-
✟38,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is it right to setup a membership of a local church where its members are required to commit to it for life? There's also a rule that duo membership is not possible. Meaning to says you are expected to care, gather, serve in this one local church after you become a member.

Where does it in the NT there's such a pattern? to me a church is merely a group of believers coming together living the Christian live. Paul didn't setup the church in Corinth and command them not to go to Church in Rome isn't it?

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is it right to setup a membership of a local church where its members are required to commit to it for life? There's also a rule that duo membership is not possible. Meaning to says you are expected to care, gather, serve in this one local church after you become a member.

Where does it in the NT there's such a pattern? to me a church is merely a group of believers coming together living the Christian live. Paul didn't setup the church in Corinth and command them not to go to Church in Rome isn't it?

Sounds overbearing and controlling to me. I wouldn't agree to it.

Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is no such pattern in the NT. You don't read of memberships at all in the sense we have them.

You are a lifetime member in the body of Christ. No need to be the lifetime member under the tyranny of a group that is not modelling the church structure as Paul planted it. Lifetime membership invites spiritual abuse. Do some research on victims of church abuse under life time memberships.

I would not join a church like that in a formal way for any reason whatsoever. If you enjoy their fellowship, just continue attending without the membership paperwork. If they pressure you, just say you are not ready to consider it at this time. Just keep saying that at any interval you are pressed for membership

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

I've never understood "membership". It's ridiculous. If you are born again, you are a member. (Ephesians 3:6). Who would ask a child to sign a pledge to their household? There is one church in each locality. Every other distinction is man-made and utterly unscriptural.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The church requires them to swear an oath to attend. It is not wise to swear any such oath.

Matthew 5:34-37 KJV

34 But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne:
35 Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King.
36 Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black.
37 But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party

It's more like witchcraft than Christianity.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't know that it's right or wrong, but I would not want to be part of it. It ignores the mobile nature of the modern world. It demands loyalty even if the church takes an errant or undesired path. I, like some others on CF, have left a body that no longer seemed a good fit. I would have to decline. I've never been very partial to being controlled by others.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There may be a point to be made about no dual memberships, although I'd consider that to be something that's done only very rarely.

But on the question of pledging to remain a member of the local congregation for life, no, there's no basis for that.

Indeed, Scripture speaks of not being yoked together unequally, which is what happens when a denomination completely changes its beliefs. A sincere believer has to be free to change memberships if the church changes its doctrines and practices around him.

Upvote 0

Andrew1988

Mar 28, 2020
Waseca
✟15,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Hello there. I’ve recently been searching for a Church in my area and I have a couple of really nice churches that I’ve found. These Churches are part of the Evangelical Lutheran Synod or ELS. My question is about their Closed Communion practice. They say that only members of that Church may partake in communion but nobody else. What exactly is the difference between church members and regular church attendees? Is Closed Communion biblical?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Hello there. I’ve recently been searching for a Church in my area and I have a couple of really nice churches that I’ve found. These Churches are part of the Evangelical Lutheran Synod or ELS. My question is about their Closed Communion practice. They say that only members of that Church may partake in communion but nobody else. What exactly is the difference between church members and regular church attendees? Is Closed Communion biblical?

Closed church members receive catechesis and are confirmed, sometimes with chrismation. @MarkRohfrietsch can go into detail. The church members are those who were confirmed and receive communion at that church.

I really like the ELS and it is a church I would join if it was the best option in my neighborhood. While the LCMS is largely ethnically German, and the ELCA is largely Scandinavian (the Augustana Synod was almost entirely Swedish), the ELS is known for being very ethnically Norwegian. And although I am not Norsk, I love a good Norwegian seafood chowder with crab, clams, scallops and salmon in a white cream sauce.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,925.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Closed church members receive catechesis and are confirmed, sometimes with chrismation. @MarkRohfrietsch can go into detail. The church members are those who were confirmed and receive communion at that church.

I really like the ELS and it is a church I would join if it was the best option in my neighborhood. While the LCMS is largely ethnically German, and the ELCA is largely Scandinavian (the Augustana Synod was almost entirely Swedish), the ELS is known for being very ethnically Norwegian. And although I am not Norsk, I love a good Norwegian seafood chowder with crab, clams, scallops and salmon in a white cream sauce.
You are correct, For confessional Lutherans it is not only important to fully understand, hold, and believe in the efficacy of the sacraments before communing, but also to be in fellowship, understanding and accepting the bacic doctrins of Christianity, usually bassed on Luther's small catechism. My Pastor actually used the first part of the Augsburg Confession for adult instruction, using the Catechism as a guideline. I like this approach as the AC brings context and application to the Small Catichism.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,596.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is it right to setup a membership of a local church where its members are required to commit to it for life?

No.
Sounds impractical anyway. People move away, circumstances change.
And if the leadership are trying to say that those things mustn't change/happen and that nothing must prevent your membership of that church - run like mad.

What could they do if someone left, anyway; sue them?

• Winner
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
...What could they do if someone left, anyway; sue them?

What some religious groups would do is to tell those who leave that they are going to hell and pile heaps of guilt on them. Shunning by family or friends would be part of the experience among some groups.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,596.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What some religious groups would do is to tell those who leave that they are going to hell and pile heaps of guilt on them. Shunning by family or friends would be part of the experience among some groups.

I'm sure they would.
But that would be untrue - and an example of coercion/manipulation rather than love.

A person spends eternity without God and dead in their sins if they do not have eternal life and forgiveness. Jesus gives both; salvation is through Jesus alone NOT Jesus +, and certainly not through any man made, and led, church.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,194.00
Faith
Non-Denom

Curiously, there is a denomination (Reformed Presbyterian Church in North America) which, until quite recently, required all of its members to enter into a covenant where not only did they, individually, promise complete loyalty to the denomination all of their lives, but all of their descendants, as well. On the surface, this seems to be a really clever idea with a net result of assured membership growth based on natural population growth. However, in the 300 or so years it has been in existence it has actually diminished in numbers until, at the present time, there are somewhat more than 7,000 members in the entire United States and it is virtually unknown in Scotland, its original home.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Several years ago, the founder of IHOP, Mike Bickle, created a list of seven ways to recognize the difference between a religious community and a cult. Written down, the signs seem clear:

1. Opposing critical thinking

2. Isolating members and penalizing them for leaving

3. Emphasizing special doctrines outside scripture

4. Seeking inappropriate loyalty to their leaders

5. Dishonoring the family unit

6. Crossing Biblical boundaries of behavior (versus sexual purity and personal ownership)

7. Separation from other Churches

The Seven Signs That You're in a Cult

1. Opposing critical thinking
  2. Isolating members and penalizing them for leaving
  3. Dishonoring the family unit
  4. Crossing Biblical boundaries of behavior (versus sexual purity and personal ownership)*
    • *This also applies to other scriptures or holy texts
  5. Emphasizing special doctrines outside “scripture”
  6. Separation from the Church
  7. Seeking inappropriate loyalty to their leaders
How Do I Know If I’m In A Cult? Seven Behaviors And Signs Of Cults

10 Signs You’re Probably In A Cult

The 3 main personality traits of cult leaders, according to a cult-recovery therapist

https://twentytwowords.com/signs-youre-in-a-cult/

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There is no such pattern in the NT. You don't read of memberships at all in the sense we have them.

You are a lifetime member in the body of Christ. No need to be the lifetime member under the tyranny of a group that is not modelling the church structure as Paul planted it. Lifetime membership invites spiritual abuse. Do some research on victims of church abuse under life time memberships.

I would not join a church like that in a formal way for any reason whatsoever. If you enjoy their fellowship, just continue attending without the membership paperwork. If they pressure you, just say you are not ready to consider it at this time. Just keep saying that at any interval you are pressed for membership

You are not speaking of a denomination. You are speaking of the Universal Church.

Upvote 0