Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Easter comes from the proto-Germanic word for "dawn," which also happens to have been the name of a goddess of fertility/spring etc.

Evidence for that supposed goddess is extremely slim. Basically just one line of unreliable hearsay in Bede.

Somebody told Bede that (centuries before his time) people worshipped such a goddess, but there is no evidence of such a cult at all.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,935.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I was relying on the online etymology dictionary, which is usually pretty good. It might have overstated the case on this one.

Edit: wiki seems to think there's a bit more to the case for an ancient proto-indo-European dawn goddess with a linguistically related name: Ēostre - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was relying on the online etymology dictionary, which is usually pretty good. It might have overstated the case on this one.

It was widely accepted for a long time. It's only in more recent times that people have started pointing out that (1) Bede had no evidence for his statement, and (2) no supporting evidence exists.

Wikipedia gives the case pro and anti, but the pro case relies mostly on that one sentence in Bede, and some linguistic reconstruction. And, in fact, the Germanic fertility goddess was Freyja.

As to the pathway into English, it seems to be due to the fact that Ēosturmōnaþ was the month in which Pascha generally fell.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Arsenios

Russian Orthodox Winter Baptism, Valaam Monastery,
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
You are just wrong (sorry).

"Easter" is a Germanic word meaning "dawn" (from the same root as "East"). Nothing to do with Esther or Ishtar.

The Venerable Bede suggested (based on extremely slim evidence) that "Easter" derived from a Germanic goddess Ēostre, but no other evidence of Ēostre has ever been found, and it's 99% certain that Germanic people never worshipped any such goddess.

Might have been Bede...

The term we end up with from this non-existent Goddess is ESTROGEN,
which is definitely fertility based and female...

I will put it on the back burner...

Arsenios

Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, I WAS Sprinkle-Baptized in the Presbyterian Church some 73 years ago in the Siberia of the Lower 48... But I simply happened to notice you in the new threads section and dropped
I have always understood Easter to be a name given for Esther, which is a woman's name after the Goddes of Fertility, Astar... Perhaps I am just wrong?

Arsenios
Not a problem, I just wondered....
My original post was asking about what others in their church ( which hold to the Westminster Confession) do at this time of year. It seems my comment about what I think of Easter is what most seem interested in which wasn't my intention. I will be more careful how I word questions in the future so as not to go off track!:)

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The term we end up with from this non-existent Goddess is ESTROGEN

Actually, that's not true either. The word estrogen is derived from oestrus (referring to animals "in heat") which comes from the Greek οἶστρος. That Greek word has nothing to do with fertility at all, but refers to a sting that drives people mad.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My original post was asking about what others in their church ( which hold to the Westminster Confession) do at this time of year.

Sorry!

But I think that the answer is still that the majority of Presbyterian/Reformed churches celebrate Easter in a special way, possibly with a Good Friday service, and a minority of Presbyterian/Reformed churches do not. The Puritans in particular were strongly against special feast days.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Arsenios

Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Easter comes from the proto-Germanic word for "dawn," which also happens to have been the name of a goddess of fertility/spring etc.

That would take it out of the Passover of Death which Christ, our Pascha, gives to us...

But I suspect that Christians used it because of its meaning rather than Pagan affiliations; after all, do we not see Christ as the "dawn from on high" which breaks upon us?

He is, and our Churches face East when worshipping... The Morning Star, etc...

Yet this is the Resurrection of Christ - The East is the direction of His Coming Again...

The Ancient Faith calls it Pascha - The Feast of Feasts, less than two weeks away now...

Roast Lamb and all the other foods now forsaken...

Arsenios

Upvote 0

Arsenios

Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Actually, that's not true either. The word estrogen is derived from oestrus (referring to animals "in heat") which comes from the Greek οἶστρος.
So then are you saying that it is not related to the Goddess of Fertility? Maybe her name has a Greek derivation? I mean, they sure sound like cognates to my whiskers! :)

Arsenios

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sorry!

But I think that the answer is still that the majority of Presbyterian/Reformed churches celebrate Easter in a special way, possibly with a Good Friday service, and a minority of Presbyterian/Reformed churches do not. The Puritans in particular were strongly against special feast days.
Yes, thank you for that.
Actually this that you have posted now was exactly what I wanted. Short, clear,concise!:p
I will try to be the same when I post a question:)

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I will try to be the same when I post a question:)

It's not you; it's apparently a tradition on CF to have the same debate about the origin of Easter every year.

But back to the OP: An old Puritan slogan was: "There is no day commanded in scripture to be kept holy under the gospel, but the Lord's day, which is the Christian Sabbath."

And indeed, on a very strict interpretation of the Regulative Principle of Worship, there should be no Good Friday service, since we don't see any such service in the Bible. However, the Easter service is just an ordinary Sunday service with a special theme.

On the other hand, the importance of the Cross in the Bible justifies, for many people, a special day to remember it (Good Friday).

Upvote 0

Arsenios

Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
They sound like cognates, but apparently they are not. Isn't language fun??
Perhaps the homonymic of new day [dawn] and new year [spring] which is inaugurated by Christ's Resurrection from the dead, which re-enlivens creation with the re-creation of life in the spring, and from the sleep of night, is the "estrogen factor" featured here... I personally think Christ would have cringed at the thought of the Life He gives to us being some kind of sunrise or spring season...

The orders of worship of the Old Temple Jewish times are found in the Christian orders of worship, except differently, under other names or under the same names... I am not a student of these, but the general idea is that the Christians were a "legitimate heresy" of the Hebrew Faith - By the standards of the Jews, the only thing wrong with the Christians was this insanity they had believing that a Dead Jew was God... So the two orders of worship were the same, and as the two divided farther and farther apart, they differentiated more and more clearly - I am not a good student here, but the feast of Tabernacles, for instance, has its corresponding place as a Feast in the Early Christian Church and to this day... So it is like that...

And Pascha is the Resurrection, which is the Passover of Death following the Jewish Passover from the Sprinkling of the Blood... Ours has no blood... And Christ passes over death, and indeed IS Himself our Pascha... Because for those who are believing in Christ, the death they die does not give them death, but instead gain, as Paul wrote of Life and death: "To live - Christ... To die - Gain..."

So we have probably chewed this to death enough-already!

Arsenios

Upvote 0

Arsenios

Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
"There is no day commanded in scripture to be kept holy under the gospel,
but the Lord's day,
which is the Christian Sabbath
."

And the Lord's Day is the 8th Day...

Where in Scripture are we commanded to keep the Lord's Day Holy? (Serious question - I do not recall it.)

Thank-you...

Arsenios

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But back to the OP: An old Puritan slogan was: "There is no day commanded in scripture to be kept holy under the gospel, but the Lord's day, which is the Christian Sabbath."
The old Puritans were wrong.

Upvote 0

Arsenios

Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
There was a Mesopotamian goddess of fertility (and war) called Ishtar.
Ishtar | Mesopotamian goddess
This also from Britannica:
Search | Britannica.com
  • Easter from the article Church year
    The term Easter, commemorating the Resurrection of Christ, comes from the Old English ēaster or ēastre, a festival of spring. The Greek and Latin Pascha comes from the Hebrew Pesaḥ, “Passover.” The earliest Christians celebrated the Lord’s Passover at the same time as the Jews, during the night ...
Arsenios

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This also from Britannica:
There has been a lot of discussion on the origin of the word "Easter."

Frankly I do not care as we do not celebrate it. We DO celebrate Passover, Unleavened bread and First Fruits. The latter is when we celebrate HIS Resurrection. As Paul said:

1 Cor 15.20 But now Christ has been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who are asleep. 21 For since by a man came death, by a man also came the resurrection of the dead. 22 For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ all will be made alive. 23 But each in his own order: Christ the first fruits, after that those who are Christ’s at His coming,

Reactions: Arsenios
Upvote 0