Cities are banning drive-thrus to improve Americans' health

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
A growing number of local legislatures in cities across the country want to put an end to drive-thru windows.
n August, Minneapolis became the latest city to pass an ordinance banning the construction of new restaurant drive-thrus. Officials say the ban will help curb pollution, make the city more walkable and improve health problems pertaining to obesity. Other places that have enacted similar measures say they are aiming to combat traffic, cut carbon monoxide emissions and litter.

But fear not, Chick-fil-A fiends, the zoning changes currently in effect only affect new construction. Thus far, cities in California, Missouri and New Jersey have implemented similar bans. Still, many consumers are worried about one of their favorite conveniences being taken away. Some have pointed out how important drive-thrus are for customers who are disabled, the elderly and parents who may not easily be able to get their kids out of the car for a quick bite.

Cities are banning drive-thrus to improve Americans' health — but will it work?

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The article makes some good points in that it's discriminatory toward people with physical disabilities, and the elderly.

As for obesity in my opinion if someone is looking to eat unhealthily they'll find a way no matter how inconvenient. That's an overall lifestyle choice that I think should be left to the individual to decide. Taking away those conveniences for the rest of the folks who are not obese is a bit overboard in my opinion.

Upvote 0

charsan

Charismatic Episcopal Church
Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Seems like they'd keep them for the disabled and elderly people to use. Another dopey "progressive" idea.

Exactly. It's all to try and control the masses slowly bringing their stupid communism to fruition, where they say what you can and can't do.

Upvote 0

fwGod

Dec 19, 2005
✟65,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
For: no possibility of allowing "vegan fast-food" businesses to open up.
For: I don't like talking to the fast food menu anyway. I prefer looking at a real person when ordering my food.
For: who likes using the drive thru full of bumper to bumper cars?

Against: the getting out of my car and going inside part. I know that it conflicts with my preference of talking to a person. (see next)

Alternative: bring back the method of an employee coming out to the customer in their parked car to take their order.

Against: some fast food places have an order menu inside for the customer to select their own foods&drinks etc. For those times when there's butt to butt pedestrians waiting in line to give their order at the counter.
I'm at a time in my life when standing too long can aggravate health issues.

I prefer that the employees operate any machines when I'm not familiar with them. I don't have a teenager that I can bring along to work the machines for me. So I'd just end up requesting employee assistance anyway.

Alternative: why not just go back to the customer sitting at a table and wait comfortably for an employee to come take their order?

Conclusion: why is the focus on the convenience of the business and not the convenience of the customer like it used to be? You people who haven't experienced that don't know what you've missed.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,790.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
A growing number of local legislatures in cities across the country want to put an end to drive-thru windows.
n August, Minneapolis became the latest city to pass an ordinance banning the construction of new restaurant drive-thrus. Officials say the ban will help curb pollution, make the city more walkable and improve health problems pertaining to obesity. Other places that have enacted similar measures say they are aiming to combat traffic, cut carbon monoxide emissions and litter.

But fear not, Chick-fil-A fiends, the zoning changes currently in effect only affect new construction. Thus far, cities in California, Missouri and New Jersey have implemented similar bans. Still, many consumers are worried about one of their favorite conveniences being taken away. Some have pointed out how important drive-thrus are for customers who are disabled, the elderly and parents who may not easily be able to get their kids out of the car for a quick bite.

Cities are banning drive-thrus to improve Americans' health — but will it work?
One thing they don't get is that when you turn a car off and let it sit then starting it up is inefficient. Gas mileage on a newly started car is terrible until the engine warms up, and it's the point where there is the most pollution. So their solution to pollution may not decrease it at all. Minneapolis has gone loony. So has the country.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums