NM
✟34,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My state now has cases of COVID-19 and our governor has recommended, among other things, that people not go to church. I know other places such as Italy have shut churches down. So far, my Episcopal congregation is still meeting on Sundays and still offering the common cup although we have stopped physical contact at the sign of peace.

How is your church responding to the coronavirus and what are your thoughts?

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My state now has cases of COVID-19 and our governor has recommended, among other things, that people not go to church. I know other places such as Italy have shut churches down. So far, my Episcopal congregation is still meeting on Sundays and still offering the common cup although we have stopped physical contact at the sign of peace.

Last week was still early for many places in the U.S. for this virus (places where it had not yet shown up locally in the news, but we now know it has been spreading silently though).

Our pastor talked on sharing the peace in ways that were 'comfortable' to avoid risking spreading things like flu, colds, and more, and that our church would follow the general health recommendations in the future, even if needed to bring communion to those that wanted to stay home and such (!).

Here's a useful link, which many different churches could use, for general guidelines

Worship Practices for Flu/Virus Season | Western PA Conference of The UMC
(this isn't our denomination, but was a good link)

We did Share the Peace generally without contact. I used a peace sign of 2 fingers and some waves, usually from several feet away, since I've had a very mild occasional cough for a while which seemed to be a lingering cold from the previous week, but it is wiser to be more cautious, since we have many older members. I didn't cough during service at all though.

We use hand sanitizer before communion. The pastor washes hands. (I did too though I wasn't helping serve)

We will likely do the same this coming week, as we are not in a hot spot area here. Assuming that is we don't suddenly found out about a local outbreak.

I think going forward that even a cough means one should stay home, as the virus could arrive silently in the area, without us realizing it. It's caring towards older members (over 70), and those who have elderly at home.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,182.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
The Diocese of Mass just issued directives about that today. No physical contact during the piece, no passing of the plate, the Eucharist is being consecrated in both kinds, but only the host is being offered. Host will only be offered in the form of wafers instead of leavened bread, and the wine will in most cases be disposed without being consumed. Also, a lot of hand sanitizer.

• Friendly
Reactions: anjelica
Upvote 0

charsan

Charismatic Episcopal Church
Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Mine has not changed we still offer the common cup. Of course we only have 8 people on an average Sunday

Upvote 0

Margaret3110

Feb 27, 2020
NM
✟34,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The Diocese of Mass just issued directives about that today. No physical contact during the piece, no passing of the plate, the Eucharist is being consecrated in both kinds, but only the host is being offered. Host will only be offered in the form of wafers instead of leavened bread, and the wine will in most cases be disposed without being consumed. Also, a lot of hand sanitizer.

They're going to pour out the consecrated wine?

Upvote 0

Margaret3110

Feb 27, 2020
NM
✟34,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Into the ground, which is already practice where there is too much to be disposed up by consuming it.

So there isn't any rule that *someone* has to partake of the wine? I used to be Roman Catholic and the priest would always consume the wine even if it wasn't offered to the congregation. I know Anglican theology has traditionally stressed that both kinds be offered to the people.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They're going to pour out the consecrated wine?

Into the ground, which is already practice where there is too much to be disposed up by consuming it.
As they also do in the RCC when washing the utensils. There is a sink with drain that goes straight to the ground, often (always?) with a cross on the sink basin to denote it is only to be used for this purpose.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Currently, we're still offering the common cup, but no longer intinction (lest germy fingers contact the wine). The priest has also reminded us that we may choose to receive bread only. No physical contact during the peace.

If things get worse, we've talked about offering Morning Prayer through an electronic medium (podcast, Google Hangouts, something like that). Communion wouldn't be possible if we're not physically together, but electronic communication can give us a form of connection in our Sunday worship.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,012,478.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
From what I remember as an altar boy nearly 6 decades ago, more than willingly ....... Then a little rosy in the cheeks finishing up mass...

He only puts a tiny drop of wine in the chalice.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,012,478.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
From what I remember as an altar boy nearly 6 decades ago, more than willingly ....... Then a little rosy in the cheeks finishing up mass...

Then you were at a different church my friend.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Then you were at a different church my friend.
No, he had a little problem and got sent away for six months or so. The other priest at the parish was fine, also headed up youth ministry and filled in while the pastor was away ( no names spoken here Lost but I still remember them both).. It was a great church all in all, the pastor returned but then we moved away. He was a nice enough guy but liked his chalice full so to speak, more wine than water.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Margaret3110

Feb 27, 2020
NM
✟34,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
As they also do in the RCC when washing the utensils. There is a sink with drain that goes straight to the ground, often (always?) with a cross on the sink basin to denote it is only to be used for this purpose.

I know this but the priest always consumes most of the wine. I've never heard of consecrating it and then pouring it out without anyone partaking of it?

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,242.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
We've put in place a no handshake rule, and from this Sunday we'll use the common cup with the priest intincting the wafers for everyone. (Ie. No actual sipping from the cup except to finish the leftovers).

We are also planning for services being shut down; I'm putting in place a phone check-in system between parishioners and planning more email communication. We're not really set up technologically for streaming services or anything like that, nor do I think my folks would find that satisfactory, but I might send around links to things to read and reflect on.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Our state currently has very few virus cases but even so the local Episcopal cathedral just announced they’ve stopped offering the communion wine, suggested no contact at the ‘offering of peace’ and have removed the water from the mini founts as you enter the church.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Last Sunday my church issued guidance that Christ cannot be co-divided and consuming the host alone was sufficient. The was strong emphasis on not partaking by intinction, and avoiding physical contact at the peace. My observation was that many drank from the cup anyway (as did I), many by intinction anyway, and many shaking hands anyway.

This week we canceled mid week Eucharist. No word yet on Sunday, but I think our church in general is very against canceling services for any reason. I could be wrong though and I'm waiting to see.

Last edited:
Upvote 0