• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Church membership: a lifelong commitment

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by Jesusthekingofking, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Jesusthekingofking

Jesusthekingofking Member

+60
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Is it right to setup a membership of a local church where its members are required to commit to it for life? There's also a rule that duo membership is not possible. Meaning to says you are expected to care, gather, serve in this one local church after you become a member.

Where does it in the NT there's such a pattern? to me a church is merely a group of believers coming together living the Christian live. Paul didn't setup the church in Corinth and command them not to go to Church in Rome isn't it?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Leet

Leet Newbie

+293
    Pentecostal
    Married
    Sounds restrictive and cultish.

3. NerdGirl

NerdGirl The untamed daughter

+2,334
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Sounds overbearing and controlling to me. I wouldn't agree to it.

4. Endeavourer

Endeavourer Well-Known Member

+1,362
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    There is no such pattern in the NT. You don't read of memberships at all in the sense we have them.

You are a lifetime member in the body of Christ. No need to be the lifetime member under the tyranny of a group that is not modelling the church structure as Paul planted it. Lifetime membership invites spiritual abuse. Do some research on victims of church abuse under life time memberships.

I would not join a church like that in a formal way for any reason whatsoever. If you enjoy their fellowship, just continue attending without the membership paperwork. If they pressure you, just say you are not ready to consider it at this time. Just keep saying that at any interval you are pressed for membership

5. Aussie Pete

Aussie Pete Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,869
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    I've never understood "membership". It's ridiculous. If you are born again, you are a member. (Ephesians 3:6). Who would ask a child to sign a pledge to their household? There is one church in each locality. Every other distinction is man-made and utterly unscriptural.

6. dqhall

dqhall Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,611
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    The church requires them to swear an oath to attend. It is not wise to swear any such oath.

Matthew 5:34-37 KJV

34 But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne:
    35 Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King.
    36 Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black.
    37 But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

7. Francis Drake

Francis Drake Returning adventurer.

+1,937
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    UK-Independence-Party
    It's more like witchcraft than Christianity.

8. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Episcopalian Supporter

+2,811
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    I don't know that it's right or wrong, but I would not want to be part of it. It ignores the mobile nature of the modern world. It demands loyalty even if the church takes an errant or undesired path. I, like some others on CF, have left a body that no longer seemed a good fit. I would have to decline. I've never been very partial to being controlled by others.

9. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+27,600
    Anglican
    Married
    There may be a point to be made about no dual memberships, although I'd consider that to be something that's done only very rarely.

But on the question of pledging to remain a member of the local congregation for life, no, there's no basis for that.

Indeed, Scripture speaks of not being yoked together unequally, which is what happens when a denomination completely changes its beliefs. A sincere believer has to be free to change memberships if the church changes its doctrines and practices around him.