New Mexico
✟54,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How much noise and roudiness is acceptable in children's ministry settings? It's part of my teaching strategy to capture children's attention/hearts and merrily lead them to Jesus through less structured classes. I go for VBS pep when working with kids complete with props and messy crafts. It's my preferred approach. I love it.

The problem is others seem to disapprove if the kids aren't sitting quietly and silently raising their hands more often than not. Our second to last church even unscheduled me from teaching and never gave me an explanation though I asked them twice. So, I've stopped working with kids in recent years.

Anyway we are about to move back across the country. I would like to try volunteering in children's ministry again at our new church but fear my less structured teaching style might bother people. Even my husband says he can't stand how I manage my classes. I don't do so well on those online quizzes with classroom scenarios either.

Are there classroom management skills I need to adopt? Or maybe I should just insist on being a helper only? Or find a new ministry avenue?

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The problem is others seem to disapprove if the kids aren't sitting quietly and silently raising their hands more often than not
In my experience, it's boys who do this more often than girls. Nb4 girls do that too, yes yes yes I acknowledge that.

Just saying, boys do it more.

And there's a type of female teacher who doesn't seem to understand that boys are boys, not defective girls. I don't know if that's the exact problem you had in your previous children's ministry but, either way, it's clear that you have a style that some people don't like as much.

It is possible that you've got the right idea but the wrong venue. Have you considered pursuing a career in education so you can teach at a private school or montessori or something? Because it sounds like your teaching style is more personal, with a semi-unstructured environment. And it might be that your real aptitude is with educating children outside of a Sunday group ministry type of deal.

I'm not trying to talk you out of anything. I'm trying to give you more options, that's all.

Reactions: HappyHope
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How much noise and roudiness is acceptable in children's ministry settings? It's part of my teaching strategy to capture children's attention/hearts and merrily lead them to Jesus through less structured classes. I go for VBS pep when working with kids complete with props and messy crafts. It's my preferred approach. I love it.

The problem is others seem to disapprove if the kids aren't sitting quietly and silently raising their hands more often than not. Our second to last church even unscheduled me from teaching and never gave me an explanation though I asked them twice. So, I've stopped working with kids in recent years.

Anyway we are about to move back across the country. I would like to try volunteering in children's ministry again at our new church but fear my less structured teaching style might bother people. Even my husband says he can't stand how I manage my classes. I don't do so well on those online quizzes with classroom scenarios either.

Are there classroom management skills I need to adopt? Or maybe I should just insist on being a helper only? Or find a new ministry avenue?
Being a helper in a class with a teacher who has good classroom management is a good start.

When I teach, no one is allowed to talk while I'm talking....especially in the beginning...... you can ease up after you know you can maintain control. It is hard make sure everyone hears and understands if many are talking at the same time.

They must respect you first.....then they will love you later.. If they are your friend and have fun first....it will be harder to get them to respect you later.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HappyHope

Jul 22, 2019
New Mexico
✟54,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Excellent suggestions! Thanks. I did change my major to and from education many times in college. Bible classes won out though. I do well one-on-one (online ESL classes- lots of great parental feedback) and in smaller Sunday school classes. Maybe I'll just help during VBS seasons at church. But VBS won't be enough time to build authentic relationships with some children that require such connections to truly hear the gospel message. Hmmm. Oh well, it's in the Lord's hands. Thanks for replying!

Upvote 0

HappyHope

Jul 22, 2019
New Mexico
✟54,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Being a helper in a class with a teacher who has good classroom management is a good start.

When I teach, no one is allowed to talk while I'm talking....especially in the beginning...... you can ease up after you one you can maintain control. It is hard make sure everyone hears and understands if many are talking at the same time.

They must respect you first.....then they will love you later.. If they are your friend and have fun first....it will be harder to get them to respect you later.
I've heard this classroom management principle for years. I even studied other people doing it. I get it until it's time to implement it. I do it at home with my kids naturally. Set the rules firmly and then allow for relaxation depending on progress and cooperation.
I was the super shy kid in school. I only had courage to speak when there was noise/mass participation and I was least likely to be heard. I have a heart to bring out every kid's voice I think. Sigh.

I'm with you on the helper thing. Let someone else manage the class. At least I get to be there.

Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I taught K Sunday school at one church & 3rd grade at another

did a craft at the end of class for the K kids as it kept them busy and quiet for when parents picked them up

I didn't want a helper so no adult in classroom with me

what grade were you teaching?
the churches gave us books with curriculum to follow so it was somewhat structured but I always prepared more so we wouldn't run out of things to do

for most part, busy kids are quiet kids

Last edited:
Reactions: HappyHope
Upvote 0

HappyHope

Jul 22, 2019
New Mexico
✟54,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I taught K Sunday school at one church & 3rd grade at another

did a craft at the end of class for the K kids as it kept them busy and quiet for when parents picked them up

I didn't want a helper so no adult in classroom with me

what grade were you teaching?
the churches gave us books with curriculum to follow so it was somewhat structured but I always prepared more so we wouldn't run out of things to do

for most part, busy kids are quiet kids

I've worked with kids 0-12 years-old in church settings. I'm not working in children's ministry right now. Just want to get back into it when we move to a new church in a few months. Craft time is quiet a lot. I agree. I am quick to submit to curriculum policy. I'm not a natural rebel.

I've worked with the assigned curriculum before. I've also been given free reign to choose my own curriculum/games/crafts. I've got lots of reputable material from homeschooling my kids over the years.

I've gotten authentic kudos from pastors who seem to appreciate what I'm trying to do. (Bless you Miss J. & Pastor D-- may retirement be treating you well, sir.) And I have received questionable praise from less enthusiastic supporters. The whole unscheduling me from children's ministry floored me with no explanation...just empty praise. But that church had more issues than I know what to do with. Also, my hubbykins is a bit OCD. He can keep a class quiet though. It's amazing we love each other, lol.

I think I'll play it by ear. If I cause issues in the future, I will gracefully bow out.

• Friendly
Reactions: mama2one
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have a heart to bring out every kid's voice I think. Sigh.

The best way to do this is to ensure that they are not being spoken over while they are speaking

I'm with you on the helper thing. Let someone else manage the class. At least I get to be there.

This is only for a time....then you can gradually move to becoming the lead teacher.

I was a public school teacher.....I taught math at a testing grade level in which the school's overall grade was measured by. It was important that every student heard and understood each concept I was trying to teach in order to do well on the test. Good management was a requirement....or I'd be replaced. So I was forced to have it. I reckon the importance of every child understanding the gospel is greater than Math.

Children love and appreciate rules and order....even when it seems, at first, that they dont.

Every student hated me the first few weeks.....and loved me by the end of the year....because they realized that what I did was for their own good......

Most of them them still reach on to me 20 years later....some thanked me....others apologized for giving me a hard time......All of them still respect and love me now.....calling me Mr. even though we are less than 10 years apart in age........ All because I chose not to be their friend, when I was supposed to be their teacher.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HappyHope

Jul 22, 2019
New Mexico
✟54,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The best way to do this is to ensure that they are not being spoken over while they are speaking

This is only for a time....then you can gradually move to becoming the lead teacher.

I was a public school teacher.....I taught math at a testing grade level in which the school's overall grade was measured by. It was important that every student heard and understood each concept I was trying to teach in order to do well on the test. Good management was a requirement....or I'd be replaced. So I was forced to have it. I reckon the importance of every child understanding the gospel is greater than Math.

Children love and appreciate rules and order....even when it seems, at first, that they dont.

Every student hated me the first few weeks.....and loved me by the end of the year....because they realized that what I did was for their own good......

Most of them them still reach on to me 20 years later....some thanked me....others apologized for giving me a hard time......All of them still respect and love me now.....calling me Mr. even though we are less than 10 years apart in age........ All because I chose not to be their friend, when I was supposed to be their teacher.
Wish words. I can only imagine the pressure you were under. I wouldn’t quite categorize my methods as weak buddy buddy sauce suggesting laziness or insecurity needing students to be my friend at all times. I was respected, well- loved and saw results. I still keep the cards & other mementos I was given. But the thought of shutting any kid down makes me afraid Ill never get them back. Perhaps this is a misconception on my part. I do appreciate your insight.

• Friendly
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

HappyHope

Jul 22, 2019
New Mexico
✟54,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wonder if my issue comes down to traditional discipleship methods verses traditional classroom management skills. One earns respect slowly through invitation. The other seems to demand it early on. Maybe? Not sure. I'll be praying about this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums