MIdwest
✟12,474.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hello! This is my home page at my site churchageisdifferent.com. I was just hoping for some feedback. Thanks!

Hello Believers!

Can the answer to one question change your entire understanding of the Bible?

Yes, it can.

It did for me.

“WHY do you claim eternal security?”

(If you don’t believe in eternal security (ES), keep reading. This applies to you, too!)

Now, before you go grab your favorite commentaries, don’t. Please just use your Bible and concordance first. It’s important to check into it yourself first so as to not prejudice yourself with others’ opinions. See what you find in the Bible itself.

Please take your time. Go no further in this article until you’re done.

Ready?

I’m going to start off with what I found online.

I’m looking into WHY we have eternal security; the specific reason. Not ‘show me the verses,’ but why do the verses say what they say.

Here’s what I found on some popular online sites:

Bible.org says we’re protected by the power of God thru faith and the overwhelming sufficiency of the person and work of Christ…. Certainly, believers are secure in Christ and cannot lose their salvation, a salvation accomplished by the finished work of the Savior who sits victoriously at God’s right hand to plead our case…. https://bible.org/seriespage/14-assurance-eternal-security

Got Questions says our eternal security is a result of God keeping us, not us maintaining our own salvation. Our eternal security is based on God's love for those whom He has redeemed. Our eternal security is purchased by Christ, promised by the Father, and sealed by the Holy Spirit. Eternal security - is it biblical?

GTY.org says our peace with God and standing in grace are not precarious--we are on firm ground. God holds us, and that's His work. But it is our responsibility to obey Him. Why? Because one of the ways God keeps us is by empowering us with His Spirit to walk in obedience. When you see someone who once claimed to be a Christian but abandons the faith, remember 1 John 2:19: "They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us." True Christians continue to persevere.

If anyone attacks the security of the believer, first of all he is attacking God and claiming He changed His verdict. Second, he is attacking Christ and claiming His work on the cross was inadequate and that His high-priestly work can't maintain us. Finally, he is attacking the Holy Spirit and claiming He is inadequate to help the believer persevere. A discrediting of the Trinity is wrapped up in a denial of the security of salvation. http://www.gty.org/resources/study-guides/40-5180/eternal-security

Bibleprophecyblog.com says the doctrine of the security of the believer is not an isolated doctrine, but is tightly coupled with two other doctrines: the depravity of the unsaved (inability to obtain salvation apart from a work initiated by God) and election—that God elects some to salvation. The reason believers are secure is tied directly to their election by God which, in turn, is necessitated due to all their faculties having been marred by sin to the degree that, unaided, they do not seek God (Rom. 3:10-11; 10:20 cf. Ps. 53:2-3). Surely Old Testament and post-Rapture saints are just as much in need of election in order to respond to God as Church-Age saints (Rom. 8:29-30)? Can Tribulation Saints Lose Their Salvation?

Though these articles differ somewhat one from another, I think what they're trying to say is they believe we’re secure due to the power of God and the sufficiency of Jesus’ finished work.

GotQuestions says sealed by the Holy Spirit.

GTY says true Christians obey and persevere. It also says if you deny eternal security, you’re attacking the Trinity.

BPB says we’re secure because we’re God’s elect.

Other sites say other things, but since this was a good sampling, I’ll go with these. It’s at this point you can check out your favorite authors as well.

Well, here’s my dilemma.

I completely agree that God the Father is all powerful, Jesus’ work was all-sufficient and that the Holy Spirit can help a believer persevere, BUT I don’t think those are what provide our security.

Salvation, yes. Security, no. Two different things that are typically lumped together as one.

Let’s look closer at a sentence in GotQuestions’ article.

‘Our eternal security is purchased by Christ, promised by the Father, and sealed by the Holy Spirit.’

I believe they’re on the right track but they’re, again, using salvation and security interchangeably, as if they had the same meaning.

(Stick with me, folks. I'm going somewhere with this!)

I would reword what they said to this: Our salvation is purchased by Christ, promised or empowered by the Father, and aided by the Holy Spirit.

And then addressing eternal security, I would say this: We are eternally secure due to the indwelling Holy Spirit.

Here’s why I’d say that.

2 Corinthians 1:21-22
Now He who establishes us with you in Christ and anointed us is God,22 who also sealed us and gave us the Spirit in our hearts as a pledge.

Ephesians 1:11-14 11 In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will, 12 in order that we, who were the first to put our hope in Christ, might be for the praise of his glory. 13 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory.

So to answer the question at the beginning of this note as to WHY we’re secure, it’s because of the indwelling Holy Spirit.

He provides our security. He’s our down payment, our earnest deposit, our guarantee. We can grieve Him -- and often do -- but we cannot lose Him. Praise God!

Now let’s say that again but stress another point that we need to look at.

He provides our security. He’s our down payment, our earnest deposit, Our guarantee. We can grieve Him -- and often do -- but we cannot lose Him. Praise God!

Who’s we? Who gets to claim this sealing/pledge/guarantee?

That answer is back in Paul’s epistle to the Ephesians.

Ephesians 1:13-14 13 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory.

Notice in v. 14 the word ‘until.’ Now look at Ephesians 4:30.

Ephesians 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

Although this verse is talking about our behavior and how we Church Age believers should walk with God, verse 30 repeats that same ‘until’ found in 1:14.

We’re sealed unto/until the day of redemption. Well, obviously, we were redeemed the moment we trusted in Jesus’ death/shed blood, burial and resurrection, so what day of redemption is it talking about?

The redemption of our bodies at the Rapture (Romans 8:23).

The Holy Spirit is promised to us for the entire time we’ll need Him, meaning until the Rapture when we receive our eternal, glorified bodies. That means He's taken up permanent residence within us until we're made complete, body and spirit. At that time we'll have the full promised inheritance and won't need a 'deposit' any longer!

So since the answer to "who's we?" is found by looking at WHEN, and we can see this security is promised ONLY between Acts 2 and the Rapture -- in other words, the Church Age -- "WE" must be Church Age believers! "WE" is us!

There are many verses that talk about salvation throughout the Bible, folks. I get that. They talk about all the many wonderful attributes of the Godhead, and rightly so. But verses confirming our SECURITY are found only in the books that are directed to the Church because that’s the only time that security is given!

I believe those books are Paul’s epistles TO the Church of Romans thru Philemon and also in Acts. OUTSIDE those books you will find many verses, concepts, teachings, parables, etc., that show just the opposite regarding security.

All that to say I’m pretty sure most of us agree that the Holy Spirit does this internal action in the Church; I’m just not sure if you believe that’s the source of our security (as I now do) or if that’s just a fact but not a factor in the ES debate.

So if after your research into this matter you still agree with the articles listed at the beginning of this note that basically because we’re saved, we’re secure, then that’s fine. So be it.

But if after your research you believe that – even though our salvation comes from the power of God and the sufficiency of Jesus’ finished work on the cross – our security comes from the indwelling Holy Spirit, and the only time the Holy Spirit guarantees an INTERNAL ACTION within a believer is now, during the Church Age, then, go on from there! Keep studying!

IF the above is true –

-- THEN does the Holy Spirit indwell/seal anyone else? Ever?

-- THEN when Jesus says in Matthew 6:14-15 “14 For if you forgive others for their transgressions, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive others, then your Father will not forgive your transgressions. – is He speaking to you, the Church? (See Synoptic Gospels.)

-- THEN when James says a man is justified by works and not by faith alone, it’s true? (James is not written by Paul to the Church or about the Church. James is talking OUTSIDE the Church Age!)

-- THEN can you see why even ‘believers’ who receive the mark in the Tribulation are eternally damned? (The Tribulation is outside of Church Age!)

-- THEN does ‘maintaining’ and ‘persevering’ in Revelation mean exactly what it says?

-- THEN…

Know what you believe and follow through with it!

churchageisdifferent.com

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello! This is my home page at my site churchageisdifferent.com. I was just hoping for some feedback. Thanks!

Hello Believers!

Can the answer to one question change your entire understanding of the Bible?

Yes, it can.

It did for me.

(If you don’t believe in eternal security (ES), keep reading. This applies to you, too!)

Now, before you go grab your favorite commentaries, don’t. Please just use your Bible and concordance first. It’s important to check into it yourself first so as to not prejudice yourself with others’ opinions. See what you find in the Bible itself.

Please take your time. Go no further in this article until you’re done.

Ready?

I’m going to start off with what I found online.

I’m looking into WHY we have eternal security; the specific reason. Not ‘show me the verses,’ but why do the verses say what they say.

Here’s what I found on some popular online sites:

Bible.org says we’re protected by the power of God thru faith and the overwhelming sufficiency of the person and work of Christ…. Certainly, believers are secure in Christ and cannot lose their salvation, a salvation accomplished by the finished work of the Savior who sits victoriously at God’s right hand to plead our case…. https://bible.org/seriespage/14-assurance-eternal-security

Got Questions says our eternal security is a result of God keeping us, not us maintaining our own salvation. Our eternal security is based on God's love for those whom He has redeemed. Our eternal security is purchased by Christ, promised by the Father, and sealed by the Holy Spirit. Eternal security - is it biblical?

GTY.org says our peace with God and standing in grace are not precarious--we are on firm ground. God holds us, and that's His work. But it is our responsibility to obey Him. Why? Because one of the ways God keeps us is by empowering us with His Spirit to walk in obedience. When you see someone who once claimed to be a Christian but abandons the faith, remember 1 John 2:19: "They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us." True Christians continue to persevere.

If anyone attacks the security of the believer, first of all he is attacking God and claiming He changed His verdict. Second, he is attacking Christ and claiming His work on the cross was inadequate and that His high-priestly work can't maintain us. Finally, he is attacking the Holy Spirit and claiming He is inadequate to help the believer persevere. A discrediting of the Trinity is wrapped up in a denial of the security of salvation. http://www.gty.org/resources/study-guides/40-5180/eternal-security

Bibleprophecyblog.com says the doctrine of the security of the believer is not an isolated doctrine, but is tightly coupled with two other doctrines: the depravity of the unsaved (inability to obtain salvation apart from a work initiated by God) and election—that God elects some to salvation. The reason believers are secure is tied directly to their election by God which, in turn, is necessitated due to all their faculties having been marred by sin to the degree that, unaided, they do not seek God (Rom. 3:10-11; 10:20 cf. Ps. 53:2-3). Surely Old Testament and post-Rapture saints are just as much in need of election in order to respond to God as Church-Age saints (Rom. 8:29-30)? Can Tribulation Saints Lose Their Salvation?

Though these articles differ somewhat one from another, I think what they're trying to say is they believe we’re secure due to the power of God and the sufficiency of Jesus’ finished work.

GotQuestions says sealed by the Holy Spirit.

GTY says true Christians obey and persevere. It also says if you deny eternal security, you’re attacking the Trinity.

BPB says we’re secure because we’re God’s elect.

Other sites say other things, but since this was a good sampling, I’ll go with these. It’s at this point you can check out your favorite authors as well.

Well, here’s my dilemma.

I completely agree that God the Father is all powerful, Jesus’ work was all-sufficient and that the Holy Spirit can help a believer persevere, BUT I don’t think those are what provide our security.

Salvation, yes. Security, no. Two different things that are typically lumped together as one.

Let’s look closer at a sentence in GotQuestions’ article.

‘Our eternal security is purchased by Christ, promised by the Father, and sealed by the Holy Spirit.’

I believe they’re on the right track but they’re, again, using salvation and security interchangeably, as if they had the same meaning.

(Stick with me, folks. I'm going somewhere with this!)

I would reword what they said to this: Our salvation is purchased by Christ, promised or empowered by the Father, and aided by the Holy Spirit.

And then addressing eternal security, I would say this: We are eternally secure due to the indwelling Holy Spirit.

Here’s why I’d say that.

2 Corinthians 1:21-22
Now He who establishes us with you in Christ and anointed us is God,22 who also sealed us and gave us the Spirit in our hearts as a pledge.

Ephesians 1:11-14 11 In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will, 12 in order that we, who were the first to put our hope in Christ, might be for the praise of his glory. 13 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory.

So to answer the question at the beginning of this note as to WHY we’re secure, it’s because of the indwelling Holy Spirit.

He provides our security. He’s our down payment, our earnest deposit, our guarantee. We can grieve Him -- and often do -- but we cannot lose Him. Praise God!

Now let’s say that again but stress another point that we need to look at.

He provides our security. He’s our down payment, our earnest deposit, Our guarantee. We can grieve Him -- and often do -- but we cannot lose Him. Praise God!

Who’s we? Who gets to claim this sealing/pledge/guarantee?

That answer is back in Paul’s epistle to the Ephesians.

Ephesians 1:13-14 13 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory.

Notice in v. 14 the word ‘until.’ Now look at Ephesians 4:30.

Ephesians 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

Although this verse is talking about our behavior and how we Church Age believers should walk with God, verse 30 repeats that same ‘until’ found in 1:14.

We’re sealed unto/until the day of redemption. Well, obviously, we were redeemed the moment we trusted in Jesus’ death/shed blood, burial and resurrection, so what day of redemption is it talking about?

The redemption of our bodies at the Rapture (Romans 8:23).

The Holy Spirit is promised to us for the entire time we’ll need Him, meaning until the Rapture when we receive our eternal, glorified bodies. That means He's taken up permanent residence within us until we're made complete, body and spirit. At that time we'll have the full promised inheritance and won't need a 'deposit' any longer!

So since the answer to "who's we?" is found by looking at WHEN, and we can see this security is promised ONLY between Acts 2 and the Rapture -- in other words, the Church Age -- "WE" must be Church Age believers! "WE" is us!

There are many verses that talk about salvation throughout the Bible, folks. I get that. They talk about all the many wonderful attributes of the Godhead, and rightly so. But verses confirming our SECURITY are found only in the books that are directed to the Church because that’s the only time that security is given!

I believe those books are Paul’s epistles TO the Church of Romans thru Philemon and also in Acts. OUTSIDE those books you will find many verses, concepts, teachings, parables, etc., that show just the opposite regarding security.

All that to say I’m pretty sure most of us agree that the Holy Spirit does this internal action in the Church; I’m just not sure if you believe that’s the source of our security (as I now do) or if that’s just a fact but not a factor in the ES debate.

So if after your research into this matter you still agree with the articles listed at the beginning of this note that basically because we’re saved, we’re secure, then that’s fine. So be it.

But if after your research you believe that – even though our salvation comes from the power of God and the sufficiency of Jesus’ finished work on the cross – our security comes from the indwelling Holy Spirit, and the only time the Holy Spirit guarantees an INTERNAL ACTION within a believer is now, during the Church Age, then, go on from there! Keep studying!

IF the above is true –

-- THEN does the Holy Spirit indwell/seal anyone else? Ever?

-- THEN when Jesus says in Matthew 6:14-15 “14 For if you forgive others for their transgressions, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive others, then your Father will not forgive your transgressions. – is He speaking to you, the Church? (See Synoptic Gospels.)

-- THEN when James says a man is justified by works and not by faith alone, it’s true? (James is not written by Paul to the Church or about the Church. James is talking OUTSIDE the Church Age!)

-- THEN can you see why even ‘believers’ who receive the mark in the Tribulation are eternally damned? (The Tribulation is outside of Church Age!)

-- THEN does ‘maintaining’ and ‘persevering’ in Revelation mean exactly what it says?

-- THEN…

Know what you believe and follow through with it!

churchageisdifferent.com
The tribulation is inside of the Church Age.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for reading!
I liked it. It rings true to me. I am not sure whether there will be any true believers in the world after the Rapture takes place. It seems that the day of grace is over and that although people will profess religion it will not be true saving faith.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi Pam and welcome to the forums!
I am not sure whether there will be any true believers in the world after the Rapture takes place. It seems that the day of grace is over and that although people will profess religion it will not be true saving faith.
That was the belief system I grew up with; that when the rapture happened the Holy Spirit was withdrawn from the earth and no one was able to repent or to die.

Since becoming Messianic back in the 90s, I lean more toward a post-trib rapture.

Upvote 0

PamCAID

Jan 20, 2018
MIdwest
✟12,474.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I believe He will definitely be here, just not in His Church-Age role, sealing believers. People can get saved, for sure, but no indwelling, therefore, they must do what Hebrews through Revelation say they must do -- obey, persevere, etc.

Thanks for reading!

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Hi Pam and welcome to the forums!

That was the belief system I grew up with; that when the rapture happened the Holy Spirit was withdrawn from the earth and no one was able to repent or to die.

Since becoming Messianic back in the 90s, I lean more toward a post-trib rapture.
You could be right in some way, because there are many persecuted people around the world who believe they are going through their tribulation right now, especially the Christians who were murdered by ISIS, and who are still being hounded and killed by extreme Muslims in Arab countries.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums