Newbie no more!
Aug 20, 2011
United States of America
✟14,114.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
This question is mostly for the Jews that are on the forum: what if circumcision were outlawed? How would you react if you were pregnant or just had a son? This has happened in Germany recently and many Muslims and Jews are outraged by it. What would you do if this happened in America (or wherever you live)?

AND spiritually speaking, what is the outcome if your son cant be circumcised or at least not on the 8th day?

xDenax

Jewish
Jul 20, 2009
United States
✟13,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I suppose I just wouldn't do it. Honestly, I think there would be zero "spiritual" significance. I think the real issue would be finding a nice Jewish girl who would be willing to marry him. Of course, if it were outlawed for babies it would probably be still legal for a man over the age eighteen. I would HATE for him have to do that but I suppose that would be what he'd have to do.

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Jews would still circumcise. It was done in Russia when it was banned, along with hidden mikvehs for women to go to. One of our kollel rabbis, whose father is a mohel,spoke about the many times he went to Russian to do circumcisions.

I understand it is not true that Germany has banned ritual circumcision.

Upvote 0
M

MessianicMommy

It is not outlawed in Germany. Circumcision is in a legal gray area. It has been since WWII.

A court case was brought forward about a 4yr old Muslim boy, and the doctor was not found completely at fault. While the judge made a ruling that circumcision is "serious bodily harm" - that was for the court in Köln, and it sets a precedent.

So, Jews and Muslims have come together and gone to the European Commission and the German Parliament, talked with the Foreign Minister, the Prime Minister and the President - and we are looking at a law that takes circumcision out of a legal gray area, to an area protected solidly by the Grundgesetz under religious freedom.

However, due to this being such a legal gray area, neither of my boys are circumcised. The only way that we could get it to happen is by calling up a Mohel, who would not do it because I am not Jewish; or by getting a Muslim doctor to do it. I only know of one in the area, and I am not certain exactly how they do it, and whether or not it would be in agreement with what we believe should and should not be done.

I would have it done in the US under supervision by a doctor - but again, with the legal gray area, I do not know if a pediatrician would report us to CPS. (this was danced around a lot when I asked) Until it is protected, I can't say "oh well we're American and that's normal where I am from" or "It's my religious beliefs" and us be 100% protected from some crusading lawyer from taking us to court and taking our children away.

Yes, the Jewish hospitals have stopped circumcising. Mohels are treading on thin ice, and many have also stopped until the law says otherwise. There is word that IF something is not done, the Jewish community will leave, as the kosher slaughter ban has never been repealed since the Nazi time, and outlawing circumcision sends a clear "we are not allowed here" message.

Circumcision is legal for a child of the age of consent (16+). The lawyers and adults pushing for a law to forbid it, are pushing for it to be forbidden until a child is of majority age and can decide for himself if he wishes to be Muslim or Jewish. I disagree highly, but a lot of anti-circ people will not listen to reason (even Christians) when you explain that the bible says it must be done on day 8 barring illness... and that Muslims traditionally circ between ages 4-14.

There will certainly be a remnant that buck the law and do it anyway, but then there are risks involved due to there being mandatory pediatric checks here. Unless they are done at a Jewish hospital with doctors who agree with the parents, there can be risk of jail time, fines and CPS removing children. (This is just my limited understanding of where this is headed if the anti-circ groups have their way)

Most your anti-circ crowd will argue against FGM. Well - FGM is not something that any religion preaches or has in their sacred books. It is not in the Quran or the Hadith. It is a cultural understanding and rule - and we need to change the minds of people because it is damaging to health.

Male circumcision otoh, is not. It is in religious writing (including the Christian Bible) and is not harmful to a child, or something that will cause death if it is done correctly, and not removing more than Scripture calls for. Problem is, not everyone who circumcises is doing it from that angle, and the traditional American "in hospital" circ's take way more than they ever should... and have doctors that have no business touching a male child in that area for surgery doing the surgery (OB/Gyns, pediatricians who do not specialize in urology) and using methods that actually damage the function of that body part. So yeah, even I have big feelings about Routine Infant Circumcision.

Please see this thread in current events.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Avodat

Contending for Biblical truth
Jul 2, 2011
✟21,427.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Maybe they ought to address the Baptism of minors as well, then? Enforced membership of the world wide Church (or whatever other meanings may be applied to Baptism), with no assent being given by the child is, by the same token, an infringement of the child's freedom of choice to belong, or not. There is, of course, no physical change made to the child as in circumcision.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It is not outlawed in Germany. Circumcision is in a legal gray area. It has been since WWII.

A court case was brought forward about a 4yr old Muslim boy, and the doctor was not found completely at fault. While the judge made a ruling that circumcision is "serious bodily harm" - that was for the court in Köln, and it sets a precedent.

So, Jews and Muslims have come together and gone to the European Commission and the German Parliament, talked with the Foreign Minister, the Prime Minister and the President - and we are looking at a law that takes circumcision out of a legal gray area, to an area protected solidly by the Grundgesetz under religious freedom.

However, due to this being such a legal gray area, neither of my boys are circumcised. The only way that we could get it to happen is by calling up a Mohel, who would not do it because I am not Jewish; or by getting a Muslim doctor to do it. I only know of one in the area, and I am not certain exactly how they do it, and whether or not it would be in agreement with what we believe should and should not be done.

I would have it done in the US under supervision by a doctor - but again, with the legal gray area, I do not know if a pediatrician would report us to CPS. (this was danced around a lot when I asked) Until it is protected, I can't say "oh well we're American and that's normal where I am from" or "It's my religious beliefs" and us be 100% protected from some crusading lawyer from taking us to court and taking our children away.

Yes, the Jewish hospitals have stopped circumcising. Mohels are treading on thin ice, and many have also stopped until the law says otherwise. There is word that IF something is not done, the Jewish community will leave, as the kosher slaughter ban has never been repealed since the Nazi time, and outlawing circumcision sends a clear "we are not allowed here" message.

Circumcision is legal for a child of the age of consent (16+). The lawyers and adults pushing for a law to forbid it, are pushing for it to be forbidden until a child is of majority age and can decide for himself if he wishes to be Muslim or Jewish. I disagree highly, but a lot of anti-circ people will not listen to reason (even Christians) when you explain that the bible says it must be done on day 8 barring illness... and that Muslims traditionally circ between ages 4-14.

There will certainly be a remnant that buck the law and do it anyway, but then there are risks involved due to there being mandatory pediatric checks here. Unless they are done at a Jewish hospital with doctors who agree with the parents, there can be risk of jail time, fines and CPS removing children. (This is just my limited understanding of where this is headed if the anti-circ groups have their way)

Most your anti-circ crowd will argue against FGM. Well - FGM is not something that any religion preaches or has in their sacred books. It is not in the Quran or the Hadith. It is a cultural understanding and rule - and we need to change the minds of people because it is damaging to health.

Male circumcision otoh, is not. It is in religious writing (including the Christian Bible) and is not harmful to a child, or something that will cause death if it is done correctly, and not removing more than Scripture calls for. Problem is, not everyone who circumcises is doing it from that angle, and the traditional American "in hospital" circ's take way more than they ever should... and have doctors that have no business touching a male child in that area for surgery doing the surgery (OB/Gyns, pediatricians who do not specialize in urology) and using methods that actually damage the function of that body part. So yeah, even I have big feelings about Routine Infant Circumcision.

Please see this thread in current events.

That's good to know. From all of the reports that were going on by many groups, it seemed that circumcision was truly banned in Germany...and in light of how much there has often been discussion in Germany on respecting the Jewish people in light of the Holocaust, I was wondering how it'd ever get to the point that circumcision would not be allowed.

But then again, as many Jewish people have been involved as partipants saying circumcision isn't central to who they are, who knows..

Upvote 0

JRSut1000

Newbie no more!
Aug 20, 2011
United States of America
✟14,114.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I've noticed that Easy G, even within comments on different pages I have been truly shocked at the number of Jewish people that are either apathetic bout circumcision or actively anti-circ. I'm amazed because isn't circumcision a pretty big deal for the Jewish people?

Upvote 0

Qnts2

Jan 31, 2012
✟2,056.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I've noticed that Easy G, even within comments on different pages I have been truly shocked at the number of Jewish people that are either apathetic bout circumcision or actively anti-circ. I'm amazed because isn't circumcision a pretty big deal for the Jewish people?

To my knowledge, there is a small Jewish segment who oppose circumcision but have a substitute ritual. I think you will find some of their arguments if you search on Secular Judaism.

Just to double back to the original question. At various times in Jewish history, there have been temporary exceptions or alterations to the way Judaism is practiced, mainly in the face of potentially deadly consequences.

For example, if a baby is unhealthy, the circumcision is delayed for the health of the child.

Another example would be that Jewish people usually drink red wine ceremonially but in Europe the lie of the blood libel was being told about the Jewish people. The blood libel was the story that the Jewish people would murder babies and use their blood in the red wine. People actually believed this garbage but for the safety of the Jewish people, they temporarily switched to drinking white wine ceremonially so it was obvious there was no blood in the wine.

In Judaism, life is 'sacred' and it is viewed that if a law could cost a persons life, the sanctity of life comes first. And once the danger is over, then the mitzvah is to be followed. It is the balance of two laws and which is the more important law.

So, if a country outlawed circumcision, the Rabbinic reaction would depend on the consequences but if life was at stake, I would not be surprised to find the Rabbis choosing life first, until things got better.

Upvote 0
M

MessianicMommy

One of many pages on the subject: Jews against Circumcision There is also Beyond the Bris: Questioning Jewish Circumcision out there. (not that I agree with them, but I've seen them come up before)

Their ceremony is a Brit Shalom.
Brit Shalom is a non-cutting naming ceremony for newborn Jewish boys. It may be performed by a Rabbi or an experienced lay leader. If desired, Celebrants can aid parents in devising their own ceremony. This ceremony replaces Brit Milah (ritual circumcision). It has also been termed Alternative Brit (or Bris), Brit b'li Milah (Covenant without cutting) and Brit Chayim (Covenant of Life). It is similar to the naming ceremony for girls.
[From Jews Against Circumcision]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
One of many pages on the subject: Jews against Circumcision There is also Beyond the Bris: Questioning Jewish Circumcision out there. (not that I agree with them, but I've seen them come up before)

Their ceremony is a Brit Shalom.
[From Jews Against Circumcision]

It is interesting that many of the Jews who don't support circumcision are treated as if they don't even exist...even though the information is more than present/available to tell who they are.

Upvote 0

xDenax

Jewish
Jul 20, 2009
United States
✟13,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I am rather apathetic about it I suppose. I don't like the idea and would never consider it if I were not Jewish. Will I do it if I have a boy? Yes. Will I be happy about it? No. If it were made illegal I would probably just be relieved that I wouldn't be allowed to do it. I know plenty of Jewish and non-Jewish mother have their children circumcised everyday and it's no big deal. Not much crying, baby doesn't seem to care. But I think it goes deeper then just whether or not he cries in the moment. I have other issues with it and that is why it's so difficult for me. As it stands, I'm just hoping for girls.

I do not see it a religious persecution of any sort. I believe those who are trying to stop it come from a place of legitimate concern for children and not from a place of trying to control or extinguish religious freedom.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I am rather apathetic about it I suppose. I don't like the idea and would never consider it if I were not Jewish. Will I do it if I have a boy? Yes. Will I be happy about it? No. If it were made illegal I would probably just be relieved that I wouldn't be allowed to do it. I know plenty of Jewish and non-Jewish mother have their children circumcised everyday and it's no big deal. Not much crying, baby doesn't seem to care. But I think it goes deeper then just whether or not he cries in the moment. I have other issues with it and that is why it's so difficult for me. As it stands, I'm just hoping for girls.

I do not see it a religious persecution of any sort. I believe those who are trying to stop it come from a place of legitimate concern for children and not from a place of trying to control or extinguish religious freedom.

I guess I often wonder what harm circuncision does to a male child and at what point religious freedom becomes exercised one way, to the point that those who were circumcised/glad for it (from children till adulthood) and wishing to circumcise their young ones don't have a voice. For it does seem like a stereotype whenever others in the media attacks make it out like those who circumcise are not concerned for their children.....and sometimes, the examples used to condemn them seem out of context, such as saying that circumcising children is akin to the harmful practices of female circumcision.

Upvote 0

Messianic Samaritan

Mashiachiyim Yishraelism
Jun 19, 2012
✟7,703.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Easy G (G²);61024554 said:
I guess I often wonder what harm circuncision does to a male child and at what point religious freedom becomes exercised one way, to the point that those who were circumcised/glad for it (from children till adulthood) and wishing to circumcise their young ones don't have a voice. For it does seem like a stereotype whenever others in the media attacks make it out like those who circumcise are not concerned for their children.....and sometimes, the examples used to condemn them seem out of context, such as saying that circumcising children is akin to the harmful practices of female circumcision.

They've been banning circumcision of heart gradually more and more. Its sad but makes sense that they'd start banning circumcision of the flesh. Frankly, I don't see how banning it would really be logical, especially with Muslim populations growing.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
They've been banning circumcision of heart gradually more and more. Its sad but makes sense that they'd start banning circumcision of the flesh. Frankly, I don't see how banning it would really be logical, especially with Muslim populations growing.

Many Muslim populations are of the same mindset as many Jewish ones when it comes to seeing circumcision as traditional and yet not central to what they believe...and thus, there can be apathy there as well on whether it gets banned or not.

Not certain of what you mean in regards to banning circumcision of the heart, unless you're speaking of others making it difficult/impossible for conversion/transformation to change like the term "circumcision of heart" means.

Upvote 0

Messianic Samaritan

Mashiachiyim Yishraelism
Jun 19, 2012
✟7,703.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Easy G (G²);61025419 said:
Many Muslim populations are of the same mindset as many Jewish ones when it comes to seeing circumcision as traditional and yet not central to what they believe...and thus, there can be apathy there as well on whether it gets banned or not.

Not certain of what you mean in regards to banning circumcision of the heart, unless you're speaking of others making it difficult/impossible for conversion/transformation to change like the term "circumcision of heart" means.

:p I meant banning in the sense that they are strongly against it. In many countries they'd put you to death.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
:p I meant banning in the sense that they are strongly against it. In many countries they'd put you to death.

Which countries do you have in mind that'd put you to death for circumcision?

Upvote 0