"Let there be sheep!"
Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2009
✟272,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have come to the conclusion that my church is a circus. Has anyone out there experienced such utter disorder in a church that it seems like a circus? What did you do, how did you handle the situation? I have always tried to make things better, making every effort to keep God as my priority. But realizing that being part of a particular church is actually detrimental to my relationship with God because it's so distracting makes me sure of the thought that leaving is the best solution.

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have come to the conclusion that my church is a circus. Has anyone out there experienced such utter disorder in a church that it seems like a circus? What did you do, how did you handle the situation? I have always tried to make things better, making every effort to keep God as my priority. But realizing that being part of a particular church is actually detrimental to my relationship with God because it's so distracting makes me sure of the thought that leaving is the best solution.

In what way is it a circus? Do they have services where people jump around and make strange noises? (Serious question). I've seen ones like that. That's the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

There are a lot of churches that are very reverent in their worship format -- not "not all" churches choose that option... pick one that chooses to be reverent in worship service.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Has anyone out there experienced such utter disorder in a church that it seems like a circus?

A circus is actually a very organized and planned series of events.
I suspect that you mean that your church is not organized and is very amateurish in how it runs services.

Your options are limited.
Do raise your concerns with the minister.
If he sees nothing wrong with how he conducts a service or permits others to run them.
You either have to endure the chaos for the benefits of the teaching in the sermon and for the support and fellowship you get from the congregation or reluctantly leave.

A half way measure would after talking to the minister, try different local churches, see what they are like, or if it is particularly leaders, don't attend church when they are bringing there form of chaos to church.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Gentle Lamb, it would be wrong to "bail" on your church in a moment of anger. It would also be wrong to do so if you had done absolutely nothing to try to moderate or correct the situation, such as give whatever is wrong a little time to settle down or else to say something to the pastor or a board member.

From what you told us, however, you are in synch with all of that and are facing the very real prospects of the situation never improving.

If that's the case, do not be reluctant to seek out a better congregation.

Your perception is correct--staying in a congregation like yours is at present but which could fairly easily be replaced (similar doctrine, worship style, denomination, etc.) only serves to damage your walk with the Lord. I know people who are at odds with their church for some very good reasons, but they will not leave because "no one can chase me away" or "my family helped build this church" or something else like that...and they come home from every Sunday service simply boiling inside. There's nothing good about that.

You are not a quitter if, under the circumstances I think exist in your current congregation, you start looking around.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

EmmaCat

Happy Homemaker!
Site Supporter
May 5, 2016
Rural Western NC
✟327,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Maybe the OP meant that services are maybe chaotic with kids misbehaving or they may be disorganized.

Either way I agree with Tolworth John; express the concerns to the minister. Maybe others feel that way too.

All good things
Emmy

• Friendly
Reactions: StillGods
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm going to need clarification on what you mean by your church being a circus in order to help, because right now I'm thinking of a church where they let kids ride the elephants. (Which shouldn't be done, by the way - unlike horses, it is bad for elephants to be ridden.)

• Agree
Reactions: EmmaCat
Upvote 0

timf

Jun 12, 2011
✟79,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
It does not matter if by "circus" you meant entertainment or chaos. The results are the same. The fact that you are discerning a problem is a testimony to your growing faith and increasing maturity.

If those with whom you now associate have less interest in the path of growth you seek, you should seek out others who can aid and encourage your path closer to our Savior.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jaxxi

Half-ready for Anything.....
Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
God gave us the abilities to create and find the substances of the earth to enrich ours and others lives and we should use it! If we weren't supposed to use it, we wouldn't have been given the capacity to mentally understand it. Animals carry on with ailments because they are not equipped to build splints, and pull teeth, and kill pain. They go hand in hand. I just choose a Christian doctor to hit all bases!

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I left some Christian gatherings over the years for practicing unscriptural ways. The term: 'circus' does not make clear how the church group is failing your expectation. Some people like one thing and others like something else. For me I look to see a true BIBLE-ONLY church fellowship, which upholds "all the counsel of God" and be "rightly dividing the Word of Truth" as God enjoins us. I have read about such gatherings in the world at the Biblecounsel web site, which upholds only what Holy Scripture reveals for the saints. One can have whatever they choose in Christendom today, for their are many ideas people have.

Upvote 0

JulieB67

Apr 21, 2020
Ohio US
✟150,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For me I look to see a true BIBLE-ONLY church fellowship, which upholds "all the counsel of God" and be "rightly dividing the Word of Truth"

This is me as well. I actually left my church over false doctrines that I couldn't back up in the bible. And we are to search the scriptures for ourselves to show ourselves approved.

I just didn't want to continue to depend on sermons that might have one or two verses surrounded by something that has nothing to do with the meat of God's word. One could spend a lifetime doing that and never get taught properly the word of God. No offense to the strictly Bible teaching churches out there.

Reactions: Gentle Lamb
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Some ministers can deliver powerful sermons and others don't do so well at it. However, church membership/attendance is more than just learning the Bible. It's important to do that, it's true, but the organized church offers much more than that, so if anyone finds the congregation he or she is attending at present to be lacking...then by all means look around and find a better one!

That's better than just giving up and thinking that reading the Bible is sufficient. But by the way, anyone who has read the Bible carefully can hardly fail to note that the very first Christians did come together regularly in what we'd call a congregation to worship, fellowship, settle disputes, receive the Lord's Supper that Christ told his followers to observe, and more. All of that is sacrificed by giving up on participation in a congregation.

Reactions: Gentle Lamb
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JulieB67

Apr 21, 2020
Ohio US
✟150,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I fellowship with like minded people and take the Lord's supper, just not in an organized church setting.

That's just a personal choice for me, nothing against churches that straight up teach God's word. Many need actual churches for different reasons.

Upvote 0