Circle or Not? Political Poll

Is this a circle or not a circle? See image in OP.

• Total voters

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟11,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I said it was a circle and I am a conservative. Guess I am the exception that proves the rule?
If this poll is representative, the rule is disproven, falsified.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Kinda took the words out of my mouth. It isn't a math question, it's a perception question.

So, does the study take into consideration other 'perceptions'? If someone perceives this as Math the study might be a little off.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟11,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The point may be that Liberalism deals unapologetically in half-truths while Conservatives go towards precision and so are offended at sweeping generalizations being presented as thought they were facts.
Do Conservatives insist on calling traffic circles "traffic polygons"? When they gather in a circle, do they measure it out?

But OTOH, it's probably possible to reach any number of conclusions about the "circle" and the way we've voted. ;)
This.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,744.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I'd want context.

If this was an adult teaching children what a circle looks like then not just no, hell no.

If it is the response by a 3rd grader on a math test to an instruction to draw a circle then not just yes, hell yes.

If it is a response to a similar instruction in a regular high school geometry class where students are required to have a compass and straightedge then no and no points.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Technically its a circle, not a perfect one of course, but a circle none the less. When you see your kid drew you a picture and his sun is not a perfect circle you would still say its a sun because you can tell what it is. Though the article I don't really care for.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm not going to click on salon, for virtually any reason. But no matter how perfect the representation of a circle may appear to be, blow it up enough and you end up with something like the original image. It's just that this particular example is obvious.

Somewhere in the Bible, Old Testament, is the implication that pi = 3. That is not incorrect, it is imprecise by our standards. But to the farmers, builders and military men of that day, it got the job done.

Basically I'm not sure what salon is trying to say, but my guess is I have no compelling reason to know either. No offense meant.

Be blessed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
circle_or_square.jpg

And yes, this is actually a political test. Do I need to explain or can you guess?

Source: Salon.com

The question is bias toward a circle. If the context is about shapes then a better question would be "What shape is this?" Which allows the observer to make a judgement as to the shape based purely from its characteristics rather than what was hinted. An even better question would be simply "What is this?" which allows room for greater perception.

Since the context (or lack there of) is mixed in with politics truly nothing is pure (which I'm sure is the point here). A technical answer would be that this shape is a polygon. Realistically everyone is a polygon but typically people judge based on where they best fit rather than if every side strictly agrees. For "best fit" the answer would be circle if we are taking about simple shapes that you learn as a toddler.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'd want context.

If this was an adult teaching children what a circle looks like then not just no, hell no.

If it is the response by a 3rd grader on a math test to an instruction to draw a circle then not just yes, hell yes.

If it is a response to a similar instruction in a regular high school geometry class where students are required to have a compass and straightedge then no and no points.
I think the lack of context is intentional. It's not a third grader, it's not a high schooler, it's you. What do you think?

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Mathematically speaking, it correctly fits the definition of a circle.
Winking_smiley.gif

There are no perfect circles. Every circle ever constructed has had some eccentricities in it. This particular example of a circle has the sort of errors one would see if a five-year old drew the circle ... or perhaps even an eighty-five year old.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,744.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I think the lack of context is intentional. It's not a third grader, it's not a high schooler, it's you. What do you think?

I'd say it is not a circle. But I most likely would select the 'yes' answer because it says kind of sort of. If one added a few more answers including one saying yes, definitely then I'd select the kind of sort answer given for sure.

Upvote 0

Bknight006

Lost in the Multiverse
Jun 14, 2015
✟7,877.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I don't think it has much to do with political leanings as it does about whether or not you took Geometry in school. As for me, that shape couldn't geometrically be considered a true circle, and yet, I'm center-left, so, yeah... This is awkward for Salon. XD

Upvote 0