an impact the Black community to this day.

Sad but not surprising. Colorism also is still an issue we're still dealing with. I was planning to start a thread about Rose Parks and her politics. She was also an anti-rape activist and was a great admirer of Malcolm X. But I am glad that Colvin is starting to get the recognition she deserves.
Indeed - and I am glad that others are becoming more aware of the nuances that are present with regards to the issues of respectability. As it concerns Rosa Parks, there was an excellent book I was reminded of that addressed some of the background that motivated her and others to resist.... It is entitled At the Dark End of the Street: Black Women, Rape, and Resistance - A New History of the Civil Rights Movement from Rosa Parks to the Rise of Black Power" ...and it's truly one of the best works I've seen on the issue

Upvote 0