LightHorseman

Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2006
✟10,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
AU-Liberals
n follow yoFirst let me strongly state that I am very glad that everyone has the right to believe what ever it is they want.

My gripe, is with people who want to force their own beliefs on others without a rational or scientific basis, or those who cherry pick the bits they want to use and ignore the bits they don't. This is applicable to any religion, science, philosophy, mission statement, et al.

Now, discussing the case of Creationists, and the case of many Intelligent Design proponents, we have a group of people expounding belief in the bible as the undiluted, literal, and verbatim word of God. This is the basis for claims that the world was created 6000 years ago, humans co-habited with dinosaurs, fossil record is a result of the Great Flood, and all the rest of it. Now, these people are more than welcome to believe what they want. However, when they bring their beliefs into the public arena, as in the case of creationism/ID they have by trying to see it taught in Biology classrooms, they open themselves up to public discussion of those beliefs. My question is simple. If you believe that the bible is the literal word of God, then please explain the mistakes, of which Pi = 3 in Kings is just an example.

One of the most interesting mathematical statements in the Bible is in I Kings 7:23-26, describing a large cauldron, or "molten sea" in the Temple of Solomon:
He made the Sea of cast metal, circular in shape, measuring ten cubits from rim to rim and five cubits high. It took a line of thirty cubits to measure around it. Below the rim, gourds encircled it - ten to a cubit. The gourds were cast in two rows in one piece with the Sea. The Sea stood on twelve bulls, three facing north, three facing west, three facing south and three facing east. The Sea rested on top of them, and their hindquarters were toward the center. It was a handbreadth in thickness, and its rim was like the rim of a cup, like a lily blossom. It held two thousand baths.

Now the Hebrews were not an especially technological society; when Solomon built his Temple he had to hire Phoenecian artisans for the really technical work. So the author of this passage may not have known the exact value of pi, or thought his readers might not be aware that specifying the diameter of a circle automatically specifies its circumference. In any case, the essential point was the impressive size of the cauldron, and its dimensions were only approximate, because the ratio of the circumference to the diameter is stated to be exactly three rather than the real value of pi which is 3.14159....

If the rim was made in the form of a lily blossom, we could expect it to have had decorative details with bumps and re-entrants, in which case any really exact measurement of diameter and circumference would be meaningless.

Even the comparatively innocuous idea that the writer of I Kings might have been speaking in only approximate terms is unacceptable to some people, because it implies, however slightly, that some passages in the Bible were never intended to be taken with exact literalness. There have been a lot of efforts to explain away the approximation to pi, and also some folklore about the attempts.

The most famous episode took place in the 19th century, when the legislature of Iowa supposedly considered a resolution to make pi legally equal to 3, based on the Biblical passage. Actually, the effort was the brainchild of a well-meaning but not overly mathematical legislator to make things easier for practical calculations by legislating a standard and simple value of pi. If we can define other weights and measures, why not pi? The proposal had very little to do with the Bible and died a quick death in committee.

"Fudge factors" or "finagle constants" are scientific slang for ad hoc postulates whose sole function is to get a theory out of trouble. The creationist claim that radioactive decay varies in rate is a good example; the only function of this postulate is to make it possible to deny the ages of rocks determined by radiometric dating. Another flagrant example of fudge-factoring is that of creationist author Theodore Rybka, who attempted to resolve the pi problem in an article entitled Determination of the Hebrew Value used for Pi, published in the January, 1981 issue of Acts and Facts, a bulletin of the Institute for Creation Research.

Note that the passage in I Kings explicitly gives both the diameter and the circumference. An estimate of pi is simply the ratio of the circumference to the diameter: 30/10 or exactly three. The passage in I Kings also elaborates on the depth, volume, and wall thickness of the cauldron. Rybka ignores the value given in plain words for the diameter and proceeds to develop a formula for the diameter using all the other dimensions and the totally unwarranted assumption that the cauldron was perfectly cylindrical. He converts the cubit, which was a variable unit of measure, to meters, and converts the Hebrew unit of volume, the bath, to liters. The volumes of one-bath jugs found by archaeologists give Rybka five values: 22.8, 22.9, 22.0, 22.7 and 23.3 liters. Blithely ignoring a variation of 1.3 liters or almost 6%, he averages the values to get a volume for the bath of 22.74 liters. He then puts this value into his formula and gets a value for pi of 3.143. "The calculations only warrant three-figure accuracy, however, so the final value is pi=3.14 which is identically the modern three figure value."

Now hold it a minute. First, the variation in the volume of the bath is so large that only two figure accuracy is justified, and the uncertainty is only accentuated our uncertainty as to the exact value of the cubit. Second, if the whole point of the discussion is to demonstrate the literal inerrancy of the Bible, 3.14 is just as much an approximation as 3 is. The decimal expansion of pi never ends and never repeats to infinity. (This would have been a great place to put such a statement, which would have been utterly beyond the capabilities of the ancient Hebrews, or even the translators of the King James Bible, to have known. What a stunningly convincing proof of supernatural authorship it would have been!) Finally, given a ten-cubit (about fifteen feet) diameter vessel with a circumference of fifty feet or so, anybody should be able to get at least three-figure accuracy in determining the value of pi. At the very least, anyone measuring the cauldron with even the crudest device should find a circumference of thirty-one cubits.

The clincher comes when Rybka uses his formulas to check the diameter and circumference of the cauldron. For the circumference he gets 29.97 cubits, very close to the figure of 30 given in I Kings, but he calculates the diameter to be not ten but 9.545 cubits! All Rybka has done with his elaborate manipulations is remove the approximation from the circumference to the diameter. We are told that the author of I kings did not use an approximate value for the circumference; he used an exact value but his determination of the diameter (which would by far have been the easiest dimension to get correctly) was off by about half a cubit or about nine inches!

Personally, I believe that the bible is a beautiful piece of allegorical prose, that explains the understandings of Judeo-Christian philosophy as it could be understood by the various authors within their local context of time and place. If the bible is an allegory written by humans trying to convey the spirit of their religion, then mistakes about specific scientific fact become perfectly understandable, and add to the humanity of the work. But if you INSIST that it is the word of God handed down on tablets of stone, well, then I have to ask why God doesn't seem to pay much attention to the specifics of His creation.

Looked at from a different perspective, is it OK for Creation scientists/ID people to say, "Evolution is a false theory, and it CAN'T be a simplification of the natural processes as understood by early farmers at the dawn of the bronze age, we know this because of what it says in Genesis, but getting things wrong like the value of Pi CAN be a simplification of a mathematical rule as understood by early farmers at the dawn of the bronze age"?

Who gets to decide where it is acceptable for the bible to be simplified, and which bits must be taken as verbatim fact? To be totally fair and committed to the bible as the source of all information, if you are really, really sincere about it, then as well as believing in creationist/ID, you should also drive a car with wheels that have a ratio of 3:1 for the wheel rims, and see how that goes. Or, like me, accept that if SOME of it can be simplified for ease of understanding by the masses, then ALL of it may contain simplifications.

If there is an obvious flaw in my logic here, please, without any personal attacks, in a rational, step by step fashion (so I caur reasoning) tell me

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
LightHorseman said:
Now the Hebrews were not an especially technological society; when Solomon built his Temple he had to hire Phoenecian artisans for the really technical work. So the author of this passage may not have known the exact value of pi, or thought his readers might not be aware that specifying the diameter of a circle automatically specifies its circumference. In any case, the essential point was the impressive size of the cauldron, and its dimensions were only approximate, because the ratio of the circumference to the diameter is stated to be exactly three rather than the real value of pi which is 3.14159....
"and he made a molten sea, a) ten cubits from one brim to the other: it was round all about, and b) his height was five cubits: and c) a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about. "
Your assumption is both a &b is measuring the same exact thing so to make it seem Pi=3 but what if PI isn't even in the mind of the builder at all.

This same assumption was once used on the Pyramids ( it seemed the Pi was used in it's design) that the question arose "how did Egyptian know about Pi?" Someone came up with the3 wild idea that aliens must have help the Egyptians. Then someone with common sense realizes the Egyptians didn't have to know what Pi was if the used a "Wheel" to measure with.

So it's the same with these measurements in Kings... If a&c was actually two complete different measurements (like most measurements in scriptures are written) then knowing Pi isn't needed at all just like the Pyramids.

P.S Here's is a modern day example of what I'm refering to ; I have a 17" PC monitor. I will then measure the picture frame and found it's 12"by 9.5". Now someone in the future( let say everyone then will use LCD monitors) actually do the math they will learn 12" x 9.5" doesn't add up to 17" but closer to a 15". This is because the 17" and 12" x 9.5" are not measuring the same thing! One is the the tube size the other is the picture frame size which is unlike LCD. When you buy a 19" LCD you get a 19" picture which isn't true with CRT.

Upvote 0

LightHorseman

Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2006
✟10,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
AU-Liberals
*smacks head* you don't need to know Pi... its the ratio of any circle's diametre to its circumference. If you use circles, you use Pi, whether you know about it or not. So, to use your notation, if you call the object circular, a and c are interdependant.
You CAN'T have a circle without using Pi. This doesn't mean you have to actually know the value of Pi. But, when you measure the outer edge of your cylindrical object (as they do in this bible verse) you are going to get a distance that is Pi times the distance of the diameter, which they ALSO measured. So, we know, that there is SOME statement in this verse that is incorrect.

Don't take my word for it, measure anything circular in your house with a piece of string. I absolutely guarantee that you will not find any circular object where the diameter is precisely 3 times the circumference.

Lastly, what the heck does Pi have to do with Pyramids? Pi deals only with circular geometry. Last time I checked, there Pyramids are all either right angles or 45 degree angles. Nothing circular about them. I'm not even going to acknowledge the alien bit.

Upvote 0

pehkay

Aug 10, 2006
✟17,557.00
Faith
Christian
>>But if you INSIST that it is the word of God handed down on tablets of stone, well, then I have to ask why God doesn't seem to pay much attention to the specifics of His creation.

Of course if your logic is prove that ... then it's correct (in your logical reasoning).

But, the holding of the Bible as the word of God is not based on the accuracies of the calculation of a bowl

For example, the spiritual significance for references in 2 Kings 7

The two bronze capitals covered the tops of the pillars. The total height of each capital was five cubits (v. 16; 2 Chron. 3:15), divided between the base (three cubits—2 Kings 25:17) and the two bowls on top of each capital (2 Chron. 4:12). The number three here signifies the process of resurrection; the number two, a testimony (Deut. 17:6); the number five, the bearing of responsibility (see note 21 in Matt. 25); and the number ten (the combined height of the two capitals), fullness in bearing responsibility.

The bowls were the glory, beauty, decoration, and crown of the capitals. They were covered with nets of checker work (like a trellis) and wreaths of chain work (v. 17).
These signify the complicated and intermixed situation in which those who are pillars in God’s building (Gal. 2:9; Rev. 3:12) live and bear responsibility. Lilies were on the nets (v. 19), and two rows of one hundred pomegranates were on the wreaths (v. 18; 2 Kings 25:17; 2 Chron. 3:16; 4:13). Lilies signify a life of faith inGod (S. S. 2:1-2; Matt. 6:28, 30; Gal. 2:20), and pomegranates, having many seeds, signify the expression of the riches of the divine life. A life of faith that expresses the riches of the divine life is the issue of the experience of Christ’s crucifixion in and through the complicated and intermixed situation (cf. 2 Cor. 4:7-18). In spiritual significance the bowls of the capitals are a testimony (two) indicating that those who place themselves under God’s judgment (bronze), counting themselves as nothing, are able to bear responsibility (five) in full (ten) and express the riches of the divine life (pomegranates) in the midst of a complicated and intermixed situation (the checker work and chain work) out of the process of resurrection (the base of the capitals, three cubits in height) because they do not live by themselves but by God (lilies). A believer who is a pillar as a sign of God’s building must bear the testimony of living by faith to bear responsibility and express the riches of life through the process of resurrection under the crossing out of the checker work and the restriction of the chain work.

It is more the spiritual significance of the typologies in the Old Testament which are consistent throughout the whole Bible. For this, we Christians hold the Bible as the word of God.

But the quote above will be useless and non-sensical to an unbeliever ... :)

Upvote 0

LightHorseman

Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2006
✟10,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
AU-Liberals
Pehkay, first, I'm a beleiver. Judge not lest ye be judged, OK pal?

Next
"But, the holding of the Bible as the word of God is not based on the accuracies of the calculation of a bowl"

So you are, in effect saying that the bible is infalable, except for the bits where it is innacurate?

My question is simple.
If we accept the bible has limitations as it has been influenced by man, then how do we know which bits to take compleytely literally?
OR
If we do not accept any flaws in the bible, at all, then how do you account for anomalies of measurement and biology?

I mean, I take your point about the religiosity of numbers in Judaic beleif system, yes, 3 had a special place and all. But the Bible SAYS...
circle
circumference = 30
diameter = 10
So there has GOT to be a flaw SOMEWHERE. If there was some sort of pre amble to the description of the temple saying that there was some sort of fudging of the numbers to make it more pleasing to God, then, yeah, OK, maybe... but it doesn't say that anywhere. According to King James, Pi = 3. According to any circle you measure, Pi = 3.141521....

Thems the facts

Upvote 0

Mallon

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
✟22,892.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Pehkay seems to be admitting that the Bible was written for spiritual reasons rather than for scientific ones -- something with which I am in total agreement. Considering the earliest Scriptures were written by ancient Hebrews who had very little scientific knowledge, the Bible nonetheless does a magnificent job of glorifying God and teaching us about salvation. It gets the job done despite the fact that Pi =/= 3.

Upvote 0

LightHorseman

Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2006
✟10,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
AU-Liberals
I agree wholeheartedly, as my initial post says

"Personally, I believe that the bible is a beautiful piece of allegorical prose, that explains the understandings of Judeo-Christian philosophy as it could be understood by the various authors within their local context of time and place. If the bible is an allegory written by humans trying to convey the spirit of their religion, then mistakes about specific scientific fact become perfectly understandable, and add to the humanity of the work. But if you INSIST that it is the word of God handed down on tablets of stone, well, then I have to ask why God doesn't seem to pay much attention to the specifics of His creation."

But my purpose of this post is to question the wisdom of Biblical literacy, and, as I suspected, here come the literalists, making excuses about how the flaws in the Bible arent really flaws.

Upvote 0

laptoppop

Servant of the living God
May 19, 2006
Southern California
✟23,920.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Actually, if the person was measuring the circumference of the inside and the diameter including the thickness of the walls, the thickness of the piece becomes significant and accounts for the difference between 3 and 3.14. Of course, our understanding of the exact translations of the ancient units is suspect, so it becomes impossible to calculate exactly, but this is certainly better than thinking that they didn't know the difference between 30 and 31.

Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
1st Smidlee 7:23 " And Thou have a Pepsi bottle in thy hand, One inch from brim to the other, it was round all about, and it's height was 8 1/2 inches: and a line of 8 1/2 inches did compass it round about."

When it came to building temples and pyramids ancient people were exact in their construction. I'm amazed of how well some of the ancient temples were built.

P.S sorry I don't see Pi at all in the scriptures. You shouldn't take any argument you read on the internet and run with it without frist thinking for yourself. According to your assumption I would be saying Pi = 8.5 .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
laptoppop said:
Actually, if the person was measuring the circumference of the inside and the diameter including the thickness of the walls, the thickness of the piece becomes significant and accounts for the difference between 3 and 3.14. Of course, our understanding of the exact translations of the ancient units is suspect, so it becomes impossible to calculate exactly, but this is certainly better than thinking that they didn't know the difference between 30 and 31.

ONe of the reasons i appreciate the pi argument is that it demonstrates the inherent scientism of the YECist or the inerrancist position.

See how it is so natural to look for an explanation for the math error? the thickness of the vessel is in fact the most common, perhaps even compelling and a proper explanation. However what is even more interesting is the need to explain math errors.

For instance, if numbers do not have an objective scientific meaning in the ANE culture, but rather are mystical, contact with the beyond type of things, then even looking for a good mathematical answer is the wrong thing to do. If the culture is dominated by numerology, or numerics as in the Kabbalah, then looking at them as desacralized, just-numbers-madam is the wrong hermeneutic. Pushing our modern notions where they are simply not applicable, despite how common sense they are to us.

Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
rmwilliamsll said:
ONe of the reasons i appreciate the pi argument is that it demonstrates the inherent scientism of the YECist or the inerrancist position.
This is why I appreciate the Pi argument is that it demonstrates how evolutionist see something there isn't really there. ;)

Upvote 0

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Upvote 0

laptoppop

May 19, 2006
Southern California
✟23,920.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
rmwilliamsll said:
See how it is so natural to look for an explanation for the math error? the thickness of the vessel is in fact the most common, perhaps even compelling and a proper explanation. However what is even more interesting is the need to explain math errors.
I just want to point out that I was just answering an issue raised by someone else.

Also, its crucial to note that just because I see something as historical does not mean that I cannot appreciate the symbolism and beauty and spiritual meaning which is also conveyed from the scriptures. The two are not in conflict. In fact, if anything, I tend to go way too far sometimes. For example, if you draw up the way Israel encamped in the wilderness after the exodus, its fascinating -- it is an amazingly good picture of a cross.

Upvote 0

pehkay

Aug 10, 2006
✟17,557.00
Faith
Christian
Oops, sorry, the impression of the second reply make me thought you aren't a Christian (including no icon too T_T). So i assume it might be gibberish to you.

Perhaps (IMO) taking it literally is not the best way to hold it ... as like you say, there would be no spiritual significance to the number 3.14 (PI) :) conveyed .. or the diamerter is 30.23434 in the Bible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LightHorseman

Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2006
✟10,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
AU-Liberals
But anyway you look at it... ITS A MISTAKE!!!

ANY circle will prove this.

Whether it is a mistake because of mathematical error, social endowment of properties on certain numbers, bad translation, the point remains,

pi does NOT = 3... but the bible as we use it today says that it DOES.

So, there is ONE error, for sure, for whatever reason... how do we know there aren't others?

The Bible is either infallible, or its not. You can't have something being a LITTLE bit infallible. If you make a claim of infallibility, then you have to be prepared for scrutiny. The Pi=3 bit fails this test.

So my question stands... if there is a flaw in ONE bit, (which you all seem to accept on some level, even though you trey to make excuses for it "not a geography text book") then how do you know that OTHER bits arent flawed?

Look, I'm happy to admit that 3 is a pretty close approximation for Pi... but we arent talking about close approximations, we are talking about Bible literalism. And if the ancient Hebrew gets it even closer, well, thats all well and good... except that most bible literalists seem to run on the KJV, whish is the verse quoted in which pi=3... so even if the ancient Hebrew is correct, we still have problems in the translation, so how can we take the translation as 100% accurate in regard to other issues?

Upvote 0

laptoppop

May 19, 2006
Southern California
✟23,920.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Assuming 15" for cubit and 3" for handspan...
10 cubits = 150"
30 cubits = 450"
10 cubits - 2 handspans = 144"
Ratio = 3.125 -- certainly close enough.

There is an alternate explanation as well. It turns out that the hebrew word used for circumferunce is not the standard word. It has an extra "heh" at the end. Chuck Missler shows an interpretation of this which leads to an error of less than 15 thousandths of an inch. http://www.khouse.org/articles/1998/158/

I think the wall thickness makes a more accessible argument, but I just wanted to point out the alternative as well.

By the way, there are multiple schools of "literalists". The KJV only crowd is just one of them, albeit very vocal. The much more prevalent school believes in literal inspiration (God-Breathed as in II Tim 3:16,17) in the original writings, and is perfectly happy to talk about textual transmission and translation issues.

Upvote 0

pehkay

Aug 10, 2006
✟17,557.00
Faith
Christian
If you believe that is a mistake, then by all means. :)

I believe the Bible is a complete wirtten divine revelation of God to man. The major revelation in the Bible is probably God's unique divine purpose (economy) (Eph 1:10; 3:9; 1 Tim. 1:4)

In the Old Testament, the contents of God's purpose are revealed mainly in types, figures and shadows, whereas in the New Testament all the types, figures and shadows are fulfilled and realized. Thus, the OT is a figurative portrait of God's eternal purpose and the NT is the practical fulfilment.

I think this governs the writing of the Bible more than anything. Just as Genesis 1-2 is not just merely a record of creation but a revelation of Christ, who is life to God's people (John 1:1, 4; 11:25; 14:6) for the producing and building up of the church.

But hey, i am not answering your question. Just that, if I use your argument, I could argue on why the New Jerusalem have only one street that reaches to all gates and the throne.

Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
LightHorseman said:
Look, I'm happy to admit that 3 is a pretty close approximation for Pi... but we arent talking about close approximations, we are talking about Bible literalism. And if the ancient Hebrew gets it even closer, well, thats all well and good... except that most bible literalists seem to run on the KJV, whish is the verse quoted in which pi=3... so even if the ancient Hebrew is correct, we still have problems in the translation, so how can we take the translation as 100% accurate in regard to other issues?
But the KJV doesn't say Pi=3 for Pi isn't in the bible. You can literally build a pool according to those measurments found in 1 Kings 7:23. Solomon no doubt got the best craftmen of his day to build the temple.
My Pepsi bottle is literally 1 inch brim to brim, literally 8 1/2 inches high , and 8 1/2 inches around about.

You have given a good example is going to the other extreme; not taken things written in scriptures literal enough.

I been looking for another repeat measurement in scriptures but so far haven't found one (atleast when dealing with the temple.). (there may be one I haven't spotted yet) So far I find no reason to assume in 1 Kings 7:23 measures the same thing twice.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.