Church seminar in Colorado teaches people to be "anti-racist" (not just "not racist")

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Church seminar in Colorado teaches people to be "anti-racist" (not just "not racist")
On a crisp Saturday morning in Boulder, 50 people, most of whom were white, streamed into the basement of a tony downtown church to spend three hours immersed in the history of racism in America, a lesson that included uncomfortable truths, disturbing images and a belief that knowledge, ever powerful, could lead to change.

Outside, it was one of those blustery but sunny autumn days that draw people to Chautauqua Park for one more snow-free hike, or out to the Saturday farmers' market for local honey and heirloom squash. It wasn’t a bad day to run errands or sit on the sidelines at your kid's soccer game.
[Regan Byrd] recited a defense used by people who say racism is no longer a problem: "There were some bad people who did bad things, and we're past that and we’re over that." History classes in school might cover slavery, the Civil War, Reconstruction and the Civil Rights era. But they skip the efforts to create second-class systems that persist today, she said, and that's just the start of systemic racism.

"Understanding history is critical to understanding oppressive systems," Byrd said. "Most of us are not even 10% into understanding the history of these systems."

Individual and explicit acts of racism are good at grabbing the attention of the public and the body politic. In November, following an FBI report that 123 hate crimes were reported in Colorado in 2018 (an increase of 16%), Colorado Attorney General Phil Weiser announced the formation of a coalition to fight hate crimes in the state.

Implicit, unconscious bias and systemic racism — the kind of racism that affects housing, employment, schools and the justice system — can be harder to see or quantify, but they're no less a part of the public conversation.

• Informative
Reactions: Hank77

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It’s held in a church, but no mention of the gospel or what scripture has to say.

Kind of like Wednesday night Bingo?

Disappointing.

Well, what does the gospel or Scripture have to say about racism in America?

Plenty of disappointment to go around, methinks.

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Well, what does the gospel or Scripture have to say about racism in America?

Plenty of disappointment to go around, methinks.
God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.
— Genesis 1:27

and He made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined their appointed times and the boundaries of their habitation,
— Acts 17:26

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
— Galatians 3:28

“Behold, My Servant, whom I uphold;
My chosen one in whom My soul delights.
I have put My Spirit upon Him;
He will bring forth justice to the nations.
— Isaiah 42:1

Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you.
— Ephesians 4:32

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I like this.

But a lot of people seem to think it stops with Jews and Greeks.
It helps to understand the feelings of Jews towards Gentiles at that time.

• Winner
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
As much as it is nice to wax poetic on the meanings of scripture, it is more important to keep the topic devoted to the article discussing the work being done on antiracism in Colorado and how we might learn from it as we deal with the continued white supremacy seen in America today.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
As much as it is nice to wax poetic on the meanings of scripture, it is more important to keep the topic devoted to the article discussing the work being done on antiracism in Colorado and how we might learn from it as we deal with the continued white supremacy seen in America today.
The fact that in a church they failed to address it from a biblical point of view is relevant. I would think that as a Christian you’d agree.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Stay on-topic.
I am. I disagree with the method of that church because it’s not addressing the sin issue of so-called racism. It’s a heart issue that can only adequately be addressed by the gospel.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I am. I disagree with the method of that church because it’s not addressing the sin issue of so-called racism. It’s a heart issue that can only adequately be addressed by the gospel.
What tools of antiracism do you consider to be most effective? Racism is not simply a sin, the fact that you are talking about personal moral failings speaks to the very problem this seminar seeks to tackle, it's not just about the moral actions of individuals that are at issue.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
What tools of antiracism do you consider to be most effective? Racism is not simply a sin, the fact that you are talking about personal moral failings speaks to the very problem this seminar seeks to tackle, it's not just about the moral actions of individuals that are at issue.
There’s the “I want to feel good about myself by even being at this seminar” aspect. But even that’s a moral failing. And the gospel deals with that.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
There’s the “I want to feel good about myself by even being at this seminar” aspect. But even that’s a moral failing. And the gospel deals with that.
You did not answer my question or explain what is meant by "I want to feel good about myself by even being at this seminar." What specifically at the seminar do you have a problem? You have not explained anything. Nor do you discuss anything about the Gospel, which this topic is not about, so if you will, please stop trying to change the subject.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
You did not answer my question or explain what is meant by "I want to feel good about myself by even being at this seminar." What specifically at the seminar do you have a problem? You have not explained anything. Nor do you discuss anything about the Gospel, which this topic is not about, so if you will, please stop trying to change the subject.
In the OP you said....nothing. So I read the article and gave feedback.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
What tools of antiracism do you consider to be most effective?
Scripture doesn’t recognize race. It does recognize ethnicity as being from God. So if you want a tool to help with hate towards other ethnicities, then there’s the gospel.

Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Scripture doesn’t recognize race. It does recognize ethnicity as being from God. So if you want a tool to help with hate towards other ethnicities, then there’s the gospel.

How does that address institutional racism and its vestiges?

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
A bunch of white liberals mouthing virtue signaling mea culpas will do nothing to combat actual racism.
You know, people do realize that pointing fingers at "virtue signaling" is itself virtue signaling.

But, of course, going one level deeper, like I'm doing, is not. :blush:

Upvote 0