Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Which is better or worse?

A contemporary presbyterian church

or one of those "word based" free-standing churches?

Hello sky,

I wish I had a daughter like you. Anyway, of all the non-orthodox churches I would say that the presbyterians are somewhere in the middle.

Looking at the spectrum from my vantage point, the roman catholic Latin Mass is at the starting point, and of course, the Latin Mass is the most pure form of christianity, and the Jehovah witnesses cult seems to be at the very end with the other cults.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I would choose where..
1. the Gospel is preached clearly.
2. God's Word is taught as the Word of God and not the 'ideas' of man.
3. The fellowship is centered around Christ and not man.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Not following the thread yet. Maybe it's the late hour...

What do you mean what is worse or better? When you're saying word based free-standing churches, do you mean like baptist churches without much hierarchy higher up? :confused:

Upvote 0

laconicstudent

Sep 25, 2009
✟16,224.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

I'm a tad confused, are you asking for general suggestions, or do you want a comparison restricted to the two examples you offer?

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi bluegreysky:

From someone who has been in church since I was born (now 75) - been in different churches - just let me say your best bet is to put your hand in the hand of Jesus and let the Holy Spirit guide you. All the do's and don'ts in all the different churches will drive you crazy.

Some of them are so busy telling you what you can't do that they don't tell you what God can do. Just get in the Word and follow the leading of the Holy Spirit and you can be in any service and you won't be confused. God has made His walk simple, man has made it very difficult. Just walk with Jesus, talk to Him, sing to Him, Praise Him and enjoy your beautiful walk with the Master.

Upvote 0

pilgrimgal

Jeremiah 29:11 It's good!
Apr 9, 2006
USA
✟25,368.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Hi, bluegreysky, As I read your post the words "church home" come to mind. And that is what it is best to search for..a church where you will feel accepted and at home.

But not all churches provide a safe atmosphere where you can worship, grow and learn God's word..

Pray that God gives you the guidance to determine what the best place for you is. Trust Him to open doors and close the wrong ones. Mainly though you want to find a place where Jesus would also feel welcome..and where the Holy Spirit is permitted in the door. And where there is good pastoral leadership and Godly authority and where the Word of God is effectively and lovingly preached. All authority comes of God..Father, Son, and Spirit. And remember as you are on the journey that God loves you and cares for you.

It may take sometime. We moved into another city some years back and tried out three churches before we landed in the right spot. It was worth the search as I have never felt better about a church than I do this one and I have been a Christian more than 35 years and have attended churches all of my life.

prayers for you today to find that "church home" if you haven't already. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sbbqb7n16

Veteran - Blue Bible Dude
Jan 13, 2002
Texas
Visit site
✟25,010.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Neither type is inherently better or worse than the other.

As long as they focus on Jesus, not works (or anything else really) - they are a very good church.

If you're unhappy at your current church, there is no harm in attending another service to see what it's like. (I noticed your cross symbol says you are presbyterian)

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Depends what you mean by contemporary.

Contemporary liturgy? As long as the Gospel is clearly preached, relying on the Savior of the Universe alone for salvation and eternal life, then I would say "either one works great".

Add things to that, and either one falls further and further from the ideal: contemporary compromise or separatist stipulations adding to the Gospel in either direction is a serious hazard. Find the Gospel. Find it as clearly as possible. Live it more clearly, and you'll be a light wherever there may be darkness, even among the errors that every church labors under.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DoctorJosh

Jun 7, 2010
United States of America
✟564.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

It is pretty much a choice for each person. I do like to ask people to research the Church, its Doctrine and the Pastor, Priest or Reverend before making a choice. If any of those listed do not live by and fit the Word oF God then avoid the Church and look for another. If the Church just has a little difference in the Doctrine but is still True to the Word oF God, then there is nothing wrong with that Church. If the speaker for the Church has a different view or teaches otherwise, such as something like gay marriage is acceptable, then its best to find a Church leader that sticks with the Word of God and find another Church.

It is pretty much what you choose. what is most important is that when being a critic of Churches we must make sure they are teaching the Word as it is written. When they go out of those boundaries, there is that danger flag waving in front of our faces and we need to find another Church that sticks to the Word as it is written.

The Church you listed seems to be just a name to me since I do not know the Pastor of that Church. Is he sticking within the Word of God or is he adding things to it? Is what he says backed up by Biblical scripture or is he taking it out of context? Be a critic, research what he talks about. Then you know for sure if its a good Church with a good leader for the flock or not.

I have yet to see someone raise their hand in any Church and correct the Pastor, Priest or Reverend when they were out of context, but I wish that some would. So that is why it is important to also Study the Bible at home and then when the leader of the Church says something out of context or strange, you can say, What? The Bible says this and not that. Jesus said this and not that. A good reason for people to understand the Bible more so they don't expect the Church to teach them scripture alone since what the Church teaches may be out of context and some may never know it until years later. However, don't interpret the Bible, read it as it is written. This way you know the Truth.

Just some tips. God Bless.

Upvote 0
C

Celtic D

Some here, in fact probably many will disagree with what I am about to say:

You don't need a church, all churches do is stiffle faith - my faith increased leaps and bounds once I walked away from churches.

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some here, in fact probably many will disagree with what I am about to say:

You don't need a church, all churches do is stiffle faith - my faith increased leaps and bounds once I walked away from churches.

I don't disagree with you - the same thing happened to me.

My husband was one religion and me another - neither of us was happy because we did not agree with either religion on all points. We moved and for the last 5 years have not found a church - tried several but they seem so dead, so we have our church on Sunday mornings and do our Bible study and both of us have a much closer walk with Jesus. Threw down all religion and now just have a beautiful walk with the Master.

Upvote 0

DoctorJosh

Jun 7, 2010
United States of America
✟564.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Actually the True definition of a Christian Church is two or more people Worshiping and Praising the Lord Jesus. Many people do not have any building to worship in other than their home. So going to a building to worship is all about choice. God Bless.

Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom

depends on the local church body.

bugkiller
927154.gif

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums