✟19,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Churches now do a lot for the people a lot times they make a difference
Having looking good in the eyes of the public I become too much of a business today meaning religion have become a money making business industry
High profile preachers on getting good salaries
I understand that going to school and getting a good degree
Not so you can live poor
But in the days of Jesus I think money has very little meaning to him and the his followers
When Jesus send the 12 disciples on there mission he said take nothing but a staff no bread no bag and no money in your belt that knowing Jesus set that instructions for the 12 to follow
But having a choice between living rich or poor
That living Jesus life is it even possible in today's world
But the idea seems very pure and good a in its meaning
Maybe that's why he taught it not because it was easy but because it's hard
That's why he asked that of his followers
But the question is this
What have you seen the church do to help others I know there's a lot of good the church does that helped community
do you think is more of a money-making business than a charity drive?

Apr 3, 2017
None
✟30,626.00
Country
Zimbabwe
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Just speaking for the church I attend...we do a better job at showing Christ in what we do than what we say.
I love the pastor and have 0 problems with him. Very overworked and underpaid. A true pastor's heart.
The issues I have are with guest speakers and evangelist big wigs interjection denomination criticism form pulpit.

Our church is small. 100 or less regular attenders. We have a pantry, partnership with Christian rehab ministry for fund raising and vocational training, a widows outreach (transportation to doctor, grocery service, home and auto maintenance, etc.), Thanksgiving delivery for shut ins, rotating dinners weekly for less fortunate, etc.

Collectively, our walk is solid. Our talk sometimes makes me want to leave.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's impossible to make a statement that applies to all churches.

And speaking for ourselves, we are taught to look to our own shortcomings, rather than seek them out in others.

What our local Church does? We are a relatively small parish, with more elderly than young people, and many widows/widowers. Still, even the elderly work very hard to support the Church and its ministries at the same time. We collect food continually, and give it to a local food bank partnership with other churches, though we also often feed people or send groceries with them when they come directly to us. One lady is the go-to person for everyone with needs inside the church and out - we very often provide food, clothing, shoes, sometimes household things that are needed, sometimes paying medical bills, paying utility bills. We do not give cash because of the potential for misuse. We sponsor young people going to college, especially those going into ministry. We donate to local charities. Often something strikes the heart of someone and we collect donations for them - over the past couple of years it has been a local women and children's shelter. We have a big fundraiser rummage sale most years and some items are set aside for those who need them, and all leftovers get donated. Rides, visits for the sick, help with all kinds of practical needs are usually seen to by various members as we become aware of the need. Sometimes there is coordination of efforts too. I'm probably forgetting a few. It's pretty much as needs come up, as we are able, we meet them.

We support the Church itself too. God instructed the tabernacle and the temple to be constructed in a beautiful fashion, and we continue the belief that the house of God deserves to be beautiful. Historically though, our churches usually endure for centuries, and the labor and expense of beautifying them is usually shared by generations of families, as they are able. Mostly with beautiful painted iconography. These are usually given as freewill offerings by families as they are blessed and able to do so.

Stories of pastors who live extravagant lifestyles, or own mansions or jets, are often used to smear Christianity as a whole. When our priest arrived at Church and greeted my husband, who happened to be in the parking lot with me, my husband was very surprised. (My husband doesn't approve my going to that Church.) I asked him why, and he said that he assumed our priest would drive a Mercedes or the like. He actually drives a very basic, older Prius (cheap on gas too). Somehow the surprise of that actually impressed him. But I think it's better that we don't assume something bad about people when we don't know. A couple of years ago, our priest offered to pay hmself for medical testing I needed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The second question was in general not to anyone's local church
Then you are asking for judgement of Christianity at large and generalizing?

I don't see anything helpful there. If you say Christianity isn't about money-making then you excuse those who are doing it wrongly. If you say Christianity is about money-making, then you smear the name of Christ and wrongly accuse all those who do it right.

Upvote 0

AfterThought

Thirst 2 Given & Know
Apr 11, 2016
USA
✟19,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Then you are asking for judgement of Christianity at large and generalizing?

I don't see anything helpful there. If you say Christianity isn't about money-making then you excuse those who are doing it wrongly. If you say Christianity is about money-making, then you smear the name of Christ and wrongly accuse all those who do it right.
I'm sorry if I offended you but I was reading the Bible I got to the part give to get to Caesars what is Caesars God to what is God's but that's how this idea came about about for this posting

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry if I offended you but I was reading the Bible I got to the part give to get to Caesars what is Caesars God to what is God's but that's how this idea came about about for this posting
Oh no, you didn't offend me. Please forgive me if I gave you that impression.

I just don't have much answer on that point, other than the little I've already mentioned. Yes it happens that financially things are not always right. And that's bad, and reflects badly on Christianity when it happens.

But I don't have much besides that.

The sad thing is that as a result, I think we do well to see what will be done with money we give, before we give it, for the sake of stewardship. But giving is still good for us, and any misuse of funds is the responsibility of the one who does it.

Upvote 0