Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I am looking for advice and positive insight on seeking out a church. I am not looking to insult any denominations or to spark any kind of debate - I just want thought and outside insights on what me and my wife are experiencing in our search for a church home.

I have been a Baptist for all of my life, specifically in Southern Baptist churches. I have never considered my denomination to be THE denomination and have never given much heed to any Baptist I know who has taught or preached it. I have noticed, through my own experiences, that Baptists in churches I have attended tend to lean more towards the 'elitism' attitude. I am meaning that they all seem to look at themselves at well educated and tend to fellowship only with others they consider such. Granted, I have always been a member of very prominent churches in the community so that probably has a bit to do with it.

I spoke with one of my Baptist pastors once about a call to the ministry and he pretty much told me that I needed no less than 4 years of college/university along with a secular Masters, and THEN 2-4 additional years at a Southern Baptist seminary before I even thought about working seriously in the ministry. This seemed to sum up the congregational attitude on who was 'in' and who wasn't. It was very discouraging.

I will say that I have always been 'welcomed' at the Baptist churches I have attended but always end up feeling left out when it comes to the fellowship aspect. My house isn't as big, my job isn't as prestigious, etc. This is how I and my wife were always made to feel.

So my wife and I have started looking for other churches. So, with me at age 32 now we decided to start looking outside of the denomination we grew up in.

I had heard a lot about a church in our area that was just growing at a fantastic rate and lots of people were talking about it. I am not going to name this church but it seemed like something was going on there. The pastor got there and they had 36 members and in just a matter of years they had built a 1200 seat auditorium and were running multiple services through it. I know this doesn't classify as a MEGA mega-church but in this rural area of Georgia it does. I had heard a lot of positive stuff about it from people outside my church and I had heard a bit of negative gossip about it from inside my church.

Well, I went to check it out this past Sunday and I just really don't know what to think. I plan to go back and give it a few more Sundays but some things just didn't seem right. That is what I am asking advice over really. So far, their beliefs seem to be biblically sound but watching the service just seemed like I was watching a professional production by real professional actors. The music minister was dancing all over the place and I swear he must have inherited Elvis's hips. The pastor's sermon was good but he cried at least 3 times during the sermon (without tears I might add - I was on the 3rd row) and screamed the rest of the time. It was very 'showey' and really felt like it was more an act than a sermon. I can't say if it was authentic, which is why I plan to go back a couple more times.

I can say that at the altar call there were at least 20-30 people who went down to accept Christ and the sinners prayer was authentic. They have also grown so fast in a very rural area (I mean this church is a monster building in the middle of the backwoods).

So the question is, can a church (or pastor) who is maybe putting on a bit of a show draw a crowd such as he has - would God bless it? Is a large crowd evidence of God's blessing upon a congregation?

What is the difference? A true sinners prayer was prayed and 20-30 people were saved - praise God for that.

If it is more of a show then anything else will there be consequences later?

Maybe this is all a shock to my system with the difference in worship styles (which isn't all that different - just on a grander more dramatic scale) but I would really appreciate any insight anyone might have on this.

Beautiful Fireball

Tomorrow is another day
Apr 30, 2006
✟30,245.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
My opinion is, is if your intuition or gut is telling you something is off, then it probably is. A lot of those churches are showy and it is to draw people in. That is not a bad thing, but sometimes it seems that their main goal is just to get members, and not help people to develop a deeper relationship with Christ. If every sermon is about an altar call where is the real meat? It all seems really superficial to me. I attended a church of about 1500 members for quite a while, and loved it, it wasn't showy or anything.

I would say give it a couple more Sundays and see if you still feel the same. Pray about it, and ask the Holy Spirit to give you a discerning spirit in the matter.

Upvote 0

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you think something is "off" at this church, I would encourage you to stop going there. Clearly, it is not the right church for you. You are not going to be able to relax and enjoy the worship or learn from a pastor you think is putting on a show.

Get on with your search for your church.

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Elitism knows no boundaries. ;)

So the question is, can a church (or pastor) who is maybe putting on a bit of a show draw a crowd such as he has - would God bless it? Is a large crowd evidence of God's blessing upon a congregation?
God will always work in earnest individuals, and He will work at keeping the pastor in line, both as a believer and as a leader. But you sound as though you already see this as a bad match, so don't try to convince yourself you should like it.

They call this kind of church seeker-friendly... which can sometimes be a derogatory term, even though the intent is good. These churches do a lot toward people's childhood perception of churches. But if the foundation is sand, then you know where it's headed.

On a practical level, it makes me nervous that the growth has inflated through fervor. If the excitement is empty, people are probably already starting to feel that something is missing. Statistically, many churches that expand their buildings consequently find a loss in membership.

http://www.vexen.co.uk/religion/rib.html

From what you describe, it sounds like the pastor is not trusting God to provide for the church's needs, and is trying to drum up excitement to make sure the mortgage gets paid.

If this is true, then eventually people will see through his insincerity, tire of his glossiness, and the church will be left with the bill from the party.

If your family wants badly to attend, ask an elder if you can see the budget. Non-profit organizations are expected to have an open policy for people who consider giving to the organization.

They might be offended, or resist, but don't let them give you a religious answer to a practical question. If they refuse, I think you will have your answer.

A non-profit corporation should have a board of directors that answers to the IRS and the state's requirements for corporations... which can include good-faith disclosure of finances.
http://www.irs.gov/charities/article/0,,id=96430,00.html
In general, what public disclosure requirements apply to tax-exempt organizations?

In general, exempt organizations must make available for public inspection certain annual returns and applications for exemption, and must provide copies of such returns and applications to individuals who request them. Copies usually must be provided immediately in the case of in-person requests, and within 30 days in the case of written requests. The tax-exempt organization may charge a reasonable copying fee plus actual postage, if any.

My opinion is, is if your intuition or gut is telling you something is off, then it probably is.
:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

hsilgne

Frustrated in Hooterville.
Feb 25, 2005
Canada
✟39,329.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Read your bible as much as possible and pray. Then pray some more and then follow that up with more prayer.:)

Trust in Christ and He will lead you.

Have you considered the local Catholic parish?

Had to say it. :wave:

God Bless You and Your family as you seek to please Christ.

Upvote 0

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Hey SCJ,

We are now in the "perilous times", and there are many "seducing spirits" around pushing their "doctrine of demons".

These days it has become extremely hard to find a good church anywhere in the wester world.

The high-flying, mega church evangelists that are around these days are very suspicious.

Discernment is the saviour of your choice and decision. If they don't marry up with HIS WORD, then avoid it.

The lack of FAITH DRIVEN churches are being overtaken by PURPOSE DRIVEN churches.

Upvote 0

dodolah

May 11, 2006
✟8,074.00
Faith
Pentecostal
As far as being showy.. i don't think there is a problem with it. Just like he said, the sinner's prayers are authentic and a lot of people are being saved.

In matthew 3. John the Baptist preach to the wilderness of Judea.
The greek verb 'khrusswn' is used. Which means 'Yell or Scream'

John the baptist way of preaching is showy and attract a lot of attention.
Is that mean John the baptist is shadowy and suspicious?
When the Holy ark finally arrived at Jerusalem, David dance due to his overjoy. In fact, many people said that he dances like crazy.
Is that mean, David is shadowy?

Some people preach quiet, some Cried, Some Scream..
That's the beauty of the body of Christ.
Everybody is different.
Just because you are quiet when you worship the Lord, it doesn't mean that everybody has to worship God the same way.

Just the fact that the church becomes a mega church does not justify people to brand it as heathen.

So what if they are successful? are they biblical? are they blessed?
Are they going according to what Jesus taught?
If the answer is yes.. then Just Shut up! and stop Criticizing!
(This is not for you SCJ.. at least, you still give them a benefit of the doubt)

But, i got to agree to everybody else.
If you feel not ready or you feel 'weird' attending that kind of
church than i don't think you should force yourself to attend.
I also agree about the spirit of discernment.
I think it is highly crucial in this era.
Just as an addition, it doesn't take a loud person to be deceptive.
Some quiet people can also be deceptive one.
This applies to church also.

Thanks
God Bless you all.
PS: I'm sorry if i offend anybody here.

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
As far as being showy.. i don't think there is a problem with it.
People seem to start their ministries according to their passions, issues they want to right and balance. If this pastor grew up loving God but frustrated with the dullness of his parents' church, he will likely value showiness, seeing it as a solution to an existing problem. If ... not necessarily true, but very possible that he's correcting and finding solutions.

Upvote 0