Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Just for precautionary measures, if this Church doesn't work out what one looks like a good next choice?

If you're really insistent on a conservative church, one of the Baptists is probably the safest, in the sense of being the most "generic" Christian and the least likely to teach something "weird." But it's hard to tell from their web pages whether you'll find them attractive. The Chardon Baptist Church is particularly hard to read, as their web page says almost nothing. The New Testament Baptist Church looked Calvinist, which at one point bothered you. I'm not sure whether it still does.

The Chardon Baptist Church appears to be part of the General Association of Regular Baptist Churches. If so, that's a very conservative group. Again, you may not care, but I sure would. It does not appear to be Calvinist or to have any other weirdness other than conservatism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AndrewK9

Sep 15, 2012
Planet Earth
✟15,677.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's all a matter of perspective. I think conservative churches mix Scripture with tradition, and that the ELCA and other mainline churches are closer to the original intent. I'm not trying to get into an argument over inerrancy. My concern is that if the OP doesn't know the issues, he may think the ELCA and other mainline denominations just don't care about Scripture, when in fact we care a lot. We think conservatives are imposing an agenda of their own. (I'm a member of the PCUSA, but on these issues we are very similar to the ELCA.)

Well I realize people can hold a bias for their denomination..I am just expressing my view.

Upvote 0

AndrewK9

Sep 15, 2012
Planet Earth
✟15,677.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Just for precautionary measures, if this Church doesn't work out what one looks like a good next choice?

hedrick said it pretty well. One of the Baptist churches I guess. Not trying to be bias or anything, but when I had been 'church hunting' I found the Baptist church to be the only decent spiritual home in my area.

Upvote 0

Soverinth

Nov 14, 2012
✟16,158.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Mind if i ask Hedrick about something you said in my predestination post. You said my situation is surprisingly similar to Luther's

Can i ask in what ways that is?

Even though it's pretty self explanatory, Martin Luther was the one who stared Lutheranism right? aka "Luther"

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Mind if i ask Hedrick about something you said in my predestination post. You said my situation is surprisingly similar to Luther's

Can i ask in what ways that is?

Even though it's pretty self explanatory, Martin Luther was the one who stared Lutheranism right? aka "Luther"

Luther had a really hard time believing he was saved. He was a brilliant guy who had been a monk, trying to get closer to God. But that didn't do it. He was never sure he had repented carefully enough, sincerely enough, and that he hadn't forgotten a sin. If you read a biography, I think you'd see yourself in him. Not only did he find it hard to believe that he had done everything he needed to, the theology at the time made it unclear what exactly he had to do.

Part of this was the Catholic theology at the time. (There have been adjustments since then.) It taught that you had to do everything you could on your own, and God would then give you his grace. It also understood passages in the Bible that talked about the righteousness of God as speaking of his moral perfection, and thus emphasizing the difficulty that we have relating to him.

Luther's change started when he realized that for Paul at least, God's righteousness is not something that isolates us from him, but rather his commitment to save us. (Since then we've learned a bit. It's now clear that righteousness for Paul was actually covenant righteousness, God's commitment to honor his covenant and save his people even though they had rebelled. However this is a minor adjustment. Luther was right that God's righteousness is good news for us, not the bad news he had thought it was.)

He came to understand God as someone who is committed to saving us despite our sin and rebellion. In theory all Protestant concepts of faith are based on this insight, however some Protestants have gotten far enough from Luther that they have almost recreated the theology he opposed. (Just as in my view many Christians have managed without realizing it to recreate the thought of Jesus' opponents, the Pharisees.) One problem is that Luther's insights are hard to state simply. It's very easy to turn his ideas into systems that look like his but differ in subtle but significant ways.

In theory both Lutherans and Reformed should maintain his original insights, though in my view some traditional Reformed thought lost sight of some key aspects of it. I don't know Lutheran history as well, but I believe modern Lutherans have some differences from Luther's original theology as well, though I'm not sure how serious.

Luther is an interesting guy. In my opinion he was the most brilliant theologian of the Reformation, though not always the most systematic. Calvin was more inclined to tidy things up and produce a reliable systematic whole. Calvin was as brilliant a Biblical commentator as Luther was a theologian. The skills are related but not identical.

Luther also had the bad luck of having people following him around and taking down everything he said, even at dinner. He was a man of his time, who tends to look rather uncouth at times in his informal talk.

I find Luther's theology the most interesting and attractive of any I know. I'm just not sure he's entirely right about what Jesus meant. But then, most Christians (liberal and conservative) don't share my commitment to making sure that all theology is based on Jesus' teachings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Girder of Loins

Future Math Teacher
Dec 5, 2010
United States of America
✟18,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I read Chadron Christian Fellowship's statement of faith and agreed with it, so I would choose them(as I believe the gifts given to the apostles are readily available to us). I would say to read each churches statement of faith(usually in the "about us" tab), and see if you agree with what they say.

Upvote 0

Soverinth

Nov 14, 2012
✟16,158.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I read Chadron Christian Fellowship's statement of faith and agreed with it, so I would choose them(as I believe the gifts given to the apostles are readily available to us). I would say to read each churches statement of faith(usually in the "about us" tab), and see if you agree with what they say.

CCF was actually my first choice for a while because 1)They are on the street i live on so within walking distance and 2)It seemed like they were alright.

But i don't know i'm skeptical. I've been there twice and did the sinners prayer twice. The first time it happened was when they had a guest speaker. After that my life went back to normal nothing changed. I went back a second time to talk to the pastor privately about why i don't think i am saved. And we didn't do the sinners prayer but we went over Romans 10:9 and we talked about since i confessed that Jesus is Lord and that i need him as a savior that chances are i'm saved. But i don't know, haven't really noticed a change since then either.

Upvote 0

Girder of Loins

Future Math Teacher
Dec 5, 2010
United States of America
✟18,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
CCF was actually my first choice for a while because 1)They are on the street i live on so within walking distance and 2)It seemed like they were alright.

But i don't know i'm skeptical. I've been there twice and did the sinners prayer twice. The first time it happened was when they had a guest speaker. After that my life went back to normal nothing changed. I went back a second time to talk to the pastor privately about why i don't think i am saved. And we didn't do the sinners prayer but we went over Romans 10:9 and we talked about since i confessed that Jesus is Lord and that i need him as a savior that chances are i'm saved. But i don't know, haven't really noticed a change since then either.

Well these things do take time. Took me almost seven years before I had my first life-changing event with God. Not everyone gets saved and then immediately starts preaching to the masses and has no worries about anything. It is dying to yourself everyday, letting God slowly chisel away the parts that are not of Him. This process may take days, weeks, months, or years. Rarely does it take a few moments.

Upvote 0

Soverinth

Nov 14, 2012
✟16,158.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well these things do take time. Took me almost seven years before I had my first life-changing event with God. Not everyone gets saved and then immediately starts preaching to the masses and has no worries about anything. It is dying to yourself everyday, letting God slowly chisel away the parts that are not of Him. This process may take days, weeks, months, or years. Rarely does it take a few moments.

The thing is that when i left the church the second time i was confident. Happy for the most part. Then later that day when i was going to the range to shoot with my dad, these thoughts all came back.

I honestly don't think i would be in constant sadness and doubt if i was saved. There should be at least some joy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single

Right. But my concern isn't that he misunderstands (by now I think he's getting it), but that this is a bad sign for that church.

That they would suggest this twice and not help him in other ways suggests either that they didn't understand his situation or that their theology is shallow. They did at least give him a copy of the Bible to go with the sinner's prayer, but still, they left him with the impression that saying the prayer was going to change things instantly.

Of course I teach teenagers myself, and I'd hate to be judged by what they think they heard in class ...

Upvote 0

Soverinth

Nov 14, 2012
✟16,158.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Adding a side note that in the bible there is one verse that says "There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love."

This is just one good example of my non-salvation. I wouldn't have to fear Hell or the Rapture all the time if i was saved. Occasional doubt for most yes but, this has been a daily thing for me for 3 to 4 weeks now.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Adding a side note that in the bible there is one verse that says "There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love."

This is just one good example of my non-salvation. I wouldn't have to fear Hell or the Rapture all the time if i was saved. Occasional doubt for most yes but, this has been a daily thing for me for 3 to 4 weeks now.

That passage is intended to provide reassurance, not condemnation. The point is that you need not fear. It was never intended to provide a basis for you to judge yourself. Indeed the perfect love is at least in part God's love of us.

Upvote 0

Soverinth

Nov 14, 2012
✟16,158.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That passage is intended to provide reassurance, not condemnation. The point is that you need not fear. It was never intended to provide a basis for you to judge yourself. Indeed the perfect love is at least in part God's love of us.

oh... well alright then..:doh1: my bad..

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Hmm well thanks that clears that up. At this moment im watcing the movie called Luther. Watched it yesterday, thought it was really good so im watching it again.

Heres the link:
Luther (2003) English christian FULL movie - YouTube

The film unfortunately doesn't do a very good job of showing Luther's actual crisis. It makes him look like a modern liberal Christian who discovered that God is a God of love rather than hate, and was moved by corruption of the Church. This misses the specifics both of his problems and of his insight.

In some sense it falsifies Luther, since Luther believed that corruption was a side-issue. The main issue of the Reformation for him was bad theology. They don't even show the most famous episode of his life, when he realized the true meaning of God's righteousness.

You might want to read a biography. Here's a more detailed explanation
When and how did Martin Luther arrive at the justification by faith? - Christianity Beta - Stack Exchange. But even this doesn't get all of the real theology of it. It might be better to look a biography, such as Kittleson, Luther the Reforner, or a good introduction to the Reformation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Soverinth

Nov 14, 2012
✟16,158.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The film unfortunately doesn't do a very good job of showing Luther's actual crisis. It makes him look like a modern liberal Christian who discovered that God is a God of love rather than hate, and was moved by corruption of the Church. This misses the specifics both of his problems and of his insight.

In some sense it falsifies Luther, since Luther believed that corruption was a side-issue. The main issue of the Reformation for him was bad theology. They don't even show the most famous episode of his life, when he realized the true meaning of God's righteousness.

You might want to read a biography. Here's a more detailed explanation
When and how did Martin Luther arrive at the justification by faith? - Christianity Beta - Stack Exchange. But even this doesn't get all of the real theology of it. It might be better to look a biography, such as Kittleson, Luther the Reforner, or a good introduction to the Reformation.

Well now thats a downer...

The movie i really like doesn't even help with the understanding lol. Oh well.

I'll try to read the biography sometime.

Upvote 0

decent orange

Oct 23, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
✟7,892.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You didn't list it, and you seem to be Protestant, but St. Nicholas Orthodox, (the one on the lake further north rather than the building a mile south of it), seems to be jam packed with 17-19 year olds according to the pictures on their website.

But from what you listed, only since you asked, I would say a Lutheran Church.

Upvote 0

LilLamb219

The Lamb is gone
Site Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
✟83,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I go to a LCMS church...not in Ohio but I would hope that they have a liturgical service for you to attend?

We have a Lutheran forum here on the Christian Forums if you would like to visit and ask some questions. There are pastors in that forum who can answer some of the very complicated questions too :)

Here is the link.

Upvote 0

Soverinth

Nov 14, 2012
✟16,158.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
@Hedrick

There are a few things i'd have to say Luther had advantage over me.

He was already a religious figure. Just in the wrong teachings. The guy was a monk. Me on the other hand am just an american, far from any kind of religious person. So this has been a bit different for me but i do agree he went through a lot of the same struggles i am going through now.

Upvote 0