• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Chronic pain/illness' and depression seem to go hand in hand

pumanator

Veteran
Aug 1, 2005
✟10,032.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
My mom has RA at 78 and is all but crippled and take vicadin everyday. I have OA from all the injuries and surgeries over the yrs so I can relate. Ppl are afraid to relate, we remind them that they are one mis-step away from joining us and some are callus and just couldn't care less. I tried to start a group for folks like us where I live at a local calvary chapel camp in the mtns where I live and was told it would just turn in to a big pity party by the pastor in charge ... I no longer attend his study but Harvest in Riverside Ca has one that meets once a month and its just like any other study but we can all relate to each other. Find a place with ppl that care and understand...it will do wonders for your morale.

Upvote 0

I'ddie4him2

Prince of Id, Matt's dad, Tatted saint, Got ink ??
Feb 2, 2002
You have just entered the twilight zone........
✟17,773.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am lifted just to know that there are others out there like me. 3.5 years now. People do not understand chronic pain.

I have several different thoughts on this.

1) There are those that do understand it and do something to help those in constant chronic pain.
2) There are those that do understand it and do nothing.
3) There are those that refuse to understand it and think it will go away.

It has been my experience that most will fall into #1 or #3.
My ex wife is a perfect example of #3.

I have had some great Christian couseling. The depression is better. Nothing changes the pain. People question your integrity. I do not know how someone gets through this kind of condition without Christ.

Sadly nothing will ease or change the pain. :sigh:
For 2 years my ex wife fully believed I was faking all this even after 2 surgeries. :scratch:

Upvote 0

I'ddie4him2

Feb 2, 2002
✟17,773.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It amazes me how many in the church are so clueless and careless when it comes to this...really sad.

I had to do yard work all weekend as a tree was half way down and I had to cut it...Im a wreck and may not go to work tomorrow...there is no asking for help and so I work to the very edge of what I can stand and then quite...nothing else for it and I am learning to accept it.

I go to a wonderful church here in my area and have had several offers to help with yardwork and I am still to prideful to accept it. I pray that you find a church family that will help you out a bit and give you a bit of a break. :prayer:

Sounds like you are pretty aware of what you can and can't do now. You gotta take it easy puma. Our bodies can't take the same kind of work and stress they were subjected to before.

Each week I cut my lawn and try to work on my truck or wifes car and then spