Church discipline against me. is this a Right? Letter from church attached.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Well, we have a very one-sided version of what has gone on between you and your wife and you and your church. I wonder how we'd counsel you if we had the full picture of what you have - or have not - been doing.

Why aren't you working full-time, if you're able? And why have you not done so, apparently, for many years?

I have a disability that makes work at times painful and dangerous. I am self-employed, doing trade work in peoples' homes. Because of my damaged spine, I have ended up on the floor of a customer's home, unable to rise; at times, I have barely been able to walk out to my truck to drive myself home from some service calls; sometimes, a job will leave me peeing in a bottle for several days, stuck in bed 'til my back calms down. But I still work. I could use my spine problems as a an excuse to sit on my hands all day every day but that would not honor God or my wife. And so I work even when it can possibly mean I'll suffer the pain of a back flare-up and the embarrassment of lying on the floor somewhere unable to get up. As a man who could use the disability card to slack off but doesn't, I ask you, why are you not doing all you can to earn as much as you can in support of your wife?

Church discipline has largely fallen by the wayside in modern times. It seems anachronistic and invasive, not in keeping with the love that many Christians believe over-rides even holiness among believers. Churches are too fractured, the members too remote from one another, for biblical discipline to be effective. And most churches are so full of "leaven" these days that there is little point in leadership embarking upon a course of discipline with any one member.

Paul the apostle wrote that a little leaven, leavens the whole lump." (1 Corinthians 5:6) If you are guilty of laziness, your sin, your "leaven," has the potential effect of "leavening" the whole community of believers of which you're a part. I can see, then, why the Elders of your church have acted to somewhat isolate you from more intimate interaction with fellow believers. I realize we live in a "how dare you?" church culture, that will not tolerate biblical holiness and attempts to foster and protect that holiness by church leadership, but this doesn't make the steps of discipline taken by the Elders toward you wrong, necessarily, only unfashionable.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: charsan
Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟775,045.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
The OP indicated that he does work and pulls in an income. It's just not as much as the wife.
I totally agree with you. What I find abhorrent about the letter is that the church's position sends the wrong message out to people. It tells people that full participation in the church is only for those who have full time jobs and not for those who are unemployed or on low incomes. This is not the gospel that Christ preached. It is blasphemy.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He says he has a job but does not earn as much as his wife. But the words "actually I work constantly about the house" are ambiguous and do not say whether this is as well as, or instead of, paid work.
Well, my verse might help.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,048,570.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And furthermore, the church leaders have no right to ban you from a church Ministry group, which they say is for believers, thus, effectively, doubting your salvation. Salvation is not proved by whether or not we have a full time job/one which the elders deem to be suitable.

Another reason to walk away.

Upvote 0

GospelS

A Daughter of Zion Seeking Her Father in Heaven!
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2017
She is The Land!
✟449,564.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yet, if a wife is home, that's called a job.

I would call that a double standard.

So you don’t agree that a husband is the head of a family and that title comes with a primary duty to provide for and safeguard his family.

If a husband is meeting his primary duty by staying home, then fine, that’s a job.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I totally agree with you. What I find abhorrent about the letter is that the church's position sends the wrong message out to people. It tells people that full participation in the church is only for those who have full time jobs and not for those who are unemployed or on low incomes. This is not the gospel that Christ preached. It is blasphemy.

I just don't think it's the Place of the church to discipline for that. He's not being disruptive to the other members during service.

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
My wife has gone to the pastors at my church and told them I do not work. I do work and have a job, however I just do not make as much money as my wife, actually I work constantly around the house etc. My family has plenty money to make payments house, food, everything. The church deems that I am in violation of first Timothy 5:8 and is in the process of treating me as a nonbeliever. I have attached a letter below from the church would you please read and give me advice. It seems to me they are mis using scriptures. Your careful consideration would be appreciated. See letter from church below.View attachment 259490 Thank you
it's already been asked but not answered so i'll ask it again because it's a very important question to ask if anyone is gonna give you any real counsel and not just knee-jerk reactions.

describe for us the type of work that you do.

• Useful
Reactions: GospelS
Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'd need to know more about the church.

I got enough about the church from the letter. People need to do their part and be productive sure. Which he indicated he felt he was. I see the letter as the churches attempt to exert some type of dominion over the marriage thru the only way it can, church discipline. It also cast a judgment on the individual, which is more like an LDS bishop (Judges in Israel). But the fact is that they are, in a way, interfering in his marriage by shaming him in front of his wife, which only encourages divorce, which is a sin in this case IMO.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I got enough about the church from the letter. People need to do their part and be productive sure. Which he indicated he felt he was. I see the letter as the churches attempt to exert some type of dominion over the marriage thru the only way it can, church discipline. It also cast a judgment on the individual, which is more like an LDS bishop (Judges in Israel). But the fact is that they are, in a way, interfering in his marriage by shaming him in front of his wife, which only encourages divorce, which is a sin in this case IMO.
I can see church discipline for the reasons given. But I would need to know more about their position on sin and grace, the Trinity and similar truths before looking elsewhere.

• Friendly
Reactions: devin553344
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,048,570.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I do largely agree.
Though I suppose, to be charitable, t could be that the church know this man and his situation, feel that he should have a better job than he does and that, as his wife has asked for help, it is right for them to give their judgement.

I think their judgement is way off, but maybe that's how they operate; by sticking to the letter of the Bible and feeling they have a right to rebuke/interfere.

• Friendly
Reactions: devin553344
Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟775,045.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Caring for those who are less well off, those who are less fortunate, showing compassion to the "least of these", including not marginalising others and treating others how we would wish to be treated is pretty rudimentary material that was taught to us at Sunday school. It bewilders me sometimes how many churches that claim to follow Christ teachings don't even have a grasp of the basics. Lord have mercy.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,082,226.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Yet, if a wife is home, that's called a job.

I would call that a double standard.
If the wife is at home and her husband is fine with that, well and good. His wife is not fine and good with the OP staying at home. I'm sure they had no prior agreement before marriage that he would be a stay at home dad. The wife is not fine with being the basic support of the family. We don't know, but it may be there are some serious issues with bills to pay, too.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
What dismays me so often these days is how frequently the need for "compassion" is used by "Christians" as an excuse for sin. If the OP cannot get a full-time job because of circumstances beyond his control, that is one thing; but, if he is just slacking off, indulging in laziness and taking advantage of his wife, that is quite another. The former warrants a compassionate response from believers, the latter, their hearty condemnation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I got enough about the church from the letter.

--and that is a point that so many people are missing.

It doesn't require specifics from him for us to know that the church board is off-base and not even suggesting to him that they would like to hear from him before passing judgment. There is no way that approach can be excused, and it does say something about the character of that church.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,120.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am thinking that the verses quoted may be in the context of early believers living in Christian community.
This church then is trying to apply these principles to an individual family when the dynamic of community and the commitments that go with that, have not been made.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,082,226.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
While you may have been offended by the Church's response to you, right or wrong, that is not the real issue here. The real issue is that you are evidently only working part time and are refusing to do more though your wife wants you to pull your full weight financially.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.