United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hey Para,

I think the word you're looking for is speciesism. Though similar, using the word racism only confuses people who don't know any better.

Speciesism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Speciesism (also referred to as human supremacism) involves the assignment of different values, rights, or special consideration to individuals solely on the basis of their species membership. The term is mostly used by animal rights advocates, who argue that speciesism is a prejudice similar to racism or sexism, in that the treatment of individuals is predicated on group membership and morally irrelevant physical differences. The argument is that species membership has no moral significance.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speciesism#cite_note-2

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Hey Para,

I think the word you're looking for is speciesism. Though similar, using the word racism only confuses people who don't know any better.

Speciesism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Speciesism (also referred to as human supremacism) involves the assignment of different values, rights, or special consideration to individuals solely on the basis of their species membership. The term is mostly used by animal rights advocates, who argue that speciesism is a prejudice similar to racism or sexism, in that the treatment of individuals is predicated on group membership and morally irrelevant physical differences. The argument is that species membership has no moral significance.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speciesism#cite_note-2

I just used racism to get the power of the point across. If I said speciesism it might be dismissed more easily.

Upvote 0

Belk

Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟895,643.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
"Racism". It doesn't mean what you think it means. Caring about humans simply because they are humans is a mark of honor, not of shame, and Christians wear it proudly. The sanctity of innocent life is by no means "immoral".

So when did we go from "The sanctity of life" to "The sanctity of innocent life"? Why does being innocent suddenly make their life sacred?

Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟551,783.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It doesn't diminish in any way. It is a simple miss-categorization. Just like sexism, or ageism aren't any better or less offensive or more offensive than racism. Just different forms of discrimination. If you called ageism racism, it wouldn't change anything other than the word used to describe it. It would still be a form of discrimination.

I can see why you would use the term racism instead of speciesism in this case(or in any case, its just a weird word) especially when dealing with people who believe they were given dominion over the fish of the sea and the birds of the sky and every creeping thing that creepeth on the earth.;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paradoxum

Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

He started it. :p

It doesn't diminish in any way. It is a simple miss-categorization. Just like sexism, or ageism aren't any better or less offensive or more offensive than racism. Just different forms of discrimination. If you called ageism racism, it wouldn't change anything other than the word used to describe it. It would still be a form of discrimination.

I can see why you would use the term racism instead of speciesism in this case(or in any case, its just a weird word) especially when dealing with people who believe they were given dominion over the fish of the sea and the birds of the sky and every creeping thing that creepeth on the earth.;)

Well that sort of was my thinking. If you use the word speciesism, it's easier just to dismiss animals as of intrinsic less worth, so they don't matter. Speciesism isn't a strong word to those that don't care in the first place.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟551,783.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
He started it. :p

Well that sort of was my thinking. If you use the word speciesism, it's easier just to dismiss animals as of intrinsic less worth, so they don't matter. Speciesism isn't a strong word to those that don't care in the first place.

Agreed:)

Upvote 0

craigerNY

I bring nothing to the table
Feb 28, 2007
Upstate NY
✟48,788.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Why does that diminish it? It's basically the same thing, so there's nothing wrong with using it like that.

Are either of you vegan?

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Ummm yeah, Satan is not pro-life. Satan is pro-abortion because abortion is intrinsically evil and Satan loves all things that are evil. The more evil, the better for Satan.

Why would you think abortion is evil?

Are either of you vegan?

Nope. I didn't say there isn't a difference between animals, but that it isn't the physical differences that is important.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

craigerNY

I bring nothing to the table
Feb 28, 2007
Upstate NY
✟48,788.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
No, I don't. I know what you are trying to do, but it doesn't follow.

You said that one caring for humans simply because they are human is racist. Your words, not mine. Then later you make an admission that it was simply for dramatic effect.

You diminish what it means to charge one with racism.

Upvote 0

Cjwinnit

Advocatus Diaboli (Retired)
Jun 28, 2004
England.
✟18,928.00
Faith
Anglican
You said that one caring for humans simply because they are human is racist. Your words, not mine. Then later you make an admission that it was simply for dramatic effect.

You diminish what it means to charge one with racism.

That's sooo racist!!

Upvote 0