Visit site
✟8,313.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm glad you posted this thread; it's something I've wondered about myself. I know I needed to work on my own, personal relationship with God before I began looking for a church, so I would be able to resist false teachings, should I run into any in my search.

Upvote 0

patriarch

Mar 6, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
✟1,052.00
Faith
Catholic
Originally posted by TheBear
John 6:48-58

48 I am the bread of life. 49 Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and are dead. 50 This is the bread which comes down from heaven, that one may eat of it and not die. 51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread that I shall give is My flesh, which I shall give for the life of the world." 52 The Jews therefore quarreled among themselves, saying, "How can this Man give us His flesh to eat?" 53 Then Jesus said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. 55 For My flesh is food indeed, and My blood is drink indeed. 56 He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him. 57 As the living Father sent Me, and I live because of the Father, so he who feeds on Me will live because of Me. 58 This is the bread which came down from heaven--not as your fathers ate the manna, and are dead. He who eats this bread will live forever."

Now, compare that passage with Matt 4:4

But He answered and said, "It is written, 'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.' "

What does this tell you?

John

These quotes of our Lord were given in two entirely different contexts. In the one, he is being tempted to turn stones into bread, and in the other he is giving a teaching on the Eucharist. The meaning of the passage from John 6 becomes crystal clear when He says over the bread at the last Supper, "This is my body," and over the wine, "This is my blood."

Keep in mind too, that this was at the passover dinner, in which the Jews were to partake of a lamb without blemish, not only a type of Our Lord, but a type of our Lord in the Eucharist.

Yet it is true, that all these eucharistic teachings are words that come from the mouth of God, by which you may live. He is in fact the Word of God made flesh, which if you eat will give you eternal life, for not by bread alone does man live, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.

Upvote 0

soulsisterclaire

JESUS DIED FOR YOU & ME
Feb 26, 2002
Alabama
Visit site
✟1,279.00
Originally posted by patriarch

These quotes of our Lord were given in two entirely different contexts. In the one, he is being tempted to turn stones into bread, and in the other he is giving a teaching on the Eucharist. The meaning of the passage from John 6 becomes crystal clear when He says over the bread at the last Supper, "This is my body," and over the wine, "This is my blood."

Keep in mind too, that this was at the passover dinner, in which the Jews were to partake of a lamb without blemish, not only a type of Our Lord, but a type of our Lord in the Eucharist.

Yet it is true, that all these eucharistic teachings are words that come from the mouth of God, by which you may live. He is in fact the Word of God made flesh, which if you eat will give you eternal life, for not by bread alone does man live, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.

:confused: Sorry, You lost me. I do not understand what you are saying. Can you say it in simpler terms please?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.