Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The polarization of U.S. society sank to a new low this month when White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders was asked by restaraunt owner Stephanie Wilkinson to leave The Red Hen in Lexington, Virginia, because Sanders worked for President Trump. Wilkinson told the Washington Post, "This feels like the moment in our democracy when people have to make uncomfortable actions and decisions to uphold their morals."

Continued below.
Civility and Civil Disobedience — a New Low

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Seriously? The editorial writers have no sense of history and no sense of the present if they consider a business owner asking a White House staffer to leave a "new low" in civility. The staffer's boss called for violence at his pep rallies, actually separated young children from their mothers, some of them mere toddlers, and then lied and said he had no choice because of the Democrats' law, then turned around and stopped his vicious policy - but asking someone to leave a restaurant is the "new low" in incivility? Ridiculous.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
:rolleyes:
So back to the point of the article and what it actually said.

The anniversary of King's tragic death serves as a reminder of where fevered rhetoric can lead but what real civil disobedience should look like. In 1957 King wrote about the power of nonviolence. The nonviolent resister, he wrote, "does not seek to humiliate or defeat the opponent, but to win his friendship and understanding. ...And so at the center of our movement stood the philosophy of love."
The Power of Non-violence | Teaching American History

What can Catholics do? First, even when we might disagree over politics or policies, we can offer to a divided America a clear moral vision founded on the truth and love that flow from life in Christ.

Again-
Continued below.
http://m.ncregister.com/57287/d

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Being asked to leave a restaurant because of the politics one identifies with which has nothing to do with politics is ridiculous bigotry, and I do hope that restaurant goes out of business because of it. They may have increased business for a time because they're making headlines, but when the dust settles, conservatives may vote with their money against this restaurant on sheer principal. I think only major chains like McDonalds could come back from such an irresponsible and reckless display of intolerance.

Upvote 0
Jul 3, 2018
Georgia
✟15,703.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What is wrong with refusing service to those you find morally reprehensible? I take no issue with those who elect not to make cakes for homosexuals or not to make food for mouthpieces of evil (unless they are starving of course, then their victimhood would Trump ha! their actions.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,113.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I strongly disagree with the restaurant owner. However, this isn't exactly the first case where service service has been refused because of moral beliefs. In this case, a business chose not to serve someone working for a particular political party. The owner certainly has that right.

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hypothetically, if a Trump supporter were to go into a liberal owned business and request they make something that says, "I love Trump," then I think it would be reasonable to allow the business to refuse to do it for reasons of conscience if they strongly disagree with President Trump's agenda. But all Sarah Huckabee Sanders did was show up there to eat. She did not make any kind of extraordinary special request. And they refused her service just because she happens to work for the president and for no other reason. So I think it was very unreasonable for them to refuse service to her based on that alone.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,113.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
To be clear, we are talking about what is reasonable. A restaurant owner certainly has the right not to serve someone wearing a Trump hat in public, not allowing his establishment to be an advertisement for something he considers immoral.

Hypothetically, if a Trump supporter were to go into a liberal owned business and request they make something that says, "I love Trump," then I think it would be reasonable to allow the business to refuse to do it for reasons of conscience if they strongly disagree with President Trump's agenda. But all Sarah Huckabee Sanders did was show up there to eat. She did not make any kind of extraordinary special request. And they refused her service just because she happens to work for the president and for no other reason. So I think it was very unreasonable for them to refuse service to her based on that alone.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums