Church of England backs Women Bishops!!!

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It hasn't made a big difference here; I doubt it will in England.

Is there even much of a continuing movement at all outside of the United States? I hadn't heard much of any...

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,413.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
ACNA is split regarding women's ordination, with a diocesan option.

It might make more difference to the ACNA....after all...they've opposed women ordinations and the like since breaking with TEC. They were friendly with the CofE but expect more radicalization.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ContraMundum

Messianic Jewish Christian
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is there even much of a continuing movement at all outside of the United States? I hadn't heard much of any...

Not really. They were mostly torpedoed by the Vatican's Ordinariate offer. I left because of it.

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

This won't save the CofE from sliding into further obscurity. The C of E's problems are much deeper.

Years ago I would have felt deeply saddened by this, but I don't care now. As far as I can tell, there's not much actual Christianity left in the tank, and that's the real issue. Leaving the Gospel behind to play dress-ups (religious cosplay) will be the undoing of the C of E.

Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I hope this vote did not surprise anyone. The result was obvious to me before the first ballot was cast. Will this provide a surge to the continuing movement?

Despite what a lot of Continuing Anglican groups and other Catholic churches like to say, there is no supporting data that the approval of women clergy, even to the level of the episcopate, has caused real droves of people to leave.

If anything, as many who leave, are replaced by those who come into for the same reason. My parish was just graced by a priest who was formerly a priest in the Roman Catholic Church, for example.

Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It might make more difference to the ACNA....after all...they've opposed women ordinations and the like since breaking with TEC. They were friendly with the CofE but expect more radicalization.

Not really. They do not allow women bishops, but they do not have an issue with women priests; I know one.

Most Continuing Anglican churches and communions are small, although they are mostly found, I think, here in the US. I'm sure a more knowledgeable person can better this reply.

Not really. They were mostly torpedoed by the Vatican's Ordinariate offer. I left because of it.

That is very unfortunate. My sympathies; I'm not sure the Vatican realizes how much worse they made the situation...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PaladinValer

Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
An even more watered down English Church.

How much water can you add before the wine turns to red water?

Welcome to STR, the Anglican/Old Catholic subforum here on CF.

Please refrain from attacking Anglican or Old Catholic groups in STR; we don't go into the Lutheran subforum and attack Lutheran groups and we ask the same respect

If, instead, there are questions of why the resolution passed and/or what theological basis we have for women bishops, that's fine, but this sort of offensive posting is not tolerable. As I see your membership is very new, I highly suggest reviewing CF rules: click here for a review, and note what is written under "Congregation Forum Restrictions and orthodox Christian Only Forums".

Thank you.

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That is very unfortunate. My sympathies; I'm not sure the Vatican realizes how much worse they made the situation...

Thanks bro. :cool: It did in fact end the Anglican walk for almost everyone I knew as a colleague. They are now either in the Ordinariate or in another tradition, or retired, or gone to glory. I know only two who are still calling themselves Continuers. I've gone into the service of another tradition.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,413.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I agree with your comments.

For example, many Catholics have moved to TEC because of its acceptance of women as clergy.

With regard to ACNA, I would say that it is a continuing disappointment for many that they cannot resolve this issue. If they were to take a clear position one way or the other, they would gain and lose members. More importantly, the issue would be behind them.

IMHO, it is not Anglo-Catholics who might leave CoE because of women priests. It is the evangelicals. The tensions between Anglo-Catholics and evangelicals have been there for centuries. Curiously, the Anglo-Catholics within CoE accept women priests and bishops.

Despite what a lot of Continuing Anglican groups and other Catholic churches like to say, there is no supporting data that the approval of women clergy, even to the level of the episcopate, has caused real droves of people to leave.

If anything, as many who leave, are replaced by those who come into for the same reason. My parish was just graced by a priest who was formerly a priest in the Roman Catholic Church, for example.

Upvote 0

Picky Picky

Old – but wise?
Apr 26, 2012
✟11,050.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I agree with your comments.

For example, many Catholics have moved to TEC because of its acceptance of women as clergy.

With regard to ACNA, I would say that it is a continuing disappointment for many that they cannot resolve this issue. If they were to take a clear position one way or the other, they would gain and lose members. More importantly, the issue would be behind them.

IMHO, it is not Anglo-Catholics who might leave CoE because of women priests. It is the evangelicals. The tensions between Anglo-Catholics and evangelicals have been there for centuries. Curiously, the Anglo-Catholics within CoE accept women priests and bishops.

Some Anglo-Catholics do. Many don't, and joined the conservative evangelicals in opposition. But it's perhaps true that the Anglo-Catholics have shown themselves more willing to trust the measures being taken to safeguard their position. Some conservative evangelicals also voted for the proposals in the same spirit, but you are right, I think, in discerning more worry about their future. On the whole, though, I expect the CofE to hold together as usual.

Upvote 0