Los Angeles
✟17,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It's so sad to hear all of you talking this way. I don't feel that way about my Church at all.

Forgive me...

There's not many orthodox Churches I'm aware of unless you're in a large city. Do you have to travel far to attend?

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There's not many orthodox Churches I'm aware of unless you're in a large city. Do you have to travel far to attend?
We grew our own in our own town after a few years of driving to Memphis.

13 years now. 85 members. 55 families.

Forgive me...

Reactions: So Cliche
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Jesus followers were NEVER meant to be "armchair Christians" - bashing fellow Christians and fighting over insignificant doctrinal issues.....In essentials unity, in non-essentials liberty!!!

View attachment 209595
Reminds me of the reference to country club christianity in this video.
Thanks for posting.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How does an adult man who was previously a believer decide to become an atheist?

That's a whole other topic with different debatable theories.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
How does an adult man who was previously a believer decide to become an atheist?
It happens. We had a former pastor who used his former evangelical fervor to slam the faith in a local newspaper editorial section for years. You could still see his fundamentalist mindset in action but he was just 180 degrees turned.

I find it odd to wonder how such a thing can't happen when it does happen.

Upvote 0

So Cliche

Oct 6, 2017
Los Angeles
✟17,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It happens. We had a former pastor who used his former evangelical fervor to slam the faith in a local newspaper editorial section for years. You could still see his fundamentalist mindset in action but he was just 180 degrees turned.

I find it odd to wonder how such a thing can't happen when it does happen.

Right, I understand that it happens, but I don't understand the details about that decision making process. Is it spontaneous or gradual? Is triggered by some specific event? Can the person in question articulate the change of heart?

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Right, I understand that it happens, but I don't understand the details about that decision making process. Is it spontaneous or gradual? Is triggered by some specific event? Can the person in question articulate the change of heart?
I should be clear that this was not the pastor of my church and I didn't know him at all personally. He was just a local pastor and he claims he finally saw reason. I suspect in his case it was quite sudden. His real reason? I have no way of knowing all the hows or whys except for his claim that he finally got reason. He was a very hostile person to the faith, at least in words that he got published in the local paper. Then he faded away. Perhaps he has met his maker by now.

Upvote 0