Encourager/Exhorter
Oct 3, 2012
Canada
✟20,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am looking for info on Church History, from the time of Christ's resurrection until now. Such things as how the churches have changed through the centuries. There is the Reformation Movement, Pentecostal/Charismatic Movement and Emergent Movement.

Interests are why they changed, where the denominations came from, such as Baptists, etc. Looking for charts, books, websites with good info.

Also looking for charts and info on the bible translations and why they changed through the centuries as well.

You will also see this thread in the Messianic section as well. I am trying to gain info on both sides of the coin. Looking on Messianic as well as the Christian perspective.

No debates please.

Moriah Ruth

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Moriah [URL="http://biblia.com/books/NIV/Ruth 777" said:
Ruth 777[/URL];64211958]I am looking for info on Church History, from the time of Christ's resurrection until now. Such things as how the churches have changed through the centuries. There is the Reformation Movement, Pentecostal/Charismatic Movement and Emergent Movement.

Interests are why they changed, where the denominations came from, such as Baptists, etc. Looking for charts, books, websites with good info.

Also looking for charts and info on the bible translations and why they changed through the centuries as well.

You will also see this thread in the Messianic section as well. I am trying to gain info on both sides of the coin. Looking on Messianic as well as the Christian perspective.

No debates please.

Moriah Ruth

Here are the three books which I've read on the subject:

My first book on Church history was The Story of Christianity by Justo L. Gonzalez

My second book, and a far larger read (but very accessible) was Church History in Plain Language by Dr. Bruce Shelley

Thirdly, because much of the material I'd read had focused on Western Christianity, I wanted more on the history of the Eastern Church, for that you can find little better than The Orthodox Church by Bishop Timothy Kallistos Ware

Another good resource, and one you can access online, would be The History of the Christian Church by Philip Schaff. I'm less familiar with Schaff's work, but my understanding is that it's quite good.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,347.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
My take is that they unraveled in ages...

The seven churches...

1. The Ephesan Candlestick:The Apostolic Church Age
2. The Smyrnaean Candlestick:The Martyr Church Age (Timothy)
3. The Pergamean Candlestick: The Towers Church Age (Constantine)
4. The Thyatirean Candlestick: Catholic Church Age (Charlemagne)
5. The Sardisean Candlestick: The Reformed Church Age (John Wycliff)
6. The Philadelphian Candlestick: The Revived Church Age (John Wesley)
7. The Laodicean Candlestick The Material Church Age (Dwight L Moody)

1. Ephesus – Apostolic – Leaving the first love… “All they which are in Asia be turned away from me…” – II Timothy 1:15
2. Smyrna – Martyrs – Persecutions ten days… Foxes Book of Martyrs describes ten Roman persecutions.
3. Pergamos – Orthodox – A pyrgos is a fortified structure – Needed for the dark ages.
4. Thyatira – Catholic – The Spirit of Jezebel is to persecute, control, and to dominate. This spirit can invade any church!
5. Sardis – Protestant – A sardius is a gem, elegant yet hard and rigid. Doctrine in the head, little in the heart.
6. Philadelphia – Methodist – To obtain sanctification was to do so with love.
7. Laodicea – Charismatic – Rich and increased with goods and have need of nothing? From hot ---> lukewarm ---> cold?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Sounds like you want to skip over the Catholic Church completely...

If not, you should visit www.michaeljohnwitt.com. He has loads of audios-he's a history professor, graduate level. Another book I'd recommend is "How the Catholic Church Built Western Civilization" By Thomas Woods. This is a topical history.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Moriah [URL="http://biblia.com/books/NIV/Ruth 777" said:
Ruth 777[/URL];64212084]I found this website which explains the denominations.

Where Did The Denominations Come From?

The chart is rather Western biased.

Roman Catholics and Eastern Orthodox both claim the other broke away from them; but if you look at the chart it would give the impression that Roman Catholicism is just de facto medieval Christianity. It would probably be more neutral if the chart split in two; rather than showing one splitting from the other.

The chart also doesn't mention the Oriental Orthodox.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Moriah Ruth 777

Encourager/Exhorter
Oct 3, 2012
Canada
✟20,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Via,

You stated, "The chart also doesn't mention the Oriental Orthodox."

You are right it doesn't. My husband just now told me that there are over 30,000 denominations. Where are the rest of them and who are they?

Thank you so much for sharing the books and the website.

Moriah Ruth

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Via,

You stated, "The chart also doesn't mention the Oriental Orthodox."

You are right it doesn't. My husband just now told me that there are over 30,000 denominations. Where are the rest of them and who are they?

Some are such tiny splinters that no chart could take account of them. However, most are already there. For example, the Southern Baptists, American Baptists, and National Baptists are incorporated into the same "Baptists" bloc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Moriah Ruth 777

Encourager/Exhorter
Oct 3, 2012
Canada
✟20,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Tzaousios,

You are so right. There is much info on the internet and with different opinions, some right and some wrong. As to which libraries that I have access to is the public library here in the city.

For me time and much study would hinder me from getting info from the library. Because I work and keep a home and family. I like to have books where I can study at my own pace and time.

I do have a bible store here in the city also. However money is very limited so I am not able to purchase the books that I need. There may be times that I can find some books at a used book store or thrift store. But again money is limited. I did purchase a book on church history but I gave it away. And now that I need it I don't have it. Silly me.

I am searching for truth and also deciphering truth from the lies. This is where I am at and why I am searching.

Moriah Ruth

Upvote 0

Tzaousios

Αυγουστινιανικός Χριστιανός
Dec 4, 2008
Comitatus in praesenti
Visit site
✟26,729.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are so right. There is much info on the internet and with different opinions, some right and some wrong. As to which libraries that I have access to is the public library here in the city.

That is why it would still be my advice to stay away from the internet except for university and scholarly sites that provide bibliographies that cite reputable scholars in their respective fields.

The public library is a good place to start; they undoubtedly have some kind of interlibrary loan service if you ask about it.

Moriah Ruth 777 said:
For me time and much study would hinder me from getting info from the library. Because I work and keep a home and family. I like to have books where I can study at my own pace and time.

Yes, there would be a sacrifice involved. This kind of study takes time and prayerful effort. However, it would be MUCH more beneficial than fishing through all of the terrible stuff on the internet.

Moriah Ruth 777 said:
I do have a bible store here in the city also. However money is very limited so I am not able to purchase the books that I need. There may be times that I can find some books at a used book store or thrift store. But again money is limited. I did purchase a book on church history but I gave it away. And now that I need it I don't have it. Silly me.

You should definitely ask your public library what kind of interlibrary loan services they offer. If the local one does not have it, the city public library probably will. Also, if you have a university or community college near you, that might be an opportunity to walk in and read if you do have some spare time. You will definitely find good stuff at a university library in "B" holdings.

Upvote 0
G

GratiaCorpusChristi

I am looking for info on Church History, from the time of Christ's resurrection until now. Such things as how the churches have changed through the centuries. There is the Reformation Movement, Pentecostal/Charismatic Movement and Emergent Movement.

No debates please.

Moriah Ruth

Here are the three books which I've read on the subject:

My first book on Church history was The Story of Christianity by Justo L. Gonzalez

My second book, and a far larger read (but very accessible) was Church History in Plain Language by Dr. Bruce Shelley

Thirdly, because much of the material I'd read had focused on Western Christianity, I wanted more on the history of the Eastern Church, for that you can find little better than The Orthodox Church by Bishop Timothy Kallistos Ware

Another good resource, and one you can access online, would be The History of the Christian Church by Philip Schaff. I'm less familiar with Schaff's work, but my understanding is that it's quite good.

-CryptoLutheran

Good stuff. I also really liked Diarmaid MacCulloch's Christianity: The First Three Thousand Years.

As for a chart, may I recommend:

800px-Christianity-Branches-2013update.png

That's a pretty good chart showing the major branches. Denominations get really confusing if you go into any more detail.

Upvote 0