Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm thinking it would be helpful to have a complete list here, unless one already exists? I know it has been discussed before, but not sure if there is a clear list anywhere.

Off the top of my head:
Wesleyan Church
Church of the Nazarene
Free Methodist Church
Evangelical Free Church
Evangelical Covenant Church
many of the Congregational church associations would allow leeway on this too, such as the Conservative Congregational Christian Conference (CCCC) and National Association of Congregational Christian Churches (NACCC)

Any others?

Last edited:

jinc1019

Christian
Mar 22, 2012
North Carolina
✟17,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That isn't what "believer's baptism" means, however. :)

Correct. I was referring to churches that allow their members to delay the baptism of their infant children until they are old enough to confess faith. Every Christian church, with only a few exceptions, practices baptism of adults who are first coming to the faith.

Upvote 0

jinc1019

Christian
Mar 22, 2012
North Carolina
✟17,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The only issue is what Scripture teaches, and that does not mean to take verses out of context to prove what one prefers ---right?

This doesn't have anything to do with the thread topic. The issue for some people is that there are good arguments on both sides of this issue, so some people don't feel comfortable choosing one way or the other. I'm not one of those people, but there are many out there.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This doesn't have anything to do with the thread topic. The issue for some people is that there are good arguments on both sides of this issue, so some people don't feel comfortable choosing one way or the other. I'm not one of those people, but there are many out there.
Correct.

BTW I expected to have people add to your list by now.

Upvote 0

jinc1019

Christian
Mar 22, 2012
North Carolina
✟17,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Correct.

BTW I expected to have people add to your list by now.

No, the list isn't every single church that practices believer's baptism; it's every church that practices believer's baptism AND infant baptism. To make the list, they would have to allow both. I'm not surprised there haven't been a million posts on this; but I thought there would be at least one or two I didn't know about.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
No, the list isn't every single church that practices believer's baptism; it's every church that practices believer's baptism AND infant baptism.
I know.

To make the list, they would have to allow both. I'm not surprised there haven't been a million posts on this; but I thought there would be at least one or two I didn't know about.

Exactly. But I know that we could add to that list with just a little research. That's why I thought someone else here would already have done it. The Methodist bodies other than the UMC come to mind, for instance, and I know that some of them, at least, fit the description.

Upvote 0

jinc1019

Christian
Mar 22, 2012
North Carolina
✟17,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I know.

Exactly. But I know that we could add to that list with just a little research. That's why I thought someone else here would already have done it. The Methodist bodies other than the UMC come to mind, for instance, and I know that some of them, at least, fit the description.

Hmm. I think I was confused by something before, I apologize for my comments.

I'm not sure we can add to the list anymore. The Wesleyan Church and Church of the Nazarene are already on there. I guess Free Methodists should also be there too, but other than that, I don't know of any Methodist denominations that practice both believer's baptism and infant baptism. It's possible that could be it!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hmm. I think I was confused by something before, I apologize for my comments.

I'm not sure we can add to the list anymore. The Wesleyan Church and Church of the Nazarene are already on there. I guess Free Methodists should also be there too, but other than that, I don't know of any Methodist denominations that practice both believer's baptism and infant baptism. It's possible that could be it!

I think all Methodists do both, unless I'm mistaken about one or two that are off branches. I was baptised in a United Methodist church.

Upvote 0

jinc1019

Christian
Mar 22, 2012
North Carolina
✟17,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think all Methodists do both, unless I'm mistaken about one or two that are off branches. I was baptised in a United Methodist church.

My understanding is that the UMC, the largest Methodist church, definitely does not encourage believer's baptism. Infants are expected to be baptized.

• Agree
Reactions: actionsub
Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My understanding is that the UMC, the largest Methodist church, definitely does not encourage believer's baptism. Infants are expected to be baptized.

They baptize both infants and adults with no issue that I've ever seen or heard of. They do infant baptism as well as an encouraged practice but it is not a strict guideline and many choose to wait. I don't see a difference with other methodist branches.

Upvote 0