Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Why should people skills be a requirement for worshipping Christ? Why does going to church usually leave me with feelings of loneliness, anger, and being rejected?

I go to church, hopping that I will be accepted by people there, and I usually find myself terribly disappointed. I hate going to church, but I pray to Jesus almost everyday.

I believe, and ask for forgiveness. I accept Jesus as my savior. But, I am having a hard time finding a church community.

I hate going to a church and people acting weird with me. I think that it's because they think that I look weird. And, maybe I don't look happy because I am so lonely and not feeling the worthless sermon from their pastor?

Am I saved? Do I need to become baptized in order to be saved? I haven't been baptized yet, and that's because I haven't found a church yet.

There isn't much motivation to go if every time I go feel so unhappy. I'd rather just escape to my video games and Netflix and Hulu. Just escape into things that don't remind me of how alone I feel.

Christians seem so cruel to me. I sometimes think that maybe I should go look for another religion. But, if I were truly saved, then I wouldn't say that, right?

But, I see bad people who go to church. The kind of people who would take pleasure in hurting me. Are they saved? Is what we believe in real?

I make this thread, and I don't know if anyone will say anything helpful to me. Who knows what I go through? Everyone who goes to church has found a community that they can be a part of.

I don't have that, and it sucks so badly. Mostly, I'm lonely and church wouldn't have to satisfy my need for a community. If I had that, I might not be so inclined to go to church anymore. So, maybe that's why I don't make friends at church? That could be why God doesn't guide any people to me.

Feb 19, 2013
✟65,227.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi there,
I'm sorry about what you're going through. I understand your feelings, I have had some similar experiences at church. It's not right, and it shouldn't be that way. Not all churches are like that, I have also experienced some very friendly and inviting churches.
If you have asked Jesus into your heart you are saved. You don't need to be baptized to be saved, but we do it in obedience because that is what he wants and it shows our decision to live for him.
I'm sorry people have been cruel to you, especially christians, I have no idea why they would act that way. It's not your fault, and they will have to answer to God for their actions.
maybe try a different church, and as hard as it may be- what if you go to someone and say hi and start a conversation with them, maybe a new person. It can be a bit nerve racking doing this sometimes if everyone is in groups but just remember that God made all of us equal- you have just as much right to be there and join in as everyone else.
I'll pray that God guides you in this situation.

Reactions: liars_paradox
Upvote 0

Quadratic

Nov 21, 2012
Florida
✟9,181.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
When I first left the church I got saved in, and went off to college, I found it difficult to find a church that accepts a new person. I was about 22 at the time.
So, try another church. And ask the Lord in prayer "I need fellwoship, and to be planted in a church".
PRAYER"
Lord, we asl for LP to be guided to the right church. We ask for Christians to reach out to her. We pray ibn agreement this easter, she would find a nice place to thank Jesus. We ask for her to trust You in this, for a church home, in Jesus name Amen

Upvote 0

Elshevia

Feb 29, 2008
England
✟9,141.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
High love, I am so sorry you have been treated in this way, but there do seem to clicks in Church, it has happened to myself, for instance I am no longer able to go to Church because of disability, does anyone come and see me {NO}...do I care {NO}... Its as if I have never been a member,
am I still close to my Saviour {YES I AM}...how PRAYER it beats everything,{ Prayer moves the hand that moves the World}... thats and old saying but very true, I Pray to God that He will find a Church that you will feel at home in, God BlessYou. Elshevia.:crosseo::angel:

Upvote 0

Danie1979

Mar 26, 2013
Arizona
✟7,744.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Ok, for what I am about to say, please don't anyone take it personally. This is only my experience. I have had a rough life. A sister with Bipolar disease, and other people in my family with mental illnesses. I was mad at God for a very long time, however I still never denied him. I turned to people who made me feel accepted. I became a singer for a metal band. Did some things I wasn't proud of and got a ton of tattoos. To summarize, my life took a huge 180 a few years ago, I totally found God, felt Jesus' presence in the most amazing way, etc. etc.... However, my search for a church community I was hesitant on. I was raised Lutheran. Something about stand up, sit down, kneel, pray... in a coreographed patterned isn't really getting to know God or Jesus. In fact it bored me. To make matters worse, my tattoos, my family's pubically known issues and my own sad paranoia made it much more difficult to feel welcomed. I finally found a non-denominational church in Jacksonville, FL. The pastor was actually an ex- bouncer at a huge college club. He got into drugs and sex and anything else that you could think of. Well of couse he found God and totally changed his life. As I walked around the church I saw so many people from all backgrounds, appearances and all with a past of some sort as we all do. The best part about the church was that EVERYONE was excepted, just how ALL churches SHOULD be. Unfortunately, they are not. A lot of churhces forget the forgiving part, or the thall shall not judge part. I am thankful I found this church. I had to move to AZ for a job and my new awesome fiance back in Dec. It took us a while but we found again , the right church for US. Another non-denom church. :) The music is awesome, the peope are so nice and accept me for ME and the sermon talks to me every time. So the point of my long story is don't give up. Not all churches suck. And not all church goers are bigots. :) Also, I prayed about this exact thing. God can help you find a church too you know.... it doesn't have to be something critical.

Upvote 0

Godfirst1

Sep 23, 2012
✟15,375.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I sympathize with how you feel. My situation isn't quite the same as yours, but for several years I attended a cold, unloving church. I let those Christians push me right out the door with their constant judgement and lack of understanding. For a few years I believed I could be a Christian and just not go. Then I started feeling convicted over not going, and God brought me to the church that I now attend. I am not perfect, and my church is not perfect. We are all humans and need to recognize that some of our own insecurities are shared by others also. Keep praying and keep looking, there is definitely a church home for you where you will feel accepted, but expect that wherever you go that things and people won't always be perfect. We are all sinners, and in different places in our Christian walk. I thought I would never find a warm welcome church home, but I did and you will too. I'll pray for you to find your Christian family. God bless you!

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,085,676.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I have seen several people on this forum talking about negative experiences with Churches. Personally I think it is hard to find a Church with people who are really following the Word. You must not think that insincere people are representatives of the Word. Messiah told us that there would be wolves in sheep's clothing, so if you see that, actually it verifies the truth of the Scriptures.

There is nothing in the Bible, actually, saying you have to go to Church. I'm not saying Church hasn't benefitted people innumerable times, because it has, including me. I'm just saying nowhere are we told to go to a Church. The word "Church" in the New Testament is actually a Greek translation from the Hebrew word "ecclesia", also found in the "Old" Testament. Ecclesia certianly does not mean a big building where people go to worship on Sundays. In fact no such places were known to the apostles and early believers. They met in people's homes or went to the Synagogues.

Ecclesia simply means a gathering of believers. You can have a gathering in your own home, if you can find even one other person who would like that, and do Bible study.

Praying that you will be led to fellowship through Messiah, and to growth in the Truth of the Word.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

liars_paradox

Jun 8, 2009
North Carolina
✟9,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Ok, for what I am about to say, please don't anyone take it personally. This is only my experience. I have had a rough life. A sister with Bipolar disease, and other people in my family with mental illnesses. I was mad at God for a very long time, however I still never denied him. I turned to people who made me feel accepted. I became a singer for a metal band. Did some things I wasn't proud of and got a ton of tattoos. To summarize, my life took a huge 180 a few years ago, I totally found God, felt Jesus' presence in the most amazing way, etc. etc.... However, my search for a church community I was hesitant on. I was raised Lutheran. Something about stand up, sit down, kneel, pray... in a coreographed patterned isn't really getting to know God or Jesus. In fact it bored me. To make matters worse, my tattoos, my family's pubically known issues and my own sad paranoia made it much more difficult to feel welcomed. I finally found a non-denominational church in Jacksonville, FL. The pastor was actually an ex- bouncer at a huge college club. He got into drugs and sex and anything else that you could think of. Well of couse he found God and totally changed his life. As I walked around the church I saw so many people from all backgrounds, appearances and all with a past of some sort as we all do. The best part about the church was that EVERYONE was excepted, just how ALL churches SHOULD be. Unfortunately, they are not. A lot of churhces forget the forgiving part, or the thall shall not judge part. I am thankful I found this church. I had to move to AZ for a job and my new awesome fiance back in Dec. It took us a while but we found again , the right church for US. Another non-denom church. :) The music is awesome, the peope are so nice and accept me for ME and the sermon talks to me every time. So the point of my long story is don't give up. Not all churches suck. And not all church goers are bigots. :) Also, I prayed about this exact thing. God can help you find a church too you know.... it doesn't have to be something critical.

A traditional church like a Lutheran or Episcopalian church seem to appeal to me more. But, I am targeting these non-denominational churches because more young people tend to go to these.

But, I don't like all the music, singing, dancing, etc. What you called a choreographed pattern is what I like in a church - it's ordered. But, I can't target these kinds of churches right now because not enough young people go to them and the people who do go to them all have families. Consequently, I don't fit in so well with them. Maybe after I marry someone...

And, I don't think that a person shouldn't feel guilty for any wrong-doings that they have committed in the past. However, if you're no longer that way and you've moved on, then there's no reason to be guilty for it because you've changed.

But, for those who have on-going struggles that we might never completely get away from, we need that guilt and fear of consequences to drive us to do what's right. Otherwise, we just give in to the inner demon that drives us in the wrong direction.

Btw, just because you have tattoos doesn't mean that you're a bad person. I think that it's silly for people to judge you because of that.

Upvote 0

Angelbug

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
West Midlands
✟24,718.00
Faith
Wesleyan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I sympathize with you,

But let me tell you this, Church is the people, the building is just there to have fellowship in, Dont let them bring you down, I had a miscarriage and was told to stand down, i dont know why they told me to do this, but i know what you are going through. Jesus knows the reason why this happened,

Praying things will be better for you

Upvote 0

liars_paradox

Jun 8, 2009
North Carolina
✟9,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I sympathize with you,

But let me tell you this, Church is the people, the building is just there to have fellowship in, Dont let them bring you down, I had a miscarriage and was told to stand down, i dont know why they told me to do this, but i know what you are going through. Jesus knows the reason why this happened,

Praying things will be better for you

"Stand down"? What do you mean? What did your church do to you because of your miscarriage?

Upvote 0

liars_paradox

Jun 8, 2009
North Carolina
✟9,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I went to a small group for young adults whose ages are in the 20's and 30's. I hope that I find some friends there. Tonight, I didn't find any connections. No one invited me to go out with them afterward.

It will be about half a month before i can go back to this group meeting since they're not holding it at that church next week. So, I really did miss an opportunity, if there ever was one, by not sticking around after the service to meet new people.

People seem so cold and cruel to me. It's hard for me not to feel some resentment, even though, I sometimes tell myself that no one owes me anything and don't have to become my friend if they don't want to..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

liars_paradox

Jun 8, 2009
North Carolina
✟9,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I read somewhere that church is necessary for salvation. If that is true, then people skills are a requirement for salvation as well.

I have bad people skills, so I can't find a church where I belong. Thus, my people skills are preventing me from being saved. But, my people skills rely totally on others accepting me.

If people every where refuse to accept me, then they condemn my soul to burn in Hell forever. That is, if what this person said in his/her essay about church and salvation is correct.

Source:
Is Church Membership Essential to my salvation?

Upvote 0

liars_paradox

Jun 8, 2009
North Carolina
✟9,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You will find a good church very soon! Just keep talking to Your friend who is closer to you than anyone else.

Do you mean God? :D. I normally don't talk to him unless I'm upset about my life or I have sinned. Maybe I should try talking to him about more things. That might help me find a good church.

Upvote 0

liars_paradox

Jun 8, 2009
North Carolina
✟9,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I was in the church choir, and at the time I performed I had to get of the stage due to being sick, They told me to stand down, as they where concerned for my health, I am hoping to go back to the choir soon,

I see, so it wasn't because of the miscarriage that they told you stand down from the choir. I'm sorry for your miscarriage, I hope that you're feeling better now.

I am glad that your church wasn't shunning you because of the miscarriage. That would be terrible if that was the case.

Upvote 0