Church of England staring at oblivion as just 2% of young Britons say they identify with it

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Frankly, I didn't find either of the major parties in the last election to be presenting much of a Christian agenda. I found Labor's traditional concern for the poor and marginalised slightly more in line with the values of the reign of God.

The idea that Christians might align neatly with one party or the other doesn't really do justice to either the gospel or the breadth and diversity of the genuinely devout Christian community.
If you are after a social service, the Labor party is the go-to group. That's if you are willing to put up with the antiChrist, pro abortion, pro homosexual, anti white heterosexual male, PC dominated termination of civil liberties. Me, no thanks. The government should not be expected to be "Christian". We should hope and pray that the Church should be free to preach the gospel. That is under real threat in this nation. When the Bible is called "hate speech" by some influential people, you know there is a storm brewing.

Upvote 0

creslaw

Site Supporter
Oct 20, 2015
✟171,835.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, we are not "there" yet. It was evidence of what God can do. I was very much reminded of Gough Whitlam's overthrow in 1975. That was prefaced by much prayer. Unfortunately it became "business as usual" a few years later. The church has to be shaken and the false removed. Some estimates are that 95% of church attenders are not born again. It varies, of course, but the gospel preached is so shallow that its hardly surprising.
The CoE is split in Australia between evangelical Christians who follow a Biblical form of Christianity, and liberal Christians who increasingly align with secular values and the Left wing agenda.

Yes, the Church has to be shaken, and the shaking may be just to sift out those who are not committed to the true Gospel, as you said.

Upvote 0

creslaw

Site Supporter
Oct 20, 2015
✟171,835.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you are after a social service, the Labor party is the go-to group. That's if you are willing to put up with the antiChrist, pro abortion, pro homosexual, anti white heterosexual male, PC dominated termination of civil liberties. Me, no thanks. The government should not be expected to be "Christian". We should hope and pray that the Church should be free to preach the gospel. That is under real threat in this nation. When the Bible is called "hate speech" by some influential people, you know there is a storm brewing.
In Australia, Labor represents a hand out; Liberal represents a hand up.

An issue like Israel Folau shows up the division between progressive & traditional Christians. As more of these issues emerge in the public arena, I think we will see the Church divide more clearly into two distinct groups. Many have seen the similarities with the Laodicean church in Rev 3 ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Frankly, I didn't find either of the major parties in the last election to be presenting much of a Christian agenda. I found Labor's traditional concern for the poor and marginalised slightly more in line with the values of the reign of God.
I can’t really speak to these party agendas specifically, not my election, but generally speaking I have the feeling that opposing parties, as far as representative wholes, care very little about the poor and marginalized beyond token support for votes.

The idea that Christians might align neatly with one party or the other doesn't really do justice to either the gospel or the breadth and diversity of the genuinely devout Christian community.
IMO it’s not really about aligning according to your idea of political correctness and personal social welfare concerns anymore; what Christians should now question everywhere is “Which side represents those with the most Godless views and anti-Christian voters?” and oppose it, because that is the real battle-line with the kind of representative agenda that will be pushed to hold that growing number of voters. But, they will appreciate the dedicated party support and bolstered voting from naive Christians who fall for their ruse.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,935.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
IMO it’s not really about aligning according to your idea of political correctness and personal social welfare concerns anymore; what Christians should now question everywhere is “Which side represents those with the most Godless views and anti-Christian voters?” and oppose it, because that is the real battle-line with the kind of representative agenda that will be pushed to hold that growing number of voters. But, they will appreciate the dedicated party support and bolstered voting from naive Christians who fall for their ruse.

Matthew 13:24-30 comes t o mind.

Politically, my approach is to weigh up the policies of the various parties and vote for those which best represent the reign of God. (Not political correctness!) So I look for humane policy on refugees, generous overseas aid, support for those in poverty and with disabilities, responsible care for the environment, and so on.

Whether or not other people who support those policies are atheist or whatever doesn't bother me; good policy is good policy.

Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There are exceptions, of course. But that is in spite of the Anglican hierarchy, not because of it. It seems that 98% of 20 year olds see the Church of England as irrelevant.

To me, this could be a good thing. It should stir God's people to action, praying and fasting and repenting. We've seen an amazing miracle in Australia. A party with an anti Christian agenda was guaranteed election. Except for God. Many Christians got together and prayed and fasted and repented of division over a period of over a year. A Christian is now Prime Minister. The opposition party is still wondering how they could have lost. One day, the Church will cease to be a corporation and become the Body of Christ that God intended it to be. I hope to be alive to see that day and I am doing what I can to bring it to pass. Lord Jesus is returning for a glorious Church.

I don't really know whether a Christian can be a leader in any country nowadays because they will have to, at some stage compromise their beliefs. In political parties, yes but not as a leader. Sorry to be off the topic thread.

I agree the decline in the CoE was not surprising, when I first went to church that was where I attended until I could not reconcile it and the Bible. This was 30 years ago.

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 13:24-30 comes t o mind.

Politically, my approach is to weigh up the policies of the various parties and vote for those which best represent the reign of God. (Not political correctness!) So I look for humane policy on refugees, generous overseas aid, support for those in poverty and with disabilities, responsible care for the environment, and so on.

Whether or not other people who support those policies are atheist or whatever doesn't bother me; good policy is good policy.
Taking the interpretive journey, understanding what the text (Matthew 13:24-30) meant to the original audience, and then determining if there are unique differences in the ‘then and now,’ well, not being comical with God's Word, but Monsanto wasn't around in those days. So, in that sense I see no reason to let the tares smother the good fruit you mention in today's world.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My understanding is that very few Christians now live in areas controlled by Arabs, including Bethlehem. Talmudic Jewish belief is as hostile to Christianity as Islam. Worldly religion is hostile to Christ now as it was during His time on earth. The one thing that unites the world is its hostility to Christ. (Psalm 2). God gets the last laugh. The Kingdoms of the world will be overthrown and replaced with the Kingdom of God.
After what ISIS did to Christians in Iraq and Syria, Israeli Christians recognized their situation in Israel is not as bad. Nazareth has an Arab Christian minority. There are a few Jewish Christian congregations in Israel.

Upvote 0

creslaw

Site Supporter
Oct 20, 2015
✟171,835.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't really know whether a Christian can be a leader in any country nowadays because they will have to, at some stage compromise their beliefs. In political parties, yes but not as a leader. Sorry to be off the topic thread.

I agree the decline in the CoE was not surprising, when I first went to church that was where I attended until I could not reconcile it and the Bible. This was 30 years ago.
In the workplace we are all forced to make compromises but we can still use our influence to bring about change where possible. The government needs to balance welfare against the economy - without a robust economy welfare suffers.

Many programs can look good on the surface but there are often consequences that must be considered. For example, encouraging refugees can sound the Christian thing to do until it becomes clear how many die in the attempt. Orderly processing is slower but safer & more effective in the long term.

Many Anglican clergy in Australia have abandoned the Bible for a social gospel so that people become disillusioned as you did - they either leave or look for a church that embraces the whole Gospel.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The following looks like it should be from the Babylon Bee but instead has it's media source in the BBC.

‘God Is A Tourist Attraction’ Says Baby-Boomer Bishop

Bishop delivers sermon from helter-skelter

It seems more and more to me as I enter old age that perhaps the best way I can be ecumenical is to grieve with equal generosity that which was lovely, true, and good but is now lost to the memory of both Catholics and Protestants. Both have experienced catastrophic losses, and we don’t sacrifice one iota of our own orthodoxy when we weep with those who weep, no matter their creed. -- Fr. Frank Bass, former Anglican now Catholic priest.

I guess the best is to grieve for that which is lost, to be joyful for that which is preserved (for now) and not to be too shocked when this 12th century cathedral becomes a 22nd century mosque.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Newtheran

Sep 10, 2018
South
✟26,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Church of England staring at oblivion as just 2% of young Britons say they identify with it

Christians offer to cover up crosses for Muslims to celebrate Ramadan in church | Daily Mail Online

When you've reached the point where you're originally offering to cover up crosses and paintings of Jesus to let Muslims worship in your sanctuary...and then settle for having an Iftar dinner on the premises during Ramadan...why not just go to a Mosque?

"Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels." Mark 8:38.

Upvote 0

ronlion

Dec 23, 2013
✟47,801.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

The number of people who identify as belonging to the Church of England has dropped to a record low in an “unrelenting decline” that could threaten the denomination’s future, research suggests.

CofE affiliation has fallen to just 2 per cent among adults aged 18 to 24, while the majority of every age group now has no religion, the British Social Attitudes (BSA) survey found.

View attachment 261435

The number of Britons who describe themselves as part of the church has more than halved since 2002, from 31 per cent to 14 per cent. The number who actually attend sermons is far lower.

The sharpest drop was among 45- to 54-year-olds, only 11 per cent of whom identify with the CofE compared to 35 per cent in 2002.

The strongest affiliation with the church was among over-60s, but even there a minority of 30 per cent say they belong to the denomination.

More than four times as many 18- to 24-year-olds – 9 per cent – said they belonged to the church 16 years ago.

The drop comes amid a trend towards a secular society. Fifty-two per cent of people now say they belong to no religion, up from 41 per cent in 2002.

In Scotland an even higher proportion – 56 per cent – say they have no religion, and only 18 per cent belong to the Church of Scotland, according to the BSA.

Roger Harding, head of public attitudes at the National Centre for Social Research, which conducts the survey, said: “Our figures show an unrelenting decline in Church of England and Church of Scotland numbers.

“This is especially true for young people where less than one in 20 now belong to their established church.

More at link: Church of England staring at oblivion as just 2% of young Britons say they identify with it
I read that 30

The number of people who identify as belonging to the Church of England has dropped to a record low in an “unrelenting decline” that could threaten the denomination’s future, research suggests.

CofE affiliation has fallen to just 2 per cent among adults aged 18 to 24, while the majority of every age group now has no religion, the British Social Attitudes (BSA) survey found.

View attachment 261435

The number of Britons who describe themselves as part of the church has more than halved since 2002, from 31 per cent to 14 per cent. The number who actually attend sermons is far lower.

The sharpest drop was among 45- to 54-year-olds, only 11 per cent of whom identify with the CofE compared to 35 per cent in 2002.

The strongest affiliation with the church was among over-60s, but even there a minority of 30 per cent say they belong to the denomination.

More than four times as many 18- to 24-year-olds – 9 per cent – said they belonged to the church 16 years ago.

The drop comes amid a trend towards a secular society. Fifty-two per cent of people now say they belong to no religion, up from 41 per cent in 2002.

In Scotland an even higher proportion – 56 per cent – say they have no religion, and only 18 per cent belong to the Church of Scotland, according to the BSA.

Roger Harding, head of public attitudes at the National Centre for Social Research, which conducts the survey, said: “Our figures show an unrelenting decline in Church of England and Church of Scotland numbers.

“This is especially true for young people where less than one in 20 now belong to their established church.

More at link: Church of England staring at oblivion as just 2% of young Britons say they identify with it

View attachment 261435

2%??!! Are some of these ex-Anglicans joining evangelical churches?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
2%??!! Are some of these ex-Anglicans joining evangelical churches?
Some, yes. Some others go RC. Some choose one of the newer Continuing Anglican split-off churches. But the main problem appears to be the advance of secularism, which is a challenge to all churches in the West.

In Anglicanism (American variety at least), it causes younger members just to discount church-going altogether, while for older members there is nothing as good as Anglicanism at its best. They face either giving up their style of worship or taking on the errors of Rome in order to get something close to it.

For these long-term Anglicans, switching either way, Catholic or Evangelical, is very hard for them to bring themselves to do. As a result many of them also give up church-going since they feel they have nowhere to go.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Christians offer to cover up crosses for Muslims to celebrate Ramadan in church | Daily Mail Online

When you've reached the point where you're originally offering to cover up crosses and paintings of Jesus to let Muslims worship in your sanctuary...and then settle for having an Iftar dinner on the premises during Ramadan...why not just go to a Mosque?

"Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels." Mark 8:38.
At least the Anglican bishop's office intervened and prevented this, or the worst of it. What they ought to do is figure out how to evangelize Muslims. Fat chance?

Notre Dame, a supposedly Catholic institution of higher learning, decided to give former president Obama an honorary degree, and they covered up crucifixes so Barak Obama would not have to see any of them. It was a cowardly act to even allow him on campus. In their justification they said "well, we give EVERY president of the United States an honorary degree so we HAVE TO give such a thing to Obama too" But then came Trump and he hasn't gotten his honorary degree yet. Don't hold your breath. Anyhow, the Notre Dame crucifix-covering/honorary-degree/speech thing got lots of blowback from lots of Catholic bishops. Which was a sign of hope. Bishops Zubik, Loverde, LeVoir Make 46 Bishops Against ND Scandal

Just wanted to point out that acts of apostasy show up here and there all over the place. We need to resist them and avoid them as we can. Fight or flight with God guiding.

Upvote 0

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
At least the Anglican bishop's office intervened and prevented this, or the worst of it. What they ought to do is figure out how to evangelize Muslims. Fat chance?

Notre Dame, a supposedly Catholic institution of higher learning, decided to give former president Obama an honorary degree, and they covered up crucifixes so Barak Obama would not have to see any of them. It was a cowardly act to even allow him on campus. In their justification they said "well, we give EVERY president of the United States an honorary degree so we HAVE TO give such a thing to Obama too" But then came Trump and he hasn't gotten his honorary degree yet. Don't hold your breath. Anyhow, the Notre Dame crucifix-covering/honorary-degree/speech thing got lots of blowback from lots of Catholic bishops. Which was a sign of hope. Bishops Zubik, Loverde, LeVoir Make 46 Bishops Against ND Scandal

Just wanted to point out that acts of apostasy show up here and there all over the place. We need to resist them and avoid them as we can. Fight or flight with God guiding.
I agree. The battle line is with those non-believers who are determined to stamp out Christianity, including the supportive political correctness faction and the politically naïve, who will whimper like school girls when everything comes crashing down around them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums