Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I've been thinking about the Congregationalist structure prevalent in the Baptist tradition.

I am Southern Baptist, and every church in the denomination that I've attended had a single pastor, instead of a group of elders, and some deacons.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong about the congregational system that we have, I just find ecclesiology a fascinating area of study.

There are a couple of Baptist denominations that I know that actually use the episcopal structure. They are the Full Gospel Baptists and the Baptists of Georgia (the country).

I'm curious what the view of my fellow Baptists are.

Do you prefer a Presbyterian polity, or a congregational system with a plurality of elders?

What about congregations led by a single pastor? What about the episcopal structure?

To me, it is a minor issue and I don't really have a preference. I'm more concerned about what the church and denomination are teaching and practicing than what system they are using.

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I've been thinking about the Congregationalist structure prevalent in the Baptist tradition.

I am Southern Baptist, and every church in the denomination that I've attended had a single pastor, instead of a group of elders, and some deacons.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong about the congregational system that we have, I just find ecclesiology a fascinating area of study.

There are a couple of Baptist denominations that I know that actually use the episcopal structure. They are the Full Gospel Baptists and the Baptists of Georgia (the country).

I'm curious what the view of my fellow Baptists are.

Do you prefer a Presbyterian polity, or a congregational system with a plurality of elders?

What about congregations led by a single pastor? What about the episcopal structure?

To me, it is a minor issue and I don't really have a preference. I'm more concerned about what the church and denomination are teaching and practicing than what system they are using.
The Bible, the New Testament, clearly teaches a plurality of elders with the pastor being the head. A two headed thing is a monster. The church is ruled by Christ through His called and set in place pastors and the elders are to assist him in his work.

Congregational rule is never found in the Scriptures. What you have is a bunch of goats who all have a vote and are usually the majority and trouble always follows. That is why they hire and fire pastors as though it was no big things. But God says to regard highly those men whom He has set to rule you in spiritual matters. He who touches His prophet touches the apple of His eye.

The church has never been a democracy but a theonomy. Christ is the Head of His church and He has put men in place as His shepherds to watch over and feed the sheep.

While it is true that most of those men who claim to be called of God just didn't want to get a real job or they wanted to become CEO's God's men do not approach pastoring as a vocation but as a calling from Christ. They do not look for a job as a pastor they wait for Christ to make it clear that He has called them to a particular church. They do not seek the office for their own gain but are servants to His people. They do not send out resumes seeking a position as a vocation but pray and preach at every opportunity the Lord gives them.

The fact is that every time one of the Lord's men listened to the people it turned out bad.

Reactions: ml5363
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,424.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others

I believe in a plurality of Elders and congregationalism. Presbyterian polity is alright but I don't believe it is the most biblical.

Abraham's Seed on Congretationalism

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Mine has two pastors, a senior and a junior and three elders...but no deacons.

Good question as...Im not really sure what the correct structure is?

People talk about clergy and laymen. But not in the baptist church..its more like church members who have dedicated roles, and then theres staff, some who are paid and some that arent.

Upvote 0