Oct 14, 2004
mountain grove missouri
Visit site
✟8,687.00
Faith
Christian
“Civility costs nothing and buys everything.”

Lady Mary Wortley Montagu

“You younger men, likewise, be subject to your elders; and all of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, for God is opposed to the proud, but gives grace to the humble. Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time, casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you.”
1 PETER 5:5-7 NASB

In these Scripture verses we find Peter speaking on humility. How odd it seems to me to find this trait in the apostle Peter. The Peter who I find in Scripture during the first years of the ministry of Jesus, is someone who is arrogant, who speaks without thinking, carries a sword and uses it, and has trouble getting along with his fellow workers in the ministry. What happened that brought about a change in the attitude of Peter? Peter penned these words some thirty years after Jesus first called peter into the ministry. I am sure that some of the change in Peter came as a natural process of growing up in spiritual maturity. But I also think that Peter had a spiritual awakening the night of the trial of Jesus. Peter had denied his friends, had denied Jesus, and had lied about whom he was. Jesus had told Peter that he would do this, but Peter could not see the truth until it happened. I find this to be true with myself at times. I fail to see the truth until it happens, and then it hurts because of the suddenness of its occurrence. How humbling it is to come to the realization, that what we thought to be so, is not so. As I grow older physically and also grow spiritually, I am learning to look for the road signs that point to the way of truth. They are there but can be missed when I spend too much time thinking only of myself. Being humble does not mean that we won’t be exalted, it just means that we won’t exalt ourselves. What words of wisdom Peter leaves for us from his personal experiences. “Humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time.” Not when I think I should be exalted, but at the proper time. In these times God does for me what I could not do for myself…………………..JRE

HUMILITY PRAYER
Author unknown

Lord, I am far too much influenced by what people think of me.

Which means that I am always pretending to be either richer or smarter or nicer than I really am.

Please prevent me from trying to attract attention.

Don’t let me gloat over praise on the one hand or be discouraged by criticism on the other.

Nor let me waste time weaving imaginary situations in which the most heroic, charming, witty person present is myself.

Show me how to be humble of heart like you.

AA Step Seven: “Humbly ask Him to remove our shortcomings.”