✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi all
I have posted before asking questions about church services, namely Easter.
Today I just generally wondered about what your church has in its service. Reading previous posts I have come to see there are many different Presbyterian churches. In Australia it is mainly Presbyterian, Reformed Presbyterian and Free Presbyterian.
Where I am there is only the Presbyterian and that is not in my small country town, I have to drive to it.
If it were possible I would go to a Reformed or Free but this is not so.
I am quite confused as last week I attended the other church my minister goes to and the service was different.
In that service the Psalm was read by the minister and the reading was from the King James Bible and the minister did all the reading.
At the church I usually attend it is a modern translation used (I still use my King James) and women and men read from the Bible, plus when the Psalm is read the minister reads one line and the congregation reads alternately.
Why are they so different?
I know I should ask my minister, which I will do but after church he is ready to go onto the other congregation so cannot spend time and if someone else is talking to him, well you usually miss out.(which I did).
From previous reading of posts it sounds like the PC of America is more like our Uniting church which out here came about some time ago with Methodist, Congregational and Presbyterian joining together to form the Uniting Church. Those who did not agree with this remained Presbyterian.
The Uniting Church amongst other things accepts women preachers and gays and are very liberal.
So what am I really asking? Well I am confused that the same minister has two very different services .
1/ What does your church do?
2/What would you do in my position ?
3/Why would a minister hold two very different services?
If it was to please both congregations, is this scriptural?
As I keep saying I will ask my minister.
Thank you to any replies.

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am quite confused as last week I attended the other church my minister goes to and the service was different.

If it's a typical Australian country parish, it's likely that the minister adjusts the services according to the way each congregation "has always done it."

From previous reading of posts it sounds like the PC of America is more like our Uniting church

No, the Presbyterian Church in America or PCA is much like Presbyterian Church of Australia, and they have fraternal connections.

The Orthodox Presbyterian Church or OPC is much like the Presbyterian Church of Eastern Australia, and they have fraternal connections.

The Presbyterian Church (USA) or PCUSA is much like the Uniting Church in Australia, and they have fraternal connections.

Well I am confused that the same minister has two very different services.

Small Australian country parishes are often the merger of small congregations with different traditions. Those traditions often persist for a long time. Because the minister is "shared" between congregations that are far apart, local elders have even more influence than is usual in the Presbyterian Church.

No doubt the minister has priorities regarding what he would like to change, and what he's happy not to change. For example, if I was a minister, I'd be happy to do the Bible readings myself, and I'd also be happy for members of the congregation to do them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If it's a typical Australian country parish, it's likely that the minister adjusts the services according to the way each congregation "has always done it."

No, the Presbyterian Church in America or PCA is much like Presbyterian Church of Australia, and they have fraternal connections.

The Orthodox Presbyterian Church is much like the Presbyterian Church of Eastern Australia, and they have fraternal connections.

The Presbyterian Church (USA) or PCUSA is much like our Uniting Church, and they have fraternal connections.

Small Australian country parishes are often the merger of small congregations with different traditions. Those traditions often persist for a long time. Because the minister is "shared" between congregations that are far apart, local elders have even more influence than is usual in the Presbyterian Church.

No doubt the minister has priorities regarding what he would like to change, and what he's happy not to change. For example, if I was a minister, I'd be happy to do the Bible readings myself, and I'd also be happy for members of the congregation to do them.
Thank you for that, I never knew there were so many different Presbyterian churches in the USA until this Forum.
You are very knowledgeable about this, are you from Australia?
Just wondering........

• Friendly
Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for that, I never knew there were so many different Presbyterian churches in the USA until this Forum.
You are very knowledgeable about this, are you from Australia?
Just wondering........

I am an Australian Presbyterian, who frequently visits Victoria, and who also has many friends in the USA. :)

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I never knew there were so many different Presbyterian churches in the USA until this Forum.

You ain't seen nothing yet. This chart doesn't even list all of them:

Presbyterian_Family_Connections.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: judson1982
Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You ain't seen nothing yet. This chart doesn't even list all of them:

Presbyterian_Family_Connections.jpg
Oh my! Has the Presbyterian church in Australia got anything like that?
My mind boggles! Why does man make everything so complicated?

Why can't there just be the simplicity of the church as in the New Testament? I wish.....

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Oh my! Has the Presbyterian church in Australia got anything like that?

Yes, I posted it before:

2000px-Timeline_of_Aust._Pres._Denominations_1832-2009.png

Why can't there just be the simplicity of the church as in the New Testament? I wish.....

Conservative groups keep splitting off from liberal ones, and there are small differences (do we sing hymns, do we have musical instruments?) that make it hard to join those conservative groups up again. Such unions do happen, though.

In Australia, we also have small conservative Presbyterian denominations with roots in Scotland (most of them), Ireland (Reformed Presbyterian, Free Presbyterian), and the USA (Westminster Presbyterian).

However, small conservative Presbyterian denominations are generally pretty friendly to each other. They often share seminaries, and people often switch between them when they move to another town.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Great question! :)

Four answers:

1) Christians are forgiven; not perfect.

2) History is complicated.

3) Genuine differences continue to exist between Christians.

4) Even the smallest micro-denomination is at least able to arrange formal unity among its congregations. That's a step in the right direction.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Four answers:

1) Christians are forgiven; not perfect.

2) History is complicated.

3) Genuine differences continue to exist between Christians.

