USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So what do you call correction/reproofing? Because technically that is what you would be doing if you talked to the pastor about his habits. Which is what you should do as a christian.
I call it examining one's self. Working on my own soul salvation. Removing the beam from my eyes. It's easy to use the bible to find fault in others...but to use it to clean yourself up? That is much harder. All have to do is polish up my light and men will see and glorify the Father.

Upvote 0

Thedictator

Retired Coach, Now Missionary to the World
Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟50,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How do you see money being well spent in your church?

Where/How do you see it possibly not being well used?
1. I do not believe that God is pleased with multimillion dollar Cathedral.
2. Six or seven figure salaries for preachers
3. Christian theme parks or play grounds for the Christian rich.
4. Church money for youth ski trips
5. Private Jets for TV Evangelist

• Agree
Reactions: Mccleary
Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I call it examining one's self. Working on my own soul salvation. Removing the beam from my eyes. It's easy to use the bible to find fault in others...but to use it to clean yourself up? That is much harder. All have to do is polish up my light and men will see and glorify the Father.
So then would you be willing to say the bible is wrong about reproofing/correction and that we shouldn't do it? If so why do you go to church to learn? Why do bible studies?

I agree of course about examining ourselves. And we are not called to judge, but we are called to each and help others.

Upvote 0

Curtis.Hilliker

Now what.......
Apr 25, 2011
Tehachapi CA
✟47,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
I think what I find negative is not building maintenance, as such, but what I might call unwise investment in buildings/church plant.

For example, I know churches which maintain tennis facilities. Now, I ask you, what does tennis have to do with the kingdom of God? Why can't that land be developed in ways which more directly serve the mission of the Church?

That's the sort of thing that tends to bother me.

Love - 30 ...... just kidding.

Upvote 0

Curtis.Hilliker

Now what.......
Apr 25, 2011
Tehachapi CA
✟47,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
1. I do not believe that God is pleased with multimillion dollar Cathedral.
2. Six or seven figure salaries for preachers
3. Christian theme parks or play grounds for the Christian rich.
4. Church money for youth ski trips
5. Private Jets for TV Evangelist

I wouldn't mind if my pastor made 100k, he tithes 20% on top of his random giving and he does a wonderful job. But he sure doesn't need a Gulfstream G6 to get somewhere!!!!

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟400,885.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Positive: Charity, church maintenance, facility costs and anything good and useful for the preaching of the Word in its purity and simplicity.

Negative: Spending money on marketing, gimmicks and elaborate campaigns and displays.

Outreach is good, but through the Word and experience, I firmly believe that we ought to rely on the Gospel - not our own ability to entertain. If the outreach campaigns or assets are free to produce (through the charity of volunteers in the church) - fine. If it's expensive, I'd rather see the money go to the poor and needy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Well, Joyce Meyer announced her numbers, which I thought was very gracious of her... 83% of all the money goes to outreach, directly toward helping others, and 17% goes to the ministry, or other things needed to support the foundation so to speak...

Like to see Jesse Duplantis's numbers...?

I like Joyce...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Those two are not doing so good.
There is world wide virus spreading still:
Prosperity Gospel Born in the USA
"...My eyes were intently scanning, and perhaps my heart coveting, the piles of books at the Christian book fair in Kyiv, Ukraine. As I perused the merchandise, my eyes stopped, focused, and involuntarily rolled upward. There it was:.... translated into Russian, lying on the table in front of me. This was another reminder that although the modern prosperity gospel originated in the United States, its preachers have exported this deadly virus around the world to places such as Latin America, Africa, Asia, and even Eastern Europe.

This article will briefly trace the origins of the prosperity gospel and suggest some reasons as to why it has prospered in the United States...."

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
How do you see money being well spent in your church?

Where/How do you see it possibly not being well used?
My parish puts helping out those in need first -- we have our priorities straight.
But... we give so much that basic needs aren't met. As a volunteer at the office, I'll go looking for a stencil pad or post-its only to find that we're out of it once again as usual.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
My parish puts helping out those in need first -- we have our priorities straight.
But... we give so much that basic needs aren't met. As a volunteer at the office, I'll go looking for a stencil pad or post-its only to find that we're out of it once again as usual.
Is that really having your priorities straight, or not...?

I mean, what if one day you couldn't pay for the building and had to shut down, and not be able to the good work...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So then would you be willing to say the bible is wrong about reproofing/correction and that we shouldn't do it? If so why do you go to church to learn? Why do bible studies?

I agree of course about examining ourselves. And we are not called to judge, but we are called to each and help others.
I wouldnt say the bible is wrong about anything. I choose to read this verse as correcting myself, not others. When i remove all the fault from myself, then i will think about correcting others. Until then, I will leave that to the only one with the ability to view the contents of the heart.

I cant say why everyone goes to church or bible study. Maybe they go in hopes to hear from a man anointed with the spirit of God until they receive it. "But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you"

Upvote 0

The_Gaurdian87

Jun 9, 2015
Virginia
✟24,489.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I go to a mega church here in Virginia and I believe the money is being used for good for the most part but there is some questionable stuff I am not sure about.

Positives
-My church does a lot of good in the local community and abroad in other places such as Israel and Africa etc.

-The church is growing and has campuses in eight different locations Virginia, North Carolina, Los Angeles.

Negatives
The church sometimes can go over board with wanting to plant churches it seems in every state and is HEAVY on giving, which sometimes makes the church feel like a business. Each service has someone giving a 5 min speech on tithing. The pastor also preaches sometimes on the subject of money and giving which sometimes can rub people the wrong way. But I understand why he does it but it can come off as to heavy handed.

The pastor travels a lot and it's not clear on if the church pays for his travel through our giving (Tithes) or is he paying for it with his own money. I talking about when he travels to other churches to speak and stuff.

But overall, I think my church handles money well and does good things that uplift God and his kingdom.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I go to a mega church here in Virginia and I believe the money is being used for good for the most part but there is some questionable stuff I am not sure about.

Positives
-My church does a lot of good in the local community and abroad in other places such as Israel and Africa etc.

-The church is growing and has campuses in eight different locations Virginia, North Carolina, Los Angeles.

Negatives
The church sometimes can go over board with wanting to plant churches it seems in every state and is HEAVY on giving, which sometimes makes the church feel like a business. Each service has someone giving a 5 min speech on tithing. The pastor also preaches sometimes on the subject of money and giving which sometimes can rub people the wrong way. But I understand why he does it but it can come off as to heavy handed.

The pastor travels a lot and it's not clear on if the church pays for his travel through our giving (Tithes) or is he paying for it with his own money. I talking about when he travels to other churches to speech and stuff.

But overall, I think my church handles money well and does good things that uplift God and his kingdom.
Included in their tithing preaching, should equal amounts of what is being done with the money, where it is going to, and how it is being used by them...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
QUOTE= ]Those two are not doing so good.
".... its preachers have exported this deadly virus around the world to places such as Latin America, Africa, Asia, and even Eastern Europe.
This article will briefly trace the origins of the prosperity gospel and suggest some reasons as to why it has prospered in the United States...."[/QUOTE
... ...
Is that really having your priorities straight, or not...?
The properity gospel is a false gospel - it is instead of Christ, and though men feeeel like it is the way to go, it is deadly./ fatal to faith in Jesus.
I mean, what if one day you couldn't pay for the building and had to shut down, and not be able to the good work...?
Jesus said to Peter: "get behind Me" "because that is thinking after the way of men and not of God" ....

Jesus said not to even give a thought to the worldly concerns - God takes care of those. The whole world worries about food and drink and clothes and roof over head -
Jesus says God knows what we have need of, leave it to Him,
just do what God says, for the Gospel's sake, living by faith.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
QUOTE= ]Those two are not doing so good.
".... its preachers have exported this deadly virus around the world to places such as Latin America, Africa, Asia, and even Eastern Europe.
This article will briefly trace the origins of the prosperity gospel and suggest some reasons as to why it has prospered in the United States...."[/QUOTE
... ...

The properity gospel is a false gospel - it is instead of Christ, and though men feeeel like it is the way to go, it is deadly./ fatal to faith in Jesus.

Jesus said to Peter: "get behind Me" "because that is thinking after the way of men and not of God" ....

Jesus said not to even give a thought to the worldly concerns - God takes care of those. The whole world worries about food and drink and clothes and roof over head -
Jesus says God knows what we have need of, leave it to Him,
just do what God says, for the Gospel's sake, living by faith.

I was more thinking of say a man supporting taking care of a family making sure they have and will have the necessities before giving all of his money to the church kind of a thing...

Making sure yourself is taken care of so you can take care of others...

God Bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Making sure yourself is taken care of so you can take care of others...
Right - wrong.
Jesus taught His disciples another way, the true way.
The prosperity preachers are anti-truth in their teaching.
They're not the only ones wrong, but they are the ones you mentioned.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Right - wrong.
Jesus taught His disciples another way, the true way.
The prosperity preachers are anti-truth in their teaching.
They're not the only ones wrong, but they are the ones you mentioned.
I'm just saying they should just come out and say "This is what were going to do with your money" and be honest about it, and if it's good, even more people might be willing to give...

I've never bought into the prosperity gospel much, I think to prosper well, you have to eliminate sins and not give only money...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I'm just saying they should just come out and say "This is what were going to do with your money" and be honest about it, and if it's good, even more people might be willing to give...
That is just what they want you to think,
what they want everyone to think they are doing.
(from memory now) ....
The one (maybe more) you said you liked is widely exposed as a prosperity gospel promoter (instead of one true Gospel of Jesus).
Another one (you posted video or teaching of) is directly from the ministry of someone who has the form of religion - actually is "popular" , so to speak, here, - directly and openly denies the power thereof (the current truth about the present living power of God in the Gospel and in the ekklesia).
i.e. "prosperity" "church money" with no power to heal, to save, to live....
I've never bought into the prosperity gospel much, I think to prosper well, you have to eliminate sins and not give only money...

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
That is just what they want you to think,
what they want everyone to think they are doing.
(from memory now) ....
The one (maybe more) you said you liked is widely exposed as a prosperity gospel promoter (instead of one true Gospel of Jesus).
Another one (you posted video or teaching of) is directly from the ministry of someone who has the form of religion - actually is "popular" , so to speak, here, - directly and openly denies the power thereof (the current truth about the present living power of God in the Gospel and in the ekklesia).
i.e. "prosperity" "church money" with no power to heal, to save, to live....
Uh, I don't post video's and I do not not watch carefully anyone of them I support... And if I don't like a prosperity teaching, or if I come to think that's what they're about, I don't watch them anymore and I don't support them, and I'm watching them, carefully observing and taking notes, and I do not believe or follow everything they preach, but I extract useful parts...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Uh, I don't post video's and I do not not watch carefully anyone of them I support... And if I don't like a prosperity teaching, or if I come to think that's what they're about, I don't watch them anymore and I don't support them, and I'm watching them, carefully observing and taking notes, and I do not believe or follow everything they preach, but I extract useful parts...

God Bless!
in post 27 you said quote "I like" a known prosperity preacher.
(very well known; and throughly described online).
the video? like I posted (from memory) - but I'm not going to go look for it again, it might have been someone else, but the gist of your posts has been along the lines of j.m. and j.m. (2 different ones on worldwide web, same initials) ....
"extracting " and repeating so-called useful information from a bad tree with bad seed, especially one you 'like',
results in most bad seed and more bad trees.

Upvote 0