Epsom
✟131,109.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Our church is holding their yearly summer picnic next week. I am the one responsible for organising it. This is my first time organising a church event.
What do you provide at a church picnic? What games do you play? How do you make it fun for all guests? So far the only things I have come up with are fruitcake and bowls of potato crisps for people to eat.
Is it a good idea to serve nibbles and appetisers or not? I am at a loss for ideas. Seriously. I have some bottles of water for people to sip at the picnic too.
Thank you.

• Prayers
Reactions: vinsight4u

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Our church is holding their yearly summer picnic next week. I am the one responsible for organising it. This is my first time organising a church event.
What do you provide at a church picnic? What games do you play? How do you make it fun for all guests? So far the only things I have come up with are fruitcake and bowls of potato crisps for people to eat.
Is it a good idea to serve nibbles and appetisers or not? I am at a loss for ideas. Seriously. I have some bottles of water for people to sip at the picnic too.
Thank you.
First thing you do is get help.

Upvote 0

Theophilus2019

Jun 25, 2019
Surrey
✟54,927.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It sounds like your job is only to publicise it and set the time and place. Get people to bring their own food. Games tend to happen spontaneously if a couple of people bring a ball or frisbees. Leave people to eat and talk. Most people don’t like excessive organisation or planned games. We have church picnics regularly in the local park a few minutes walk from church. People generally just flop on the ground, eat and chat. Let people do their own thing. I hope the weathers good.

Upvote 0

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I would have some activities in mind as a backup plan in case you need them. But I wouldn't force it on anyone too much. Something for the kids mostly. The adults will like to just relax and do nothing much (except perhaps some younger parents), but the kids may get restless after eating.

If it's not too late in the planning to announce it, something like water balloons is very cheap and keeps kids occupied for awhile. Of course you'll need to let the parents know to bring extra clothes and towels before then, and someone to supervise and make sure no balloons are thrown at the food area. ^_^ All you would need is packs of balloons and a hose with a balloon attachment and then let the kids fill their own.

Other than that, just bringing some balls to kick around works well and kids will come up with their own games with them I'm sure.

I think, however, you definitely need to start assigning people to specific parts of the event. Get people to make or bring the food (I guess it's too late to make it a potluck?), get someone who will be willing to play with or supervise the kids if needed, get people to set up tables and chairs, etc. You really don't need to do much yourself except, as you said, organise it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums