Upvote 0

Brak

Jan 12, 2011
✟16,544.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Unfortunately, it's possible there may be some truth to this. We hold pow-wows with the local mosque in my church (and in the mosque). Which by the way is something I would NOT want misconstrued to be One-World-Religion baloney. We are having religious dialogues, promoting understanding and peace. Now, if that is what is indeed happening, then I take great offense to this alarmist story, exaggerating and twisting the truth. However....

During one of our dialogues, while I was talking to one of the prominent men in the mosque (probably the equivalent of a Sunday School teacher, but Muslim), he suggested one of the things we do to promote unity is to hold a joint Christian/Muslim service. I didn't reply to that. While I am all for promoting peace, unity, & free religion, some lines should not be crossed.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,915.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't think so... a church in my area's listed as a participant...
"A" church in your area is embracing this "so-called" Chrislam or a Christian church is meeting with other religions to promote understanding between the religions?

Upvote 0

*Charis*

*Psalm 36:9*
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
✟33,182.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Constitution
"A" church in your area is embracing this "so-called" Chrislam or a Christian church is meeting with other religions to promote understanding between the religions?

The church I mentioned is listed as one who has 'agreed to sponsor a Chrislam service'.
(It's all in the article, if you take time to read it...)

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,915.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The church I mentioned is listed as one who has 'agreed to sponsor a Chrislam service'.
(It's all in the article, if you take time to read it...)
I have read the article and what I see are groups trying to make claims which do not represent what is going on. Chrislam is a "religion" which has arisen mostly in Nigeria, which embraces both the Christian Bible and the Koran.

What is going on with Rick Warren and the Interfaith Alliance is not Chrislam. The participants embrace their own faith, either Christianity, Judaism, or Islam and not the other. They are trying to break down the ignorance which causes fear between the religious groups.

Shared Faith Service at the National Cathedral | NBC Washington

Upvote 0

*Charis*

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
✟33,182.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Constitution
Yarddog said:
The participants embrace their own faith, either Christianity, Judaism, or Islam and not the other. They are trying to break down the ignorance which causes fear between the religious groups.
Well... I think Jesus' example was a single focus... His Father's will... without compromise.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

revanneosl

Mystically signifying since 1985
Feb 25, 2007
Northern Illniois
✟39,310.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Well... I think Jesus' example was a single focus... His Father's will... without compromise.

And yet Jesus was a faithful and observant Jew, whose teachings gave rise to a second religion, Christianity, which provided a second route to relationship with the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

Interreligious dialogue is an extremely important project, but it is also fraught with opportunities for misunderstanding. Nevertheless, the project must go forward. Mutual understanding is the only way that God's children will ever be able to refrain from slaughtering one another.

Upvote 0
B

brightmorningstar

The participants embrace their own faith, either Christianity, Judaism, or Islam and not the other. They are trying to break down the ignorance which causes fear between the religious groups
Deception. People of faith can make friends and break down barriers without compromising their faith!
I have a number of really good Muslim friends but faith is one area there is no commonality, there are other views as well.

Upvote 0

*Charis*

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
✟33,182.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Constitution
And yet Jesus was a faithful and observant Jew, whose teachings gave rise to a second religion, Christianity, which provided a second route to relationship with the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.
Not a 'second' religion, but a culmination of the plan of God. Jesus was always meant to be the only way to have relationship with God (according to Romans and Galatians).

Interreligious dialogue is an extremely important project, but it is also fraught with opportunities for misunderstanding. Nevertheless, the project must go forward. Mutual understanding is the only way that God's children will ever be able to refrain from slaughtering one another.
Human reasoning and understanding do not change hearts.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,915.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There is no indication that the Christian Churches have any other focus than yours. They are using the love which Jesus called us to help people understand that fear should not be in existence between the major religions.

That may be a way to do some evangelizing, as well. Hearing the Gospel can do wonders for those who have never heard the truth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
B

brightmorningstar

They are using the love which Jesus called us to help people understand that fear should not be in existence between the major religions.
I dont think so. Where is that the love in the NT. Christ and the NT disciples all told the people of other religions they didnt have God.

That may be a way to do some evangelizing, as well. Hearing the Gospel can do wonders for those who have never heard the truth.
Sure share the beliefs, serve them, and pray for them, but dont try and worship together as though its the same God.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,915.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I dont think so. Where is that the love in the NT. Christ and the NT disciples all told the people of other religions they didnt have God.
What other religions existed then? How did Jesus tell us to act among others? Are we not told to love "all" people.
Sure share the beliefs, serve them, and pray for them, but dont try and worship together as though its the same God.
Christianity, Judaism, and Islam all worship God the Father. The creator of all.
We worship the Trinity which Jews and Muslims fail to recognize though Muslims recognize Jesus as a major prophet.

As Christians, we should not fear anyone, but many Christians fear Muslims and many Muslims fear Christians and Jews. Much of this is because of ignorance about the other but through understanding, fear can be set aside.

In the this movement, no Christian is asked to worship as "one" or agree with Muslims or Jews but Christians, Jews, and Muslims can see and hear how much we each love God.

As I have said though, "Hearing the Gospel can do wonders for those who have never heard the truth."

Upvote 0

*Charis*

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
✟33,182.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Constitution
Christianity, Judaism, and Islam all worship God the Father. The creator of all.
Not all worship is accepted by God. The 'creator God' has made Jesus the only way of approaching Him.
Many don't accept this standard and thus worship a god of their own making.

Upvote 0
B

brightmorningstar

Yarddog,
What other religions existed then?
Loads. The Greeks had their gods and the Romans's theirs. Paul went to Athens and said to them "Men of Athens! I see that in every way you are very religious. 23 For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: TO AN UNKNOWN GOD. Now what you worship as something unknown I am going to proclaim to you."
"How did Jesus tell us to act among others? Are we not told to love "all" people. " We were told to love all people and to always be prepared to give the reason for our hope 1 Peter 3 "Always be prepard to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,"
Also to make disciples.

I think the question was for you, where in the NT did Christ or disciples worship with other religions?

Christianity, Judaism, and Islam all worship God the Father.
Not according to Jesus or the other religions. According to the other religions God isnt Father and Jesus isnt the Son. According to Jesus Christ God is the Father of the Jews. Islam denies Jesus Christ is the risen Son of God.

As Christians, we should not fear anyone, but many Christians fear Muslims and many Muslims fear Christians and Jews.
Many Christians around the world face persecution from Muslims, its a reality whether they fear it or not.
Much of this is because of ignorance about the other but through understanding, fear can be set aside.
Through understanding of Islam I suggest fear is increased, perfect love of Jesus Christ casts out fear.

In the this movement, no Christian is asked to worship as "one" or agree with Muslims or Jews but Christians, Jews, and Muslims can see and hear how much we each love God.
Do any of them know God, it doesnt look like it.

As I have said though, "Hearing the Gospel can do wonders for those who have never heard the truth."
I agree, it seems like all three need to hear it.

Upvote 0