Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Memphis church extends neighborly welcome to mosque

Updated: Thursday, 09 Sep 2010, 6:57 AM EDT
Published : Thursday, 09 Sep 2010, 6:57 AM EDT
(NewsCore) - As American headlines were dominated by international outcry over a preacher's plan to burn the Koran and the ongoing dispute about a planned mosque near New York's Ground Zero, one Tennessee church chose to extend a warm welcome to their new Muslim neighbors, local news station WREG reported Thursday.

The Heartsong Church in Memphis, Tenn., did more than bring a welcome basket to the Memphis Islamic Center being built in the community. When unfinished construction at the center meant Muslims could not worship there yet, the Christian church opened up its sanctuary for nightly Ramadan prayers...
Memphis church extends neighborly welcome to mosque

MIC In the News : Memphis Islamic Center

Videos:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/vp/39085550#39085550

NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams: News and videos from the evening broadcast NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams: News and videos from the evening broadcast- msnbc.com

FallenPaladin

Jul 23, 2010
✟1,010.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I wonder if they would open their doors to Wiccans too. It seem like many Christian churches are more Buddhist than Christian in their ways. This 'I'm okay, you're okay' view of belief is not compatible with the unsaved people getting the fires of Hell, unless this church is acting with the belief it is God's will so they go along with it.

Upvote 0

DeathMagus

Stater of the Obvious
Jul 17, 2007
Right behind you.
✟20,194.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
I wonder if they would open their doors to Wiccans too. It seem like many Christian churches are more Buddhist than Christian in their ways. This 'I'm okay, you're okay' view of belief is not compatible with the unsaved people getting the fires of Hell, unless this church is acting with the belief it is God's will so they go along with it.

Their website strikes me as very Unitarian.

Good for them.

Upvote 0

DeathMagus

Stater of the Obvious
Jul 17, 2007
Right behind you.
✟20,194.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
It is people like that who will bend over backwards until their backs break. Good for Muslims. Maybe their time is arriving.

Maybe, but none can say. In the meantime, how about we all just be civil to one another?

Upvote 0

PassionFruit

I woke up like dis
May 18, 2007
In the valley of the wind
✟20,550.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
It is people like that who will bend over backwards until their backs break. Good for Muslims. Maybe their time is arriving.

How dare that church be nice to people who have a different religion. Shameful!!! Jesus Christ wouldn't have liked that at all!!

Reactions: Mela Monkey
Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The best way to share the good word, is to offer a hand of friendship first.
I doubt many people are saved when thumped over the head with a bible, and someone screaming "your gonna burn in hell!" in their face.

If the message is love, how can you express it with hate?

Find the similarities in worship, the word, and the ideas, to establish a connection with them, then show them the difference. Even then do it with love, and you will not have destroyed anything, even when trying to change them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
T

The Lady Kate

Being civil to someone who wants to kill you works in their favor most of the time.

Tell that to Christ.

Luke 6:27-35 But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you, Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you. And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloke forbid not to take thy coat also. Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again. And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them. And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same. And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again. But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.

Upvote 0

KIYX

Jul 18, 2010
✟9,824.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Tell that to Christ.

Luke 6:27-35 But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you, Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you. And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloke forbid not to take thy coat also. Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again. And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them. And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same. And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again. But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.

Some christians seem to pick and choose which of Christs words they listen to.

Upvote 0
P

Phinehas2

Good post but with deception in my view.

The best way to share the good word, is to offer a hand of friendship first.
That’s true, the gospel message challenges people, these are people God wants to come to know Him.

I doubt many people are saved when thumped over the head with a bible,
Well being metaphorically thumped over the head with the Bible isn’t as bad as liberalism makes out, people are going to be challenged by the gospel message whether its delivered gently for people to consider or aggressively as take it or leave it.

and someone screaming "your gonna burn in hell!" in their face.
Of course the gospel messages isn’t ‘your gonna burn in hell’ but ‘your gonna have eternal life through Christ Jesus’ so quite what that’s about I don’t know.

Find the similarities in worship, the word, and the ideas, to establish a connection with them, then show them the difference. Even then do it with love, and you will not have destroyed anything, even when trying to change them.
Reaching Muslims with the gospel has nothing to do with Islam, it is just to do with the gospel of Jesus Christ, I wouldn’t be adverse to letting Muslims use a church as long as the aim was to be able to witness the gospel of Jesus Christ. Remember there may be similarity in the way the two faiths worship styles, but one is worshiping the one true God and the other another god called Allah.

Upvote 0