• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Circle or Not? Political Poll

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by DaisyDay, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Yes, sort of, more or less.

54.8%
  2. No, it simply is not a circle.

45.2%
  1. DaisyDay

DaisyDay blind squirrel

+8,963
    United States
    Unitarian
    Married
    US-Others
    [​IMG]

And yes, this is actually a political test. Do I need to explain or can you guess?

Source: Salon.com

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. super animator

super animator Dreamer

+1,578
    Agnostic
    Strictly mathematical speaking, it isn't a circle.

3. morningstar2651

morningstar2651 Senior Veteran

+2,265
    Pagan
    Single
    US-Others
    This.

It's round. Perhaps even circular.

But it's not a circle.

4. DaisyDay

DaisyDay blind squirrel

+8,963
    United States
    Unitarian
    Married
    US-Others
    Then you should vote "No" and falsify the hypothesis of the linked article in the OP. :)

5. DaisyDay

DaisyDay blind squirrel

+8,963
    United States
    Unitarian
    Married
    US-Others
    Of course, mathematically speaking, you are correct, but this isn't a mathematical question. ;)

6. super animator

super animator Dreamer

+1,578
    Agnostic
    I get what the article is coming from this, regarding "liberal" definitions. However this is math we talking about. There is no such thing as a "liberal" definitions, they are completely ridged such that changing the definitions themselves can have dramatic consequences.

7. super animator

super animator Dreamer

+1,578
    Agnostic
    Uh, yes it is. A definition of a circle comes from mathematics.

8. super animator

super animator Dreamer

+1,578
    Agnostic
    A better example would be art, as it can be very liberal or literal depending on how you look at it.

9. morningstar2651

morningstar2651 Senior Veteran

+2,265
    Pagan
    Single
    US-Others
    Voted.

I don't think they did much study to verify this test.

10. KarateCowboy

KarateCowboy Moderately moderate

+1,585
    Catholic
    Private
    It makes some sense. By more accurate, conservative estimates, strictly speaking, it is not a circle. But, by a very liberal estimate, it is. Like it says in the article, some people will say "well, it's circular, so it's a circle". But then, the question does not ask "Is it circular?". It asks "Is it a circle".

11. DaisyDay

DaisyDay blind squirrel

+8,963
    United States
    Unitarian
    Married
    US-Others
    Oh, probably not, but I thought the idea was interesting; I just don't know that it's true.

ETA: Of course, I didn't see the test, I just read an article about the test, so who knows...

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  12. DaisyDay

DaisyDay blind squirrel

+8,963
    United States
    Unitarian
    Married
    US-Others
    Uh, no it ain't and since I'm asking the question, I'm the one who says what the question is. This isn't about the "definition", it's about the "perception". Anyway, you should vote "No" since that is what you truly think.

13. stamperben

stamperben It's an old family tradition

+4,050
    Humanist
    Private
    Kinda took the words out of my mouth. It isn't a math question, it's a perception question.

14. JGG

JGG Well-Known Member

+2,041
    Seeker
    Private
    What are the consequences for the shape if it is not a True Circle?

15. DaisyDay

DaisyDay blind squirrel

+8,963
    United States
    Unitarian
    Married
    US-Others
    If?
    It still exists in the world of pixels but not in Plato's ideal world (I know I'm not putting that right, but I hope you catch my drift).

If someone were to ask you to circle the correct answer and you drew that around your choice, should that be rejected for not being a True Circle?

16. JGG

JGG Well-Known Member

+2,041
    Seeker
    Private
    I suppose that's true. However, I would expect that if I was asked if I had circled the answer I'd say yes. If I was asked whether the shape I had made was a circle, I'd have to say no. I think there may be a difference between the verb form and noun form. They seem to hold different expectations.

17. Tallguy88

Tallguy88 We shall see the King when he comes! Supporter

+7,643
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    If in other sciences we should arrive at certainty without doubt, and truth without error, it behooves us to place the foundation of knowledge in mathematics.

-Roger Bacon

It's not a circle. It's round and circleish, but it is not a circle.

18. TerranceL

TerranceL Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?

+4,550
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    As usual salon posts something moronic. But atleast they aren't promoting pedophiles this time.

I voted that it wasn't a circle.

And their description of what people who think it's a circle fits me nicely.

19. craigerNY

craigerNY I bring nothing to the table

+355
    Agnostic
    Single
    As a quality engineer, specializing in measurement solutions, I think that it looks like a diameter with gross roundness error.

20. Tallguy88

Tallguy88 We shall see the King when he comes! Supporter

+7,643
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    The problem is, they picked an example with an answer that is 100% provable with nothing more than a ruler, a pen, and paper. Math/geometry isn't liberal or conservative. It just is.