Circumcision

• Thread starter Kiritsugu Emiyah
  • Start date
K

Kiritsugu Emiyah

I no longer support circumcision of infants. I think you should let the child grow and decide for their self.

The foreskin serves many good purposes and what problems it can bring can easily be solved by good hygiene. Considering that a major reason why circumcision is so popular in the USA is because people wanted to reduce masturbation in children that's another reason I don't like circumcision.

What do you guys think?

Is it still relevant to Christian living?

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I no longer support circumcision of infants. I think you should let the child grow and decide for their self.

The foreskin serves many good purposes and what problems it can bring can easily be solved by good hygiene. Considering that a major reason why circumcision is so popular in the USA is because people wanted to reduce masturbation in children that's another reason I don't like circumcision.

What do you guys think?
I know very little about it. I only found out what it is because of the Internet a few years ago. How common is it in the US? It is the norm? Based on the bit that I've read, it seems unnecessary.

Upvote 0
K

Kiritsugu Emiyah

Cearbhall

I know very little about it. I only found out what it is because of the Internet a few years ago. How common is it in the US? It is the norm? Based on the bit that I've read, it seems unnecessary.

I don't see very many male sex organs except in the inappropriate content I watch but I've never even seen a real uncircumcised penis. The typical mushroom like shape is all I've ever seen and it's completely unnatural. They have to literally cut that piece off.

I do know that most boys in the U.S are circumcised.

Reactions: Locutus
Upvote 0
K

Kiritsugu Emiyah

I was circumcised as an infant. It's never bothered me.

The screaming and blood filled diapers probably did bother you but you just don't remember and you aren't aware of how much sensitivity and protection you lost when that peice was removed. It actually provides lubricant, protection and increases sensitivity for things like sex.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate

I can find no compelling health reasons for circumcision. Further, I do not find any theological reasons why Christians should circumcise.

However, circumcision remains an initiation into the covenant for Jews. They circumcise on the eighth day as commanded by the scripture--they can't wait until their kids are "old enough to decide for themselves." Our country celebrates freedom of religion, so it is their right.

I believe circumcision is also part of Islam, although I don't know the details.

• Agree
Reactions: Joshua_5
Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Our country celebrates freedom of religion, so it is their right.
That only goes so far. There are limits. It's not like we allow FGM for religious reasons. We only think of circumcision differently because it's part of our Judeo-Christian cultural foundation and FGM isn't.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
That only goes so far. There are limits. It's not like we allow FGM for religious reasons. We only think of circumcision differently because it's part of our Judeo-Christian cultural foundation and FGM isn't.
Oh puhleeze. There is no comparison. Male circumcision is no different than cosmetic surgery; it's like having a boob job done, although much less traumatic or dangerous. Female genital mutilation is designed to prevent women from enjoying the natural pleasures of sex -- it butchers the natural function of a body part; it's like having a tongue cut out or a hand chopped off.

Upvote 0
K

Kiritsugu Emiyah

Oh puhleeze. There is no comparison. Male circumcision is no different than cosmetic surgery; it's like having a boob job done, although much less traumatic or dangerous. Female genital mutilation is designed to prevent women from enjoying the natural pleasures of sex -- it butchers the natural function of a body part; it's like having a tongue cut out or a hand chopped off.

If you look up the history of male circumcision in America, it is also largely for the purpose of preventing sexual enjoyment.

Here's a funny video about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCSWbTv3hng

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,189,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Oh puhleeze. There is no comparison.

Both are genital mutilation. That one is much milder than the other does not change what it is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Even ceremonial nicking of the [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] is illegal.

If you can't poke the [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse], I see no reason why removal of the foreskin from infants without medical reason is allowed.

That being said, even if clitoral nicking was allowed, I'd still decry both of them.

Upvote 0

K9_Trainer

Unusually unusual, absolutely unpredictable
May 31, 2006
✟18,437.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I'm against infant circumcision. I think it is something that an individual should be able to choose for himself, for his own reasons, when he becomes an adult....Not a decision for parents.

As far as it being a jewish tradition and freedom of religion justification of infant genital mutilation....An infant is incapable of choosing a religion. Just because an infant is incapable doesn't mean the parent can choose for it. Circumcision is permanent mutilation that the individual cannot go back and undo or repair if, later in life, he chooses a different religion or no longer wants to be affiliated with Judaism. I think the rights of an individual to his/her own body trumps the religious rights of the parents.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Both are genital mutilation. That one is much milder than the other does not change what it is.
Then you have to say that piercing is mutilation and tattoos are mutilation and cosmetic surgery is mutilation. Be consistent.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,189,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Then you have to say that piercing is mutilation and tattoos are mutilation and cosmetic surgery is mutilation. Be consistent.

They can be classed as that but there is one very important difference between them and male circumcision, consent. People chose to get tattoos, piercings or cosmetic surgery knowing full well what they are getting into and with their consent not only legally required but documented the same cannot be said for infant males having their genitalia cut up for no reason.

You compared female genital mutilation to losing a hand, is male genital mutilation somehow acceptable because it's more comparable to losing a finger tip?

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
They can be classed as that but there is one very important difference between them and male circumcision, consent.
So you are ready to protest the Mexican tradition of piercing the infant ears of their girls?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,189,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
So you are ready to protest the Mexican tradition of piercing the infant ears of their girls?

If the tradition does not include removing healthy body parts without medical necessity I am not seeing the parallel to male genital mutilation.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Oh puhleeze. There is no comparison.
If there is no medical justification for the irreversible removal of this genital part that does indeed increase sensation, then it's an easy comparison.
And there are milder forms of FGM (in the sense that they're reversible), such as just sewing up the vagina so that only menstrual blood can get through. But we still don't allow it in the US.

Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

I want to come out here and say I'm also against this. I'm against altering a child's body for non-medical reasons.

Most girls I know, including myself, had their ears pierced as infants or toddlers.

I never wanted my ears pierced. I haven't worn earrings since I was around five (family wanted me to wear them but let me stop when they realized I didn't like it), and my holes never healed right and will get infected if I don't clean them out every day. The only way to fix them is to get them pierced again and hope the holes heal right, which I don't want to experience again.

My sister and my best friend both didn't have their ears pierced as babies, and got them pierced when they were older because they wanted it. They're very happy with their decisions.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The screaming and blood filled diapers probably did bother you but you just don't remember and you aren't aware of how much sensitivity and protection you lost when that peice was removed. It actually provides lubricant, protection and increases sensitivity for things like sex.

I'm pretty sure I was anesthetized.

Upvote 0