Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
What do you do if it seems like your church is being run like a business, does that mean the wolves have got in and you need to run?

I was given this 'gift' by a church I attend of a online video library but its asking me if I am part of the staff of this organization or a CEO etc.Do churches have CEOs. I thought they had ministers, teachers, evangelists and prophets, not CEOs, admins, and employees.

Also it asked me what my age, marital status and gender was. I don't know if later I have to pay for this 'gift' or someones just spent thousands of dollars on these resources so we can run our church like a business. Is this a red flag? It didn't say anything about faith or even if it had any Bibles :-(

• Agree
Reactions: DennisTate

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I thought, what, do I have to type something as 'feedback' so I was real honest. I'm not grateful when I hadn't even asked for what I don't even know whats in it...I mean, when its asking me personal details like that, I'm not grateful. Gifts ought to be given freely. I don't ask for peoples marital status and gender or whether they are staff and what role they have when issuing a library book. oy.

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
It sounds like the same media site I was given a "gift" to as well. Why are you so suspicious of everything people say and do? My church purchased a membership for all congregants. It's fine. It's a gift. No suspicion necessary.

Churches are non-profits. They have to be run like a non-profit - and yes, that is business. They have to have employees who maintain the building and clean it, and pay the pastor and other employees. Churches are run by boards and they hire the people who work there. That way, the pastor is not given full authority over everything and makes them accountable as well.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
cant people just meet in each others homes, I'm really tired of this whole church 'business' thing where they constantly go on about finances. I don't care if we meet in a field even.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What do you do if it seems like your church is being run like a business, does that mean the wolves have got in and you need to run?

I was given this 'gift' by a church I attend of a online video library but its asking me if I am part of the staff of this organization or a CEO etc.Do churches have CEOs. I thought they had ministers, teachers, evangelists and prophets, not CEOs, admins, and employees.

Also it asked me what my age, marital status and gender was. I don't know if later I have to pay for this 'gift' or someones just spent thousands of dollars on these resources so we can run our church like a business. Is this a red flag? It didn't say anything about faith or even if it had any Bibles :-(
An MBA and its methods are no substitute for the work of the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TurtleAnne

Dec 25, 2016
Michigan U.S.
✟20,919.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is not a spiritual turn off for me, personally, if a church utilizes some business-like organization. It seems like since so many people do all of their research online, favoring this method heavily over forming their own first impression in person, that many churches are trying to adapt with media that can reach more people. The seeming intention stands out more to me, than the methods, in most cases so far. If it seems that their intention is to reach as many people with the Gospel as possible, then I don't personally fault them for using some common business methods to do so.

What is more of a spiritual turn off to me are warning signs that church leadership is prioritizing personal profit over spreading the Gospel. There was a church that I was considering recently, so like many others I first began by researching them online. I found that their pastors were offering classes at a school they created, where in exchange for significant monetary sums they would teach people how to be better Christians, in essence. To me this was a red flag of corruption, and so I moved along.

Personally I would prefer a church where there is a more straightforward message and mission, and a more clear-cut sense of fellowship and supporting. For example a church in which it is abundantly clear that the primary mission is to spread the Gospel and to support each other in our faith, and where if the church and its leaders have needs that are not being met with the offerings, then there is an open conversation, integrity and respect, between leadership and the congregation, about those needs, why they are important and what is needed to meet those needs.

• Winner
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Ok I raised a concern by emailing the youth pastor who sent me the email offering this 'gift' as done some research, if people sign up, they (the church leaders) get offered a free apple tv.

its called 'rightnow media' and it keeps bugging me to accept their gift.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Are charities not charities because they're also structured like businesses?

Many congregations have de facto boards of directors, CEO's, CFO's, etc. It's an efficient way to structure an organization and it shouldn't say anything as to the congregation's religious fidelity. I'm sure many people will take it that way anyway but it's neither good nor bad; it's just efficient, that's all.

• Agree
Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
its only efficient for the head, who doesn't seem to be Jesus the way its being taken over. Had trouble with this youth pastor before. He's new to the role.
A pity...

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
most of the material on there is not relevant either (its american based, so all their ministries are not going to be local to us) plus I don't know who's got the time to watch videos all day. says its the 'netflix' of christian tv. Well. We just had a christian tv channel start broadcasting free to air here, why do we need another one? That someone has to pay? That's not even local.

Anyway. again. arrrgh. Did he just sign up for the free apple tv thats being offered.
according to this

Biblical Discipleship vs. RightNow Media | Christian Research Service

Upvote 0