• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Church in America needs African priests for its future

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by Colin, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Colin

Colin Senior Veteran

+6,855
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Single
    UK - SNP
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. dzheremi

dzheremi Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian

+7,890
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    This is good to see, in a way. When I was still in the RCC, living in Oregon (a very 'white' state), I observed that the most reverent, serious, and committed Catholics at any given Mass were always the Africans (and also the RCC was one place of very few in the area where you virtually guaranteed to meet people of every race under one roof, which is beautiful). There was the wonderful man from Tanzania who taught Swahili at the local university (he saw me once in the library watching a video on Byzantine Catholicism, and tapped me on the shoulder; I took off the listening headphones and he said, excitedly, "You are Catholic?" "Yes...?" "Glory be to God! I am Catholic, too! My brother!" and gave me a big hug...I was very confused, because the library was usually a very quiet place, but he was so very kind and loving whenever I saw him from then on), a group of young women from Togo, and so on. All very pious, keeping their heads covered while in Church (as it was in my grandmother's day! Ooof!), giving enthusiastic responses to everything, etc. I imagine from that that to have an African priest would be a blessing to any U.S.-based congregation. May the Lord grant it, if it be His will.

3. lambofgod43985889

lambofgod43985889 Active Member Supporter

+176
    Argentina
    Protestant
    Private
    in sports african people are being majority
    in music african are being majority
    why not in catholic church
    i don't know why i hear so bad things about the catholic church

4. Michie

Michie Human rights begin in the womb. Supporter

+23,928
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    There are many black Catholics in the USA. Many Hispanics are leaving for protestant churches.

5. lambofgod43985889

lambofgod43985889 Active Member Supporter

+176
    Argentina
    Protestant
    Private
    do you think if people change catholicism for a personal relationship with jesus in a protestant church, it's a sad thing?

6. Michie

+23,928
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    What makes you think that is not true of Catholicism? Most that leave the Church do so because they never knew their faith to begin with.

And please remember what forum you are posting in. You are not allowed to challenge or debate our faith here. If you want to do that, visit General Theology.

7. Fenwick

Fenwick Faithful then, faithful now!

+6,789
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Republican
    Man for the past 17 years my parish has had the priest from our sister parish in Kenya come visit for 6-8 weeks or so during the summer. This year he got turned back when he got to Amsterdam because apparently he had the wrong visa - even though he had the same visa he's always used. He got sent back and won't be coming this summer, kind of threw us into disarray for a bit but I felt really bad for the runaround he got.

He's a great priest, we've had some parochial vicars from elsewhere in Africa. They were excellent. Soft spoken, but excellent.

8. Michie

+23,928
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Our sister parish is in Haiti. We get summer visits from the priest there as well.

9. Romans 13:3

Romans 13:3 Newbie

+332
    Catholic
    We have been fortunate to have had several priests from Nigeria and Uganda pass our way. To me, they are almost always much better preacher; they truly 'bring it' at every homily. I wish homiletics was taught here the way it must be done in African seminaries.

10. Michie

+23,928
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    They are not afraid to speak the truth.

11. pdudgeon

pdudgeon Traditional Catholic

+9,483
    United States
    Catholic
    Widowed
    US-Republican
    Our parish is one of those blessed to have an African priest to serve us. :amen::preach::amen: