Not open for further replies.

QuantaCura

Rejoice always.
Aug 17, 2005
✟21,762.00
Faith
Catholic
jingwei said:
why do churches have rows of benches that peopel sit on? Why don't people form a crowd around the pastor?

They're called "pews.":cool:

To be honest, it probably has to do with Catholicism. In the Mass during the time before the Reformation until the 1960s, the priest faced the altar with his back to the congregation (except for the sermon and Scripture readings which were done from the pulpit to the side of the altar). Everyone, including the priest, faced the same way--towards the Crucifix, Christ in the tabernacle and due East. The best way to have everyone face the exact same way was rows of benches (some parishes can still do it that way, in fact, I go to one).

I think this style of seating was just maintained after the Reformation. That's just my guess.

Upvote 0

AveMaria

Anglo-Catholic Tat Queen
Aug 2, 2004
✟19,896.00
Faith
Anglican
Politics
US-Democrat
I imagine pews maximize the seating capacity in a defined space.

As an example, let's assume we have a family of four: 2 parents, 2 kids. Look how much less room this family would occupy in a pew, vs. spread out in 4 chairs.

If you're asking, why do we sit, rather than stand, I think a lot of that has to do with keeping things orderly. Can you imagine trying to listen to a sermon if a few dozen children were running around, knocking into the elderly?

And of course, there are those who are incapable of standing for long periods of time. . .

One last thought - in the western world, we associate pews with church, therefore, when we enter the building and see pews, its a symbolic act, and a signal that we are now in church and in sacred space. Also, there's something special and symbolic about not having barriers between you and the people you sit next to.

Upvote 0

McDLT

Apr 12, 2005
Canada
Visit site
✟4,427.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
AveMaria said:
I imagine pews maximize the seating capacity in a defined space.

As an example, let's assume we have a family of four: 2 parents, 2 kids. Look how much less room this family would occupy in a pew, vs. spread out in 4 chairs.

That's how I see it too. Although I should mention, even if the chairs are butted up against each other in a row rather than spread out, you still would be able to fit more in a pew than chairs. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

artybloke

Mar 1, 2004
North of England
✟8,017.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Politics
UK-Labour
To be honest, it probably has to do with Catholicism.

Pews weren't a feature of the medieval church from what I understand. Neither were chairs, in fact. They either stood or sat on the floor. Pews were more a feature of post-Reformation churches, and were often lockable so they could be rented out.

Upvote 0

Joykins

free Crazy Liz!
Jul 14, 2005
Down in Mary's Land
✟29,390.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
My understanding is that the Eastern Orthodox don't sit to worship, is that correct?

Also, we rearranged our chairs this Sunday to form a semicircle of neatly placed chairs, around the pastor. He thought we shouldn't commune with the backs of other people's heads ;) So obviously such configurations exist and churches sometimes use them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.