• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Church of England staring at oblivion as just 2% of young Britons say they identify with it

Discussion in 'Current News & Events' started by redleghunter, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Anthony2019

Anthony2019 "Only Me!" Supporter

+3,320
    United Kingdom
    Anglican
    Single
    When I was orphaned as a child, the Anglican church taught me about the love of God.
    When I had a housing crisis in my mid twenties, an Anglican couple took me into their own home.
    When I went through a crisis of faith and stopped going to church, I stayed with some brothers in an Anglican friary and found my faith reignited.
    If it wasn't for my brothers and sisters in the Anglican church, I don't know where I would be today.

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  2. dqhall

dqhall Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,470
    Christian
    Single
    There is an Anglican church inside the Joppa Gate of Old Jerusalem. The church was built in the 19th century on land donated by the Turks after the British helped them in a battle against the Russians. I stayed at their guesthouse. I met the pastor who had legal troubles for giving a Bible to some Jewish youth who asked for one. The Israeli Jews have a law against proselytization. Israel has a small Christian minority of Jewish and Arab Christians. Some Christians living in Nazareth left the country.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  3. inquiring mind

inquiring mind associate with those you can learn from Supporter

+2,787
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    When you accept every sort of foreigner into your country, in large numbers; promote, encourage and support any kind of ‘freedom of expression,’ regardless of its morality and influence on the youth; your base culture and religion are soon to go… simple as that.

4. James Honigman

James Honigman Member Supporter

+107
    Christian
    Single
    Hi Red. You are right, and it is not just the Church of England but Christianity everywhere. It's important to point out though, this is just as it's supposed to be. The Lord told us in 11 Thessalonians 2 there is to be a great falling away before we see the antichrist in Jerusalem claiming to be God. In Amos 8 we are told there will be a famine in the land for hearing the words of the LORD. These are just two examples of the world falling away from Christ; there are many more.

5. Athanasius377

Athanasius377 Is a little right of Atilla the Hun Supporter

+921
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Constitution
    There are a lot of really good points in this thread. I would point out that as Christians the majority of us are uncomfortable with the role of being truly countercultural. The modern western liberal (in the classical sense) ideal was marinated in the classical Christian worldview. Slowly at first and now picking up steam that train is shedding that worldview in favor of a militant secular one so much so that we will not be tolerated in the future. Our Roman Catholic friends have a point when it comes to state churches becoming tools of statecraft and not so much tools of the Gospel. In other words there will soon be a time where there won’t be room in the secular sphere for even mainstream (read secular or worldly) Christians. Those of us who are faithful will be lumped in with the Westboro Baptist cult and these state churches will not be able to offer any quarter to us that remain.

So my point is we should embrace our label as being countercultural and subversive and stop soliciting the secular world’s approval.

End rant. Sorry, that my two cents.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. redleghunter

redleghunter Thank You Jesus! Supporter

+29,501
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    That’s a keeper. Well said Bro.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. David Neos

David Neos Catechumen

+3,590
    Ecuador
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    I don't know why people consider "Hispanics" a devoted group. Where I am now, most of the young people (around my age) support gay marriage, transgenderism, and abortion. The adults and seniors at least pretend to be Catholic and try to go to church (clear exceptions, of course).

In the US, most of the Hispanics were cultural Christians or atheists.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Athanasius377

+921
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Good point. Like most demographic groups they are not monolithic. The ones I know locally are about as divided as any other group.

9. redleghunter

+29,501
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Some are, some are remaining faithful Catholics, some are becoming Evangelical or Pentecostal.

Have a buddy who follows faith/religion polls closely and will ask him to share.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  10. David Neos

David Neos Catechumen

+3,590
    Ecuador
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Well, I am talking mainly about college student age.

• List
  11. Athanasius377

+921
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Good point as well. I read an article documenting the trend of Latin American Catholics converting in droves to Pentecostal church bodies. If I had link at my fingertips I would paste it. Like most stats the real meat is in the details like what is being considered a Catholic.

12. redleghunter

+29,501
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    • List
  13. David Neos

David Neos Catechumen

+3,590
    Ecuador
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    It has been a common pattern since a long time, my grandparents are Evangelicals (one of them used to be a Pastor), my parents and their siblings are Evangelicals, my siblings are Evangelicals and I grew up Evangelical.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  14. redleghunter

+29,501
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    That is important to note. They as with all American youth are on the decline.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Aussie Pete

Aussie Pete Well-Known Member Supporter

+490
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    There are exceptions, of course. But that is in spite of the Anglican hierarchy, not because of it. It seems that 98% of 20 year olds see the Church of England as irrelevant.

To me, this could be a good thing. It should stir God's people to action, praying and fasting and repenting. We've seen an amazing miracle in Australia. A party with an anti Christian agenda was guaranteed election. Except for God. Many Christians got together and prayed and fasted and repented of division over a period of over a year. A Christian is now Prime Minister. The opposition party is still wondering how they could have lost. One day, the Church will cease to be a corporation and become the Body of Christ that God intended it to be. I hope to be alive to see that day and I am doing what I can to bring it to pass. Lord Jesus is returning for a glorious Church.

16. LaBèlla

LaBèlla ❤️ Supporter

+4,786
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I remember researching different denominations years ago. I had settled on Anglican or Episcopal paths. But the latter has crossed lines I can’t sanction spiritually and the former is following suit. At least in my neighborhood. Most of the places of worship are very liberal. Its a sad state.

17. creslaw

creslaw Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,054
    Australia
    Christian
    Married
    Pete, I sat glued to the tv all that Saturday night ... and the next day I couldn't stop smiling. The look on Penny Wong's face was priceless. Morrison saying "I've always believed in miracles" ... how good was that!

Even so I think it might take a bit of serious persecution to get the Church back on track ... and that is most likely to come from the Left.

18. Aussie Pete

+490
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    My understanding is that very few Christians now live in areas controlled by Arabs, including Bethlehem. Talmudic Jewish belief is as hostile to Christianity as Islam. Worldly religion is hostile to Christ now as it was during His time on earth. The one thing that unites the world is its hostility to Christ. (Psalm 2). God gets the last laugh. The Kingdoms of the world will be overthrown and replaced with the Kingdom of God.

19. Paidiske

Paidiske Clara bonam audax Supporter

+12,576
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    Frankly, I didn't find either of the major parties in the last election to be presenting much of a Christian agenda. I found Labor's traditional concern for the poor and marginalised slightly more in line with the values of the reign of God.

The idea that Christians might align neatly with one party or the other doesn't really do justice to either the gospel or the breadth and diversity of the genuinely devout Christian community.

20. Aussie Pete

+490
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    Yes, we are not "there" yet. It was evidence of what God can do. I was very much reminded of Gough Whitlam's overthrow in 1975. That was prefaced by much prayer. Unfortunately it became "business as usual" a few years later. The church has to be shaken and the false removed. Some estimates are that 95% of church attenders are not born again. It varies, of course, but the gospel preached is so shallow that its hardly surprising.