Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am new to this board, have been a Christian for years, but stopped going to church years ago because the church split, and we moved. Its been 5 years, I still haven't found a church. We gave up for a while, life circumstances were getting us down and we had no luck when reaching out. We did try a couple churches, but we did not feel spiritually inspired at all. We are still down and out, but seeking Godly answers and ready to try to find a church as soon as possible.

So, we tried a couple churches, and this most recent one had good music, but didn't seem to have much of a sermon. Their sermon focused on their small groups associated with the church, and it tied back into have friendships and community in a manner that really pushed the small groups, over and over again. Even at the end of the sermon, it was mentioned that there would be someone at the back of the church to discuss the matter further. If it was 5 minutes, and then a sermon, it wouldn't feel so odd. However, I am thinking this was overkill.

Is this watered down Christianity, or are we just not having an open mind with this stuff??

Journey.In.Grace

Daughter of the One True King
Sep 2, 2013
Texas, US
✟159,573.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
It's funny, my connection class (youth group) at the church I attend strangely focuses on fellowship and making new friends. While the outreach is good, I think it is watered down a little. Sure, they are focused on bringing people together in fellowship and forming new friendships and relationships, but it's not like everyone is going to group together and hang out. Same with their Tuesday night services. People may linger and talk to others after a while, a big group going out to eat afterwards, but it is not like everyone is going to participate in that. Not everyone is outgoing. I am a pretty good example of that. In the three years I have been there trying to make friends has never been harder, and the pressure and encouragement to get out of my shy and meet people doesn't help. In fact, I think they focus more on their intentions of friendships more than focusing on teaching the Word to us. I think their intentions are good but it is their misguidance to focus on making friends is what got me in walking away from the Lord and focusing on worldly things.

A no no for me.

Maybe I am too shy. Maybe no one wants additional friends and has all the friends they need. I don't have an answer for my consistent hard struggles in actually forming a relationship. I was only ignored and the door slammed in my face in the process for the most part. I thoroughly enjoy our church. Our pastor is mostly deaf and he has the most amazing, uplifting story. I just think the youth groups focus way too much on friendships when it should be more focused about God.

Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,909.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Is this watered down Christianity, or are we just not having an open mind with this stuff??
Hi, its great to meet you, welcome to the forum in Jesus name,
yes it is right to look for a Church, as this pleases the Lord to be part of his body, the Church,
I think a Pentecostal Church may be suitable, or a Spirit filled Charismatic church in another denomination. The Church I attend has mostly dreadful music, but they all love the Lord and the sermons speak to me. It isn't possible to find the perfect Church, as we are all so imperfect, but you do need one that is led by the Spirit.
I pray for you to find the right Church, I trust the Lord, you will...
images

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Their sermon focused on their small groups...over and over again. Even at the end of the sermon, it was mentioned that there would be someone at the back of the church to discuss the matter further. If it was 5 minutes, and then a sermon, it wouldn't feel so odd. However, I am thinking this was overkill.

Probably, it's neither. Several things you wrote in recounting that experience make me think that there is a possibility of this having been a Sunday in which the small group thing was a special topic, one that might have been long in the planning or the result of some congregational study. Unfortunately, if that's so, and this was NOT a typical sermon, it would require you to do some extra work in order to be sure about that--another visit on a different Sunday at the least.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,235,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I am new to this board, have been a Christian for years, but stopped going to church years ago because the church split, and we moved. Its been 5 years, I still haven't found a church. We gave up for a while, life circumstances were getting us down and we had no luck when reaching out. We did try a couple churches, but we did not feel spiritually inspired at all. We are still down and out, but seeking Godly answers and ready to try to find a church as soon as possible.

So, we tried a couple churches, and this most recent one had good music, but didn't seem to have much of a sermon. Their sermon focused on their small groups associated with the church, and it tied back into have friendships and community in a manner that really pushed the small groups, over and over again. Even at the end of the sermon, it was mentioned that there would be someone at the back of the church to discuss the matter further. If it was 5 minutes, and then a sermon, it wouldn't feel so odd. However, I am thinking this was overkill.

Small groups are good, as far as that goes. Probably actually vital. Promoting friendship is good. Discipleship in smaller groups is wise as well as in the large group. It's where some actual Christian accountability becomes possible. So I wouldn't get bent over them focusing on small groups if it's a one time thing.

I'm hoping they did talk about God nonetheless in the time you were there. You might go back and see how it goes on visits two and three. Jesus the Christ the Eternal Son, His Father, and their Spirit ought to be the focus of every Christian worship service. Otherwise it's just a meeting.

Upvote 0

Baileyscave

Feb 20, 2017
Pottstown,pa
✟9,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you everyone for your reply's...I have been to this church twice in the last month, and believe we need to go back again before making judgement. I just want to keep pushing forward and see if this is the right church for us, and not get discouraged. However, I have this gut feel that maybe the door hasn't closed yet on this one. I don't know - maybe I should consider a small group as well. A bit afraid, but I do need Christian friends and fellowship, my heart is just hurt from people leaving my life (backstabbing, death, or fade away), but I need to let people in.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Sounds like you're making a careful study of the different churches. That's good. We often hear from people who were looking, they said, but didn't want to invest enough time in the project to make more than one visit somewhere new. That rarely works.

Upvote 0

Yahchristian

Mar 3, 2017
South Carolina
✟20,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Its been 5 years, I still haven't found a church.

Until you find a local church, you can watch the Watch Live Services | NewSpring Church service live and chat live with others. They have three services each Sunday at 9:15am, 11:15am, and 5:00pm EST.

And if you are ever in South Carolina and want someone to visit the church with you, just let me know.

Upvote 0