4) Even the smallest micro-denomination is at least able to arrange formal unity among its congregations. That's a step in the right direction.
As I read the NT, there was a spiritual unity among local churches rather than an organizational one.

• Agree
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As I read the NT, there was a spiritual unity among local churches rather than an organizational one.

Organisation was loose, but there was organisational unity in that pastors were exchanged between congregations, there were ecumenical councils (Acts of the Apostles 15), provision for the poor in other congregations (Romans 15:25-26), etc.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Organisation was loose, but there was organisational unity in that pastors were exchanged, there were centralised councils (Acts of the Apostles 15), provision for the poor in other congregations (Romans 15:25-26), etc.
We must remember that the Apostolic era was not perpetuated; eventually there were no more Apostles; what endured was the Apostolic, Biblical doctrine that did not need a geographical organization to uphold it.

• Agree
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We must remember that the Apostolic era was not perpetuated; eventually there were no more Apostles

Those three things I mentioned (exchange of pastors, ecumenical councils as in Acts of the Apostles 15, provision for the poor in other congregations as in Romans 15:25-26) continued.

For example, the Council of Nicaea (the first major council after Roman persecution stopped) resolved a number of issues of both faith and practice.

The Church needs denominations. Among other things, to give a structure for training pastors, and to give a structure for resolving conflicts. My personal belief is that the Presbyterian style of structure is one of the most effective ones.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Those three things I mentioned (exchange of pastors, ecumenical councils as in Acts of the Apostles 15, provision for the poor in other congregations as in Romans 15:25-26) continued.

For example, the Council of Nicaea (the first major council after Roman persecution stopped) resolved a number of issues of both faith and practice.

The Church needs denominations. Among other things, to give a structure for training pastors, and to give a structure for resolving conflicts.
I don't believe that meaning was infused into Scripture at Nicea.

It would be more accurate to say that what was there in Scripture was recognized by people who were there, but that after Nicea - at which there was also a lot politicking - Scripture was no less the self-sufficient court of appeal than it was before.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It would be more accurate to say that what was there in Scripture was recognized by people who were there

True. But what happened was that the large majority of Trinitarian pastors there spoke to the small minority of Arians, and said this is what Scripture teaches. That resolved a very serious issue where some pastors had been teaching the wrong thing.

There were other, more practical, issues resolved and standardised in the discussions at Nicaea:
  • could an unmarried pastor have a woman living with him to "keep house"? (yes -- as long as it was his mother, sister, or aunt)
  • should the congregation stand or kneel when praying? (stand)
  • what was the date of Easter? (the Egyptian church would decide, because they had the best astronomers)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
True. But what happened was that the large majority of Trinitarian pastors there spoke to the small minority of Arians, and said this is what Scripture teaches. That resolved a very serious issue where some pastors had been teaching the wrong thing.

There were other, more practical, issues resolved and standardised in the discussions at Nicaea:
  • could an unmarried pastor have a woman living with him to "keep house"? (yes -- as long as it was his mother, sister, or aunt)
  • what was the date of Easter? (the Egyptian church would decide, because they had the best astronomers)
It depends what you mean by "resolve".

On whose authority? Scripture's?

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It depends what you mean by "resolve".

On whose authority? Scripture's?

If you consider the three decisions I picked out:
  • could an unmarried pastor have a woman living with him to "keep house"? (yes -- if it was his mother, sister, or aunt)
  • what was the date of Easter? (the Egyptian church would decide)
The first decision applies 1 Timothy 3:2 to a specific practical question. The last two decisions were cases where the exact decisions really didn't matter, but where there were benefits (in terms of general unity and in terms of people moving between cities) in having churches do things the same way.

Imagine, for example, if every denomination and every individual non-denominational church celebrated Easter on a different day!

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you consider the three decisions I picked out:
  • could an unmarried pastor have a woman living with him to "keep house"? (yes -- if it was his mother, sister, or aunt)
  • what was the date of Easter? (the Egyptian church would decide)
The first decision applies 1 Timothy 3:2 to a specific practical question. The last two decisions were cases where the exact decisions really didn't matter, but where there were benefits (in terms of general unity and in terms of people moving between cities) in having churches do things the same way.

Imagine, for example, if every denomination and every individual non-denominational church celebrated Easter on a different day!
You miss my point.

Scripture is the court of appeal for each local church.

What counts about Easter is the Resurrection (1 Corinthians 15.57, etc.), not having a superstructure of organization to "celebrate" it.

Though we both profess to be Protestants, probably, and would probably hold to Sola Scriptura, we evidently view the nature of Scripture's authority in profoundly different ways, it would seem.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You miss my point.

No, I don't.

Scripture is the court of appeal for each local church.

And how does that work out in practice? What if the congregation is split on how they interpret Scripture?

And what if the local church is wrong? What if Pastor Bob in Springfield is preaching false teaching? What mechanisms exist for other pastors to take him aside, and say "Hey Bob, you're interpreting Scripture incorrectly?"

What counts about Easter is the Resurrection

Yes, but if you're going to have a special "Resurrection Sunday," it's nice if everybody agrees on what day that should be.

Though we both profess to be Protestants

I'm a (conservative) Presbyterian. You're not. We probably have very little in common, in terms of how we interpret Scripture.

And I'm kind of hazy on why exactly you're in the Presbyterian forum attacking Presbyterian church polity.

Upvote 0