NM
✟34,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
We will go ahead this Sunday, but I fully expect the government to direct a suspension of public gatherings after that.

Frankly I think they are taking too long and should have called it already.

Will churches just shut down indefinitely? No Easter, etc?

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,837.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Will churches just shut down indefinitely? No Easter, etc?

I think so. Italy has no church services right now. The Philippines have just made the same call, and have specified that that will continue through Holy Week/Easter. I have heard (but not verified) that Japan has also.

At this stage I fully expect that we will experience Easter in some form of quarantine.

Upvote 0

Margaret3110

Feb 27, 2020
NM
✟34,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think so. Italy has no church services right now. The Philippines have just made the same call, and have specified that that will continue through Holy Week/Easter. I have heard (but not verified) that Japan has also.

At this stage I fully expect that we will experience Easter in some form of quarantine.

I am having a hard time with this. My father and husband are both going through medical treatment (cancer etc) and I have a young child with autism. Now church and communion is being taken away on top of the stress of everything shutting down.

• Prayers
Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,837.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I do understand why it is hard.

It might help to think of it like this; by not gathering, we slow the spread of the virus; and we know that the more it is slowed, the fewer people will die. If we are prepared to sacrifice our communal worship, we will be doing the single most powerful thing we can to save the lives of the frailest and most vulnerable folks in our community.

It is hard, but it is an act of love.

• Friendly
Reactions: seeking.IAM
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Now here is a kick in the seat of the pants...my Rector just sent out the latest guidance prior to Sunday services. Holy water stoups have been emptied, no touching, intinction discouraged, coffee hour canceled :astonished:, and - worst of all for me - those who are displaying symptoms including dry cough "should stay home." I've taken medicine for years that has a side effect of dry cough. I've coughed for years before Covid-19 and I'll cough for years after Covid-19 fades into oblivion, but now I have to stay out of church until the panic subsides.

It's a wee bit awkward to sit in a room and feel like you're making others feel uneasy because you have a medically induced cough prescribed by your doctor. I guess I'l be out of church for awhile. Sigh. :disappointed:

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I've taken medicine for years that has a side effect of dry cough.

I also take meds that give me a dry cough as a side effect. I do wonder if, when I cough, I'm worrying the people around me.

But, as of this afternoon, our bishop has cancelled all church services in the diocese until Palm Sunday, so I guess worrying my fellow parishioners won't be an issue for a while.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
... I've taken medicine for years that has a side effect of dry cough... It's a wee bit awkward to sit in a room and feel like you're making others feel uneasy

I also take meds that give me a dry cough as a side effect. I do wonder if, when I cough, I'm worrying the people around me...

It gives those of us who have legit allergies and dry coughs a notion of what it must have been like to be a leper, doesn't it - to be suspect, feared, and avoided.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟566,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I just returned from a clericus and my bishop advised us to at least maintain a normal schedule if not adding more services such as a weekday litany. Intinction, in our parishes, is always done exclusively by the chalicist (ie. the lay do not dip the host themselves). The local Episcopal and Methodist dioceses have canceled services for three weeks, last I heard. My parish is scrambling to find ways to advertise that we are open. We may be the only place in town running a communion service today.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,837.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I've hit a wall today. Trying to write my sermon for Sunday, but can't really organise my thoughts because I have no idea whether, by Sunday, we'll be meeting at all, we'll be meeting for a liturgy that's very different to usual (one suggestion here has been that we drop all the optional parts of the liturgy, keep the homily short and have everyone out in half an hour), or trying to persevere with something approximating business-as-usual. How can I know what to say when I don't know in what context I'll be speaking?

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have always thought that it is good and productive thing when clergy labor over a sermon. It demonstrates how much they care, and I have to think that the end result is better and closer to the "right thing" had they not struggled at all. It will come to you. "Be still and wait patiently for the Lord." Psalm 37:7

• Friendly
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,837.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thanks, seeking.

Parish council have just met, and I have a bit more of a sense of how we're travelling. This Sunday, at least, will be the cut-down, bare-bones Eucharistic liturgy. (The aim is to be in the building together for no more than half an hour).

So with that decision made I can look at the readings again and see how I think they speak to where we are...

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟566,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
That sounds like a Navy approved communion service! My ship had a Lutheran chaplain who had pared his communion service down to 25 minutes and he spent 10 minutes on the homily.

We have a supper and Evening Prayer service tonight. I was able to acquire the fish I need to make Hungarian fish soup. I even managed to get some rolls to serve with it (I am a bad baker and don't relish the idea of baking home-made rolls or really any kind of bread). This service is always lightly attended, perhaps 8-10 people.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,837.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thanks, seeking.

We now have community transmission of the virus recorded within a suburb of here, so I am not feeling that it is very far from my parish community at all.

If I had prevailed last night, we would have suspended all services already; but parish council aren't at that point yet. I think they think it won't come to that. I think they're kidding themselves.

Also, numpty of the day award goes to the parish councillor who responded to me asking, rhetorically, "What's my duty of care?" with, "You don't have one."

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,082.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Thanks, seeking.

We now have community transmission of the virus recorded within a suburb of here, so I am not feeling that it is very far from my parish community at all.

If I had prevailed last night, we would have suspended all services already; but parish council aren't at that point yet. I think they think it won't come to that. I think they're kidding themselves.

Also, numpty of the day award goes to the parish councillor who responded to me asking, rhetorically, "What's my duty of care?" with, "You don't have one."
Wait, that's a call for council?

Upvote 0