Church/Seminaries & Exclusion of Minority: Why are Blacks/3rd World insights ignored?

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
To whom it may concern,

It has been on my mind for sometime (after following many of the discussions) that there generally seems to be a great lack of theological perspective that gets brought up whenever it seems that discussion occurs. Either Catholics will be blasting Protestants for where they are lacking - or Protestants will do the same. And yet in both sides, I've seen it where it seems those whom they promote for their camp are rarely - if ever - someone from a minority group.

With Ecclesial history and development in the African American Christian experience, it is understood that US 'religious' history is a complex thing (owing to the expanse of the country geographically, the influx of discrete cultures through various means and purposes, a sense of "modernization" as an inherent cultural mode, etc.).

Truthfully, I sometimes get very discouraged - and a bit frustrated - when it seems that there are very few who have real awareness/knowledge of Ecclesial history from a perspective that is not Caucasian focused - Eurocentric dominated.....and actually considerate of the extensive ways of how things evolved around the world/globally.

church10.jpg

Goodness, it seems very saddening that people within many seminaries will never come close to understanding perspectives of the Protestant world or the Catholic (or Orthodox) from those in what's labeled "the third world" - a convenient term that actually was used to disconnect others as actually being a part of the world considered worthy of leadership......

And thus, leaders who developed in the Asian context or the African (or West Indian ) - as well as American (from African-American to Asian-American to Hispanic-America) context or that of First Nations/Aboriginal people may have been influenced greatly by the camps people discussed in Protestant/Catholic circles - but no one really seems to think on them because they've been trained to already have the picture in their mind that they aren't worth it.

If someone's a Pentecostal Protestant, I'll often hear on people such as Charles Parham being one of the great figures within the Pentecostal movement, with his viewpoint helping to influence the Pentecostal Revival beginning in the early 20th century.....and also one that greatly influened William Seymour, yet not many wish to discuss how Parham would not even let Seymour into the classroom full of white students because Seymour was BLACK. And Seymour was NOT going to let Parham's racism stop him from receiving the insights into God's Word that Parham was given. ....and instead of walking away, he chose to listen outside of the classroom window/gain what he could. Both were Pentecostal and worked with one another - yet in the times they lived in, Charles did not like how Seymour claimed to be Pentecostal and yet advocated that blacks were just as called to being blessed as whites were (more shared here ).

But in many seminaries, that's not openly discussed.

It makes zero sense to me that the name of someone such as Fredrick Douglass or Harriet Tubman (known as the Moses of her people due to liberating hundreds of blacks from slavery ) or Sojourner Truth for her work in women's rights - and many others are not even brought up as prominent figures in the development of the Protestant movement......highly ironic - and to be honest, a sign of unconscious racism (which I'm not surprised by since many of the Reformers later on had slaves ) since it is a historical fact that the Protestant Reformation and the Inquisition both indirectly influenced the development of the Transatlantic Slave Trade ...in light of how in different nations, religious persecution by Catholics of Protestant sects, Protestant persecution of Catholics, and the Spanish Inquisition of Jews and other non-Christians led people to migrate to the New World to escape religious persecution and many Christians believed that the conversion of the indigenous population to Christianity was imperative ....some in Africa converting others to the beliefs of the Reformers by force and leading to situations as we see today .

We see how Dutch missionaries were active in trying to convert Taiwan's population to Christianity - in light of how Protestant missionaries established schools where Biblical religion and the Dutch language were taught - and by 1650, the Dutch had converted 5,900 of the island's inhabitants to Protestant Christianity.....with he same missionary efforts also undertaken in the other Dutch territories......as missionaries were sent by the Dutch East India Company in the Far East to the Malaysians in the early seventeenth
century (alongside Indonesia) - meaning that in the Dutch controlled territories, there was clear Protestant Christian rule, and there were efforts made to evangelize the native populations. For during the era of Protestant Reformation, in the continents of Asia and Africa, British colonial rule was not yet as extensive as that of the Dutch...nor did it do as much good in promoting the Reformed faith as the Dutch.. But in the aftermath of the Protestant Reformation, British rule was to prove more enduring, and its effects more extensive.​

Racism and theological stances often go directly together ...

It's hard to help many realize how African Protestantism was mediated through Protestant missionaries in the context of Colonialism (with African Protestantism being its own branch in multiple levels) - meaning that of course the main/dominant leaders that get brought up as the "Founders" tend to be those who are European - and to realize that many of the groups they want to slap all together get offended due to how the Reformation and by deduction Protestantism was primarily a national, at best European movement in its stages - and one that often seemed not concerned with reflecting the culture of others it wanted to gain to its side like cards in a game....[/LEFT]

The same, of course, goes for Catholics seeing how it seems not many want to talk on the extensive ways they did the SAME things as the Protestants they try to group together when it comes to minorities having a DIFFERENT view of history in how they weren't considered. This comes to mind specifically with dynamics such as Liberation Theology - and how often I've seen it where Black Catholics have long noted that they always had a radically different understanding of Catholic Theology than other Catholics when it came to seeing solidarity with other Blacks who were Protestants...while other Catholics that were NOT Black seemed to be the main ones arguing on why Protestants and Catholics were not to work together whatsoever - and the same thing goes for Hispanics as well when it comes to Hispanic/Latino Hispanic Catholics seeing solidarity with those who are non-Catholic in the struggles they went through .....Liberation Theology uniting both groups together.

This is something I've also seen in Orthodoxy as well - as Black Orthodox have seemed far more able and willing to work with Non-Orthodox when it comes to seeing common struggles between groups. I'm reminded of Archbishop Iakovos, who offered 37 years of service which were distinguished by his leadership in furthering religious unity, revitalizing Christian worship and championing human and civil rights and choosing to work with Dr. Martin Luther King.

Often, you won't even hear about Protestant leaders from the ethnic groups conquered by European Protestants since it wasn't important to listen to them :argh:- there was a lot of nationalism going on that prevented people from being heard.....and even others who are Black & Reformed have noted that dynamic. You won't even hear - with the Reformation in later history - of other notable leaders who paved the way, such as David George (an ex-Slave and first Protestant missionary to Africa as well as founder of the first black Baptist Church in America) Lott Carey in his establishing the first Baptist Church in West Africa and other significant Africa-American Church leaders[/LEFT]

No one wants to talk on how many Protestants in the U.S as well as other parts of the world (when the Protestant Reformation was expanding in centuries) wanted to convert blacks - but not allow them to be intergrated as equals in their churches.......No one considers what occurred last year - for when asking "Who was really the first Protestant missionary from America?", the title has traditionally been bestowed upon Adoniram Judson and his wife Ann, who left for Burma in 1812. But last year, Southern Baptist pastor Dwight McKissic proposed that delegates to today's SBC annual meeting challenge this tradition and instead recognize George Liele, a freed slave who started a church in Jamaica 30 years before the Judsons left New England, as "America's First Missionary."

With Black and Non-Caucasian Protestants, it's truly complicated...and yet it's sadly not respected enough to have an audience for some.[/LEFT]

I pray what I've said makes sense - for it is something I've had to wonder on for a long time....and if anyone (paticularly those who themselves are minorities ) has either felt similarly or had the same thoughts, I'd love to hear.

Do you feel perspectives of those who are either Black - be it with Protestants or Catholics - have been ignored? And how to go about addressing the issue?

Shalom :)
black-history-exhibit-2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: brinny

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Gxg (G²);64653769 said:
It has been on my mind for sometime (after following many of the discussions) that there generally seems to be a great lack of theological perspective that gets brought up whenever it seems that discussion occurs. Either Catholics will be blasting Protestants for where they are lacking - or Protestants will do the same. And yet in both sides, I've seen it where it seems those whom they promote for their camp are rarely - if ever - someone from a minority group.
For anyone interested..

Some of this is based in what was discussed earlier in another thread dealing with historical groups in the Radical Reformation and the Reformation - seeing which modern groups would qualify for today (as discussed here and here and here).

Some good books I've read on the issue that you'd probably would find it good to invest in are African Reformation: African Initiated Christianity (By Allan Anderson - who considers the developments of African Initiated Christianity to be JUST as monumental as the Protestant Reformation) - as well as Music in the Life of the African Church ( By Roberta Rose King)......Towards Liturgies that Reconcile: Race and Ritual Among African-American and European-American Protestants by William Scott Haldeman... or Reshaping Protestantism in a Global Context - Page 52

Also, one can go here to see how African-American missionaries are very much a part of the history of the Church - even though I've not seen many spoken of in seminaries.

It often seems that people stereotype Christianity - thinking that it's automatically something that can only appear in a Western, European fashion (the one they often attach to a host of issues - from the Crusades to the Spanish Inquisition to Imperialism/Colonialism that advocated slavery.....or Manifest Destiny utilized to wipe out American Indians and a host of other issues).....and thus, they often choose to ignore it.

However, what I've noticed is how often people don't consider the ways that Christianity was contexualized in the cultures of other Indigenious groups who didn't assume they had to cease all aspects of who they were in their culture in order to truly glorify the Lord.

I'm reminded of some American Indian dances referred to me by another "First Nations" Christian..a Lakota Sioux who follows Christ. They really amazed me when considering how often I grew up hearing/seeing in differing churches that such things were not to be allowed in the name of it not being "Christian" (even though the styles they allowed were not always practiced within the culture of those in the Bible and were made CENTURIES after)........ And the same goes for those a part of the world gathering of Indigenous People seeking to serve the Lord.

For more info, one can go online/investigate the following under their respective titles:

Inaugural World Christian Gathering of Indigenous People ( YouTube - Inaugural World Christian Gathering of Indigenous People )​

For other wonderful sources of information, I'd highly suggest for others to consider investigating the work of the Late Dr. Richard Twiss of Wiconi International (more here and here and #1/ #18 #111 #126 ) - as he was one of my biggest inspirations when it came to seeing the diversity present within the Body of Christ :) And he really broke it down when sharing on our cultural preferences, and our incompleteness without our neighbor.

From Somoa to Lakota Sioux to Berber to Aboriginal to Inuit/Eskimo to Hawaiian and the many groups in Asia and so many others......all doing what the Apostle Paul himself did when it came to contexualizing the Gospel (more shared earlier in #17/ #22 #94 ). Others may trip thinking it's not Christianity if it doesn't have an American/Western feel to it....but that's unnecessary, IMHO.

I know of a church called the Covenant in Texas and every year they perform interpative dances in their native culture but glorify the Lord with it......and if others question it, I'd ask "Would any of you go into Korea and say “Hey you have to change your culture to a biblical culture (which is mostly Western) or your worship is not of God.” What about Africa where the Gospel has been preached and they still paint their faces and perfrom dance ceremonies for the Lord? Would you label that wrong? Would you say it does not belong in God’s house? "

I'd also ask "What about Somoa where they where Somain clothing still do their chants but they glorify God." What often seems to happen in responses others give to differing cultures is seen in the statement “the way I worship is correct and other cultures need to either conform or will be written off as wrong”. That is sin, IMHO---for how is that Revelation 5:9 and Rev 7:9

If some were to become world missionaries you would have a rough time because you couldn’t draw the line between culture and essentials.

[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Gxg (G²);64653831 said:
For anyone interested..

Some of this is based in what was discussed earlier in another thread dealing with historical groups in the Radical Reformation and the Reformation - seeing which modern groups would qualify for today (as discussed here and here and here).

Some good books I've read on the issue that you'd probably would find it good to invest in are African Reformation: African Initiated Christianity (By Allan Anderson - who considers the developments of African Initiated Christianity to be JUST as monumental as the Protestant Reformation) - as well as Music in the Life of the African Church ( By Roberta Rose King)......Towards Liturgies that Reconcile: Race and Ritual Among African-American and European-American Protestants by William Scott Haldeman... or Reshaping Protestantism in a Global Context - Page 52

For others choosing to get involved, I do ask that you'd please keep the conversation civil and that regardless of where you stand, that there'd be disagreement respectfully. I'm aware of how there are strong feelings on multiple sides - and it's not always the case that people will see the same, but seeing differently doesn't require taking the eyes of another out..

Also, I do pray that it is understood from the jump that I don't intend to dismiss those areas in Missions which actually ARE based on respecting minorities and others in 3rd world nations from the Protestant or Catholic World. St.Francis Xavier did amazing when it came to his work amongst others in Japan.....his work connected specifically with something known as inculturation. For more:

• [URL="http://www.jstor.org/stable/25023998"]Inculturation and Adaptation in Japan before and after Vatican ...
For some good info on the subject of inculturation done by the Catholic Church with Eastern cultures when it comes to alot of things relating to ancestor worship:

One of the great inroads Catholicism has with Japan is how elements of Shinto can lead to an inculturated understanding of the communion of saints and prayer for those who have passed...and how the persecuted church was able to utilize this in order to survive, just as it was the case with the Chineese Rites Controversy in the Church when it came to Ancestory Worship and how others sought to make clear that one can honor their ancestors/even commune with them without worshipping them.

St.Francis Xavier (perhaps the greatest Jesuit Missionary to Japan, who traveled throughout Asia and spread the Gospel in revolutionary ways..prior to the massive persecutions that nearly wiped Christianity out in the areas he resided in and other things went down). He would often say to missionaries to the East when saying it was important to not only learn the language/culture of prospective converts...but to embrance foreign cultures even at the expense of one's own since only a Gospel stripped to its essence can penetrate an alien culture. In places such as China, this was made very difficult at some points...such as with what occurred when the acceptance of Christianity was made more difficult by the Rites Controversy and related Eurocentric rulings from Rome that were inflexible in dealing with rites to ancestors and to Confucius. For this produced an untenable situation in which conversion to Christianity forced one to be unfilial to one's ancestors. ...and thankfully, Rome later reversed these rulings in 1939 in a case involving Japanese Shinto. Though others disagreed, many in the Catholic church felt there was much truth already present in the Asian culture and showing truth inherent in ancestor worship was necessary for helping others understand the other aspect of communion with the saints........as it was a good middle-ground way of reaching those who already are open to the concept of ancestor worship AND the awareness of the saints still being present with us.

Granted, there is a fine line when using inculturation. Although not the East there is an inculturated form of the liturgy called the Zaire Use in Africa that very competently handles the issues we may encounter in societies with deep religious respect for ancestors. So although it is a connection that is helpful it can also be done poorly and in a way that contradicts the theology others have on Saints.

But it can be done properly - and in places where this HAS been done, I am always surprised to see how little many seem to bring it up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

graceandpeace

Episcopalian
Sep 12, 2013
✟22,175.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
The only thing I do know is that there are churches divided along racial lines. It is not always intentional - if there are more Caucasians in a particular neighborhood, then usually the churches in that area will reflect that population. But sometimes, it does seem to be clear that certain preferences have been indulged to attract or meet a particular racial or cultural demographic. This goes for divisions in age as well; I visited a church that had a "contemporary" service full of 30's & under, & a "traditional" service that was primarily 50's & up.

Perhaps this has been a failure in many Protestant churches in general - trying to meet everyone's feelings & desires for what they "want" in a service...

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I don't mean to criticize, your thread sounds interesting and I want to read it, but when you post a giant picture like that in a long post, at least on my screen I've got to scroll horizontally back and forth for each line and it makes it really difficult to read.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I don't mean to criticize, your thread sounds interesting and I want to read it, but when you post a giant picture like that in a long post, at least on my screen I've got to scroll horizontally back and forth for each line and it makes it really difficult to read.
That's understood - pic was re sized to help with that

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The only thing I do know is that there are churches divided along racial lines. It is not always intentional - if there are more Caucasians in a particular neighborhood, then usually the churches in that area will reflect that population. But sometimes, it does seem to be clear that certain preferences have been indulged to attract or meet a particular racial or cultural demographic.
Very true...

There are a lot of times people often seem to go OUT of the way to avoid other ethnic groups in an area in desire to stay one way - and that's something that goes for all racial lines.
This goes for divisions in age as well; I visited a church that had a "contemporary" service full of 30's & under, & a "traditional" service that was primarily 50's & up.

Perhaps this has been a failure in many Protestant churches in general - trying to meet everyone's feelings & desires for what they "want" in a service...
I think what it often comes down to is not knowing how to meet the needs of others in an area.

But as it concerns the OP focus, there has consistently been actions done to certain groups that avoid addressing where leaders/theologians from their camp who helped tremendously have been either ignored ....or made to be of less influence than they are. And that's a problem...

Upvote 0
T

Thekla

Gxg (G²);64653890 said:
For others choosing to get involved, I do ask that you'd please keep the conversation civil and that regardless of where you stand, that there'd be disagreement respectfully. I'm aware of how there are strong feelings on multiple sides - and it's not always the case that people will see the same, but seeing differently doesn't require taking the eyes of another out..

and - subscribing :)

Upvote 0
T

Thekla

To some extent re: the history of this and the US, I think it's impossible to completely divorce this phenomenon from its larger meaning, ie the acculturation of "the other" using Christianity and religious conversion as the form to do so with the included aim to meet political and economic "ends". This does not mean that all engaged in missionizing with economic, political, and cultural ends in view separate from preaching Christ, but that the whole was wound together. Ie, the secular religion becomes to some extent indistinguishable from faith, and each become (to some extent) vehicle for the other.

There is the sense of acculturation, or through evangelizing "civilizing" a people but this is not entirely meant, I think, in the same way as the above phenomenon. To wit, the existing culture through Christianizing is "baptized" or lifted to Christ in service of Him. In this sense, though the existing cultural attributes remain (economic systems, arts, etc.), elements that are not consonant with Christ fade away and those elements that can be consonant with Christ are placed in service to Him (ie "lifted up" and then serve).

Culture is fundamentally important to Christianity in some ways. For example, under Ottoman rule, Greeks were not educated (schools were closed, etc.) and direct teaching of Christ was often impossible. Yet, because the culture had been transformed, the culture itself was essential in maintaining Christianity and became the teaching of Christ (through doing and outlook or mindset).

The problem is when attributes of a culture (the economic system, arts, etc.) are mistaken for Christianity, or have not been truly transformed in Him, or He has been lost from the center (the culture degrades away from its incarnational attributes), or a transformed culture is imposed on those missionized meaning their Christianity operates in a "foreign tongue".

The missionizing of the Philippines (Pres. Mickinley), the preference for Evangelical Protestant professing politicos in Central America regardless of their actions (80's), and the Indian Schools are examples where these aspects are to some extent wound together.

::: American Indians of the Pacific Northwest :::

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Pope Francis is from a 3rd world country :)
Indeed - even though it took a LONG time to even get there (As shared before here in http://www.christianforums.com/t7723250-16/ ). I find it wild to see the fact that the new Pope is from Argentina, the first non-European leader of the church in more than 1,000 years -an advocate for addressing poverty...one named after Francis Xavier ( a fellow Jesuit/amazing missionary to Japa...n/Asian countries) and very humble pastoral figure whose background sends a powerful message that the future of the Church lies in the Global South, the location of the majority of the world's Cathlolics.

I find it noteworthy that he took bus to work and the people could come up to talk to him anytime..in addition to the fact that he lived in an apartment/ cooked for himself - and isn't afraid to speak out on the issues of economic corruption and capitalist mindsets that have led to others being seen for the sake of profit (as shared in http://www.christianforums.com/t7750312-71/#post63292739 and pope francis | BillMoyers.com )...issues that have ALWAYS been more relevant to those in 3rd world nations than other places..

Pope Francis Takes on Economy in Name of Conscious Capitalism - YouTube
Pope Francis Slams "Tyranny" of Capitalism and "Idolatry of Money" - YouTube
Pope Francis Slams GOP Trickle-Down Economics, Greed & Cruelty! - YouTube
Pope Francis Goes Off On Capitalism - YouTube

A lot of networks are saying his election was a night of firsts for the Catholic Church. And for many of the humble/God-Fearing Catholics who've done serious ministry in down-trodden areas, I am glad they're encouraged.

Others have spoken on the issue before in-depth. Philip Jenkins - The New Christendom (latest edition). - comes to mind. He has written about the South being the new centre of the Church and the North / West losing out to secularism. I've read the work "The New Christendom" before...around 2 years ago, actually. Awesome read, IMHO, when it comes to showing Global Christianity.

A lot of people were concerned that choosing a Pope from the Global South would signify that the North/West were being abandoned as the center of definition in influence for the Catholic world. Others felt that choosing a Non-European pope would send a signal that they are giving up on being an active force in the Global Borth and looking to become increasingly insular in that part of the globe, while looking to the Global South to be the cultural center of the Church for potentially centuries to come, relying on the high conversion rate and zeal for religion down there- and swinging way to the conservative end of the spectrum.

However, I think that perhaps shifting to the Global South as a dominant force/the spot to influence things globally would not be negative...for the opposite result is that there'd be implict focus on the Global North seeking to be the main source of influence/not allow for a new time of influence to develop and take a rest in history. Having the Global SOUTH - which is shaping things would not necessarily mean that the Global North was abandoned ...no more than it'd be the case that having the Global North lead would mean the Global South was abandoned. It seems that others are seeing the writing on the wall with the SOuth rising more so in prominence and leadership - and thus, to have a face representative of that would be beneficial.

Indeed, the Church is not going to give up on Europe, North America and the Pacific Rim in favor of building up in the high growth areas of Africa and South America. As it is, the Pacific Rim in addition to Asia is also connected to the Global South dynamic. There do seem to be valid reasons why the Global South should be more of a focus. As one author said best:
Across the global South cardinals and bishops have become national moral leaders in a way essentially unseen in the West since the seventeenth century. The struggles of South African churches under apartheid spring to mind, but just as impressive were the pro-democracy campaigns of many churches and denominations elsewhere in Africa during the 1980s and 1990s. Prelates know that they are expected to speak for their people, even though if they speak boldly, they may well pay with their lives. Important and widely revered modern martyrs include Archbishop Luwum, of Uganda; Archbishop Munzihirwa, of Zaire; and Cardinal Biayenda, of Congo-Brazzaville.

As this sense of moral leadership grows, we might reasonably ask whethr Christianity will also provide a guiding political ideology for much of the world. We might even imagine a new wave of Christian states, in which political life is inextricably bound up with religious belief. Zambia declared itself a Christian nation in 1991, and similar ideas have been bruited in Zimbabwe, Kenya, and Liberia. If this ideal does gain popularity, the Christian South will soon be dealing with some debates, of long standing in the North, over the proper relationship between Church and State and between rival churches under the law.

I agree with others who note that it is simply a change in atmosphere that has been a long time coming. The Global South does seem to be where we're headed back to - and interestingly enough, historically it was the case that the world was guided by it once before - a thought often forgotten historically - so it's not the first time that area has shaped the world and it shouldn't be something people get concerned with since it may be necessary to bring change.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Pope Francis is from a 3rd world country :)
There are many others who were in existence long before Pope Francis, unfortunately, who seemed to be neglected GREATLY when it came to the struggles they went through and those things they sought to establish - especially as it concerns things such as Liberation Theology and its impact in Latin America (as here"]shared before here[/URL]).

Óscar Romero in his fights against the economic systems of his day comes immediately to mind

On March 24, 1980 Oscar Romero was shot and killed as he was saying Mass on this altar. “A bishop will die,” Romero had said, foreseeing his own fate, “but the church of God—the people—will not perish.”

Although he began as a conservative archbishop, opposed to the progressive liberation theology that was popular among those seeking to help poor farmers in El Salvador, Oscar Romero was changed when his friend, a priest, was assassinated as a result of commitment to social justice. Through weekly homilies on national radio, Romero advocated an end to the repression of the people in El Salvador, thus making himself an enemy of the government and the military. Unfortunately, he was not successful in ending the violence and more than seventy-five thousand Salvadorans would eventually be killed, while one million would leave the country, and another million would be left homeless. Additionally, because of his prophetic witness, Romero became a target of assassination.

There were many others besides him who were trying to tackle what the scriptures addressed when it came to economic oppression and oppression - things that were justified and embedded into institutional systems THROUGHOUT Latin America since the days that the Spanish Catholics and Portuguese came to the New World/set up colonies based on theology saying the Natives were meant to be enslaved and that they had to be content with the way things were. Too often it seems that other theologians from the Native world were ignored and in our times it is becoming a focus again....

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
To some extent re: the history of this and the US, I think it's impossible to completely divorce this phenomenon from its larger meaning, ie the acculturation of "the other" using Christianity and religious conversion as the form to do so with the included aim to meet political and economic "ends". This does not mean that all engaged in missionizing with economic, political, and cultural ends in view separate from preaching Christ, but that the whole was wound together. Ie, the secular religion becomes to some extent indistinguishable from faith, and each become (to some extent) vehicle for the other.
In many respects, what you're noting is a matter akin to how webs can get entangled together with other things and it becomes hard to see where one thing began and another ended.

The history of the U.S and Protestant Christianity is shows where the economic concerns of the time often led to a development of theological stances - with other Protestant camps forming from there, each one often focused on the other one being either "more" or "less" accurate even as those groups (i.e. minorities, etc.) which were harmed by ALL of the sides are assimilated and no one gave a second thought to them.

There is the sense of acculturation, or through evangelizing "civilizing" a people but this is not entirely meant, I think, in the same way as the above phenomenon. To wit, the existing culture through Christianizing is "baptized" or lifted to Christ in service of Him. In this sense, though the existing cultural attributes remain (economic systems, arts, etc.), elements that are not consonant with Christ fade away and those elements that can be consonant with Christ are placed in service to Him (ie "lifted up" and then serve).
It is amazing to consider the ways Christ and concepts connected with him were utilized to enslave other groups even though the concepts in/of themselves were true.

I am reminded of a book I came across recently that spoke on the issue - entitled The Color of Christ: The Son of God & the Saga of Race in America"

Culture is fundamentally important to Christianity in some ways. For example, under Ottoman rule, Greeks were not educated (schools were closed, etc.) and direct teaching of Christ was often impossible. Yet, because the culture had been transformed, the culture itself was essential in maintaining Christianity and became the teaching of Christ (through doing and outlook or mindset).
If I'm understanding you, it seems you're saying that sometimes systems opposed to Christianity still utilize aspects of them due to how those aspects were what set the stage for their existence to begin with.

The problem is when attributes of a culture (the economic system, arts, etc.) are mistaken for Christianity, or have not been truly transformed in Him, or He has been lost from the center (the culture degrades away from its incarnational attributes), or a transformed culture is imposed on those missionized meaning their Christianity operates in a "foreign tongue".
Is it always negative when attributes of a culture become mistaken for Christianity or a medium Christianity is expressed in?

The missionizing of the Philippines (Pres. Mickinley), the preference for Evangelical Protestant professing politicos in Central America regardless of their actions (80's), and the Indian Schools are examples where these aspects are to some extent wound together.

What occurred with the Indian Boarding schools was a true evil and amazing that it was allowed while Native American theologians who were not concerned with going for it were labeled as being "against Christ" - and to this day, in many circles, are not remembered.

The same goes for the Evangelical Protestants in the 80s killed due to being labeled as "Communists" ...and the same with the Philippines..

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

There were also boarding schools for Aboriginal people and sadly they went through the same exact thing

Of course, others are at least willing to discuss the issue honestly. I'm reminded of Dr John Harris, author of One Blood, a landmark study into 200 years of Aboriginal encounter with Christianity.....for he sought to discuss the impact of European missionaries on Aboriginal Culture. Specifically, out of a burning conviction that “God made of one blood all nations”, Christians have carried their message to Aborigines throughout Australia....and John shares how, in the face of abuse, paternalism, prejudice, isoluation and crippling hardship, the Christian gospel was brought to Aboriginal people. Although sometimes blind to their own faults, those who brought this message were remarkable people of great compassion and courage....and yet their actions had severe consequences. Historically, Christianmissions were sometimes places of regimentation marked by a loss of freedom or places of survival and refuge for a suffering people. And although the missions may seem to have failed, from many of them emerged distinctive Aboriginal churches with strong Aboriginal leadership (more here and here or here)

And for others:

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Gxg (G²);64653831 said:
For anyone interested..

Also, one can go here to see how African-American missionaries are very much a part of the history of the Church - even though I've not seen many spoken of in seminaries.

It often seems that people stereotype Christianity - thinking that it's automatically something that can only appear in a Western, European fashion (the one they often attach to a host of issues - from the Crusades to the Spanish Inquisition to Imperialism/Colonialism that advocated slavery.....or Manifest Destiny utilized to wipe out American Indians and a host of other issues).....and thus, they often choose to ignore it.

However, what I've noticed is how often people don't consider the ways that Christianity was contexualized in the cultures of other Indigenious groups who didn't assume they had to cease all aspects of who they were in their culture in order to truly glorify the Lord.

I'm reminded of some American Indian dances referred to me by another "First Nations" Christian..a Lakota Sioux who follows Christ. They really amazed me when considering how often I grew up hearing/seeing in differing churches that such things were not to be allowed in the name of it not being "Christian" (even though the styles they allowed were not always practiced within the culture of those in the Bible and were made CENTURIES after)........ And the same goes for those a part of the world gathering of Indigenous People seeking to serve the Lord.

For more info, one can go online/investigate the following under their respective titles:

Inaugural World Christian Gathering of Indigenous People ( YouTube - Inaugural World Christian Gathering of Indigenous People )​

For other wonderful sources of information, I'd highly suggest for others to consider investigating the work of the Late Dr. Richard Twiss of Wiconi International (more here and here and #1/ #18 #111 #126 ) - as he was one of my biggest inspirations when it came to seeing the diversity present within the Body of Christ :) And he really broke it down when sharing on our cultural preferences, and our incompleteness without our neighbor.

From Somoa to Lakota Sioux to Berber to Aboriginal to Inuit/Eskimo to Hawaiian and the many groups in Asia and so many others......all doing what the Apostle Paul himself did when it came to contexualizing the Gospel (more shared earlier in #17/ #22 #94 ). Others may trip thinking it's not Christianity if it doesn't have an American/Western feel to it....but that's unnecessary, IMHO.

I know of a church called the Covenant in Texas and every year they perform interpative dances in their native culture but glorify the Lord with it......and if others question it, I'd ask "Would any of you go into Korea and say “Hey you have to change your culture to a biblical culture (which is mostly Western) or your worship is not of God.” What about Africa where the Gospel has been preached and they still paint their faces and perfrom dance ceremonies for the Lord? Would you label that wrong? Would you say it does not belong in God’s house? "

I'd also ask "What about Somoa where they where Somain clothing still do their chants but they glorify God." What often seems to happen in responses others give to differing cultures is seen in the statement “the way I worship is correct and other cultures need to either conform or will be written off as wrong”. That is sin, IMHO---for how is that Revelation 5:9 and Rev 7:9

If some were to become world missionaries you would have a rough time because you couldn’t draw the line between culture and essentials.

[/QUOTE]

This is precious. i have been in the same frame of mind.....It's desperately needed. We are so fractured.

I've been meditating on this video and the world-wide unity it represents of brothers in Christ (and sisters) coming together and worshiping:

How Great Is Our God (World Edition) [feat. Chris Tomlin] - YouTube

and a little-known ministry that a CF brother has been involved in...he is the one singing on this video:

The Invitation - YouTube

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

This is precious. i have been in the same frame of mind.....It's desperately needed. We are so fractured.
[/QUOTE]Very fractured, indeed...

I've been meditating on this video and the world-wide unity it represents of brothers in Christ (and sisters) coming together and worshiping:

How Great Is Our God (World Edition) [feat. Chris Tomlin] - YouTube

and a little-known ministry that a CF brother has been involved in...he is the one singing on this video:

The Invitation - YouTube
Cool videos and thanks for sharing:)

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I don't know what they talk about in semanaries because I haven't been, but if you're talking about the discussions around here, for example, we're in a theology forum, and you bring up people like Douglass, Tubman and Truth who simply aren't very much associated with theology.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I don't know what they talk about in semanaries because I haven't been
Understandable..
but if you're talking about the discussions around here, for example, we're in a theology forum, and you bring up people like Douglass, Tubman and Truth who simply aren't very much associated with theology.

Anyone aware of who Douglass, Tubman and Truth (as are those within Black communities predominately) know where they were more than associated with theology - and that is the case that too many are woefully and simply too unaware of what they have to say...or said.

You can't talk on groups such as the Lutherans or the Anabaptists in their history - and yet leave out other groups in the discussion such as people associated with Fredrick Douglass - who noted how reading the Bible made him realize the importance of being educated....and when he saw the "Christianity" supported by his owners/their church that said he was meant to be their slave and had no right to question, the Christianity he read about in scripture was radically different ( as discussed here and here and here ...or A Narrative on the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave , seeing how Douglass felt that American Christianity practiced in the South is/was not authentic Christianity...and he went even further to say that in fact, it is another religion altogether ..as discussed here /here ).

And to note, Frederick Douglass vigorously challenged stereotypical / traditional religion- particularly slave-oriented Euro-Christianity as espoused & practiced by white racists. In fact- Douglass was an African Methodist Episcopal Zion (AME Zion) Church clergyman, who stated that "God is our common Father and Creator" - "the Most High, who is ever the God of the oppressed..."

And of course there are these Douglass quotes: 'I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs.' [Which is same vein as what the old folks use to always say- 'God helps those that help themselves' & 'If you make one step God will take 2 extra steps for you'.] One excellent read on the issue is 'Frederick Douglass: A Precursor to Liberation Theology." and Frederick Douglass and Herman Melville: Essays in Relation: Essays in Relation - Political Theology - as well as examining the many works of Douglass. Others have labeled Douglass a liberation thinker/theologian not because he constructed a systemic theology, but because in his speeches, writings and actions he hit upon parallel patterns of thought of liberation theology. Additionally, it was the case that Douglass lived his theology....for his life was a prime example of what the oppressed can do to gain and secure freedom as he was a carefully considered and philosophically (and theologically) sound program of argument and action for emancipation. It was historically the case that Douglass formulated the idea that liberation could not be left to chance or 'miracle'- it was something that his oppressed people must strive for - for themselves.

There's also the groups of believers associated with people like abolitionists - such as Harriet Tubman, who led hundreds of slaves in the 1800′s to freedom on the underground railroad (gaining her the nickname "Moses" due to how her work was associated with the Exodus account). She also preached the gospel to them. ...and her work was instrumental not only for sharing God's heart on slaves - but on women as well....more discussed in Harriet Tubman: The Road to Freedom. Her work was VERY much in the spirit of the OT when it came to dealing with the oppression of slavery and seeking to help others get to freedom instead of justifying a theological system that said it was to be accepted.. That will ALWAYS be connected to theological concerns....

Another is Sojourner Truth. From what I remember, although she traveled freely to numerous churches speaking on God's desire for abolition of slavery (as she was a slave who experienced the lack of education many others did due to the way churches were set up to not allow others to know things fully).....she later became involved with the popular Spiritualism religious movement of the time, through a group called the Progressive Friends, an offshoot of the Quakers. As they were very mystically oriented and felt one could connect with the Lord in a myriad of places - plus having a traveling mindset - it wasn't hard for Sojourner to often connect with the Quaker world (and is significant in light of the Reformation of American Quakerism, 1748-1783 and other dynamics dealing with the evolution of Historic Protestant groups like the Quakers in their development - be it with Levi Coffin in aiding with change of focus to helping the slaves and how that interconnected with the beginnings of things such as with George Fox and the Quakers coming to mind as well because of their simplicity with community being the focus). She worked often with activist Quakers, some of them helping her make an official complaint in court about how her son was once severely harmed by being sold into slavery.

[/QUOTE]

One thing they ALL had in common was that they were within the realm known as Public Theology (or Public Theologians) - theologians whose ministry had a social focus on issues pertaining to society (as Dr. Martin Luther King was). Public theology is concerned with how the Christian faith addresses matters in society at large. It is concerned with the “public relevance” of Christian beliefs and doctrines. Public theology assumes that Christian engagement in the major issues of society requires an intellectual as well as a practical grounding. It therefore seeks to provide academic rigor to the conception of public theology. Moreover, Public theology assumes that it is relevant for all humanity, not just Christians.

There's really no way of saying at any point that others such as Harriet Tubman, Fredrick Douglass and Sojourner Truth among others were NOT associated with theology. That's the dynamic of not understanding how theology in Black culture was both viewed and valued... ..and this IS a theology forum and it is because of that fact that such individuals are a part of the conversation for others since theology impacts the practical as well as the spiritual (as discussed elsewhere in http://www.christianforums.com/t7653226/ )

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
To some extent re: the history of this and the US, I think it's impossible to completely divorce this phenomenon from its larger meaning, ie the acculturation of "the other" using Christianity and religious conversion as the form to do so with the included aim to meet political and economic "ends".
What you note also has to deal with interpretation....and how often that seems to play into issues with economics being the driving force behind the theological stances others took, as well as the ways others deem people to be outside Christianity as they see it once they no longer fit with the economic ends.

In example, we see how the The Exodus in American History and Culture had PROUFOUNDLY different impacts on differing groups reading them​

For you had one side reading the book in gaining inspiration (and justification) against tyranny of the British Empire when it came to the American Revolution (as they saw it) while the American Black slaves saw the Exodus as a book proclaiming God's Freedom and a book inspiring them to flee from enslavement - with many slave masters condemning them even as they praised Exodus in their support for the American Revolution when they prided themselves as patriots. And although Exodus had applications that applied to both groups, one group would tend to deny the other the right of interpretation if it went against their interests. Kenneth Chelst, a distinguished academic, and a wide-ranging and profound scholar of Jewish thought has produced a compelling /original study on the issue that blessed me a lot - entitled Exodus and Emancipation: Biblical and African-American Slavery ( more here, here and here/here).​

This is something that I don't think we can avoid if being honest on the history of how groups tended to develop into their own entities. ...we see the same thing with others who are hard to classify - people coming to mind being others like Nat Turner.​

Nat Turner: A Troublesome Property. America's Spartakus.
There's a reason Nat Turner's theology was the way it was (more here, here and here/here/here)....Numerous black slave rebellions and insurrections took place in North America during the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. There is documentary evidence of more than 250 uprisings or attempted uprisings involving 10 or more slaves. Three of the best known in the United States during the nineteenth century are the revolts by Gabriel Prosser in Virginia in 1800, Denmark Vesey in Charleston, South Carolina in 1822, and Nat Turner in Southampton County, Virginia, in 1831. If studying African-American History, one will quiclly recall many of the Slave Revolts that often happened—-with ones like the Nat Turner slave rebellon being amongst the most famous since he was trying to get freedom at all costs…and led a revolt in Virginia on August 21, 1831 that resulted in 56 deaths among their victims, the largest number of white fatalities to occur in one uprising in the antebellum southern United States. And there were others as well - some done by white men who wanted to help the blacks get freedom at all costs....like John Brown's rebellion and the deaths he caused. White abolitionist John Brown had already fought against pro-slavery forces in Kansas for several years when he decided to lead a raid on Harpers Ferry, Virginia (West Virginia was not yet a state). And this raid was a joint attack by former slaves, freed blacks, and white men who had corresponded with slaves on plantations in order to form a general uprising among slaves. It almost succeeded, had it not been for Brown's delay, and hundreds of slaves left their plantations to join Brown's force, and others left their plantations to join Brown in an escape to the mountains. Eventually, due to a tactical error by Brown, their force was quelled. Nonetheless, but directly following this, slave disobedience and the number of runaways increased markedly in Virginia.

Some would say that he AND others like him were “terrorists”—and yet, one can understand how he arrived at that point after seeing attrocities like the raping of their families, kidnapping, ruthless whippings and many other evils. But you rarely - if ever - hear of their schools of theology discussed....as if they're not even in the discussion for Protestant worldviews that have developed and worth seeing where they belonged...

I do think we have to factor in the culture factor - for ethnicity and culture have often led to SIGNIFICANT gaps in understanding the ways that groups operate and engage with one another.....Protestant culture for Blacks being radically different many times from how Caucasians/Whites lived it out....and what's seen to be normative in one group being far from how other groups see it...

Within the Black Church, the founder of Wesleyan thought ( John Wesley ) has always been one of the most celebrated individuals...and to be more specific, where he's celebrated is within the one of the branches within Methodism that's connected with holiness denominations holding to the teachings of John Wesley. Probably one of the greatest reasons he's celebrated is due to his fighting against slavery in an era when many either remained silent or took no action when disliking the fact that slavery existed. Alongside that reason for why many blacks love him is the other reason of how involved he was in social justice/reform movements, be it with reforming the ways prisons operated or reforming the way that child labor laws operated.

Of course, for those churches within the Holiness Movement associated with John Wesley, it has been the case that there has often been what can be seen as legalism on some things. Others disagree, especially as it comes to the issue of cultural concessions...especially in the realm of Hip Hop (i.e. Rap, MCeeing, Graffiti, Dancing, Spoken Word/Poetry, etc) and many other things connected to /Urban culture.

Because of this, many in the Black church have been in civil war on a host of issues...and the Holiness churches have been one of the main ones leading the way - in many respects similar to previous movements in the Early Church that were advocating for separation from what was deemed "worldliness" and vain expressions (even though those movements would've been within Eastern Christianity and Non-Protestant thought)....and their struggle was always one that focused primarily on ECONOMICS while others in white circles of Methodist thought focused on the spiritual more so from what our own personal choices mean.

For a good review on the issue, one may wish to consider going online and looking up an article under the name of "The Dunamis Word - What Does 21st Century Holiness Look Like?" . The article is made by a man named Pastor Harvey Burnett. He's a wonderful man of God whom I've always loved talking with. For he's one whom I used to blog with years ago on another site....and he's also very knowledgable of many of the backgrounds concerning the Black Church as well as Church History in general.

To see the ways the Methodist movement impacted the Black Church has always been fascinating to me ......and with the classification of it, I do wonder why it seems to be often neglected.

I shared this with another recently as it concerns the history behind the Black Church - as history of the Black Church (more shared on it in #229 - as well as the history of blacks in the OT/NT in #14 /#16 ) - is a multifaceted reality and not something that's in any way monolithic....especially when considering the dynamic of intercultural connections and splicing of cultures:
To me, I always find it amazing when going back and considering the extensive amount of ways that the slaves, in their example, were so in line with the Spirit of how things were done in the Early Church /Ancient Faith.....and what the prophets of the OT/NT preached on when it came to suffering for the Lord/righteousness and looking unto Him for deliverance. The book An Unbroken Circle: Linking Ancient African Christianity to the African-American Experience (more here) is one of the best historical reads present (if not the best) which helps to break that down - by Fr Moses Berry ( curator of the Ozarks Afro-American Heritage Museum and rector of Theotokos “Unexpected Joy” Orthodox Church in Ask Grove, Missouri).

Upon its publication in 1997, An Unbroken Circle: Linking Ancient African Christianity to the African-American Experience, broke new ground in Orthodox writing. And many people have found this book to be an invaluable resource, both for personal growth and for Orthodox outreach as well as general understanding of the ways the Body of Christ came together....

But outside of seeing the ways that Blacks were connected to Eastern Christianity, within American culture it often seemed that Black churches had a very distinct categorization from other groups when it came to the ways they lived out their own faith.

Why I Sing Amazing Grace: The African-American Worship ExperIENCE

The History of The Black Church - The Beginning

quinn-chapel-01jpg-f0febe4063c23fe4.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Is there a reason why the Greeks were not educated, by the way? Was it similar to reasons behind why blacks were not educated in the U.S and in other countries by those in power (even when those in power claimed Christ)?

Upvote 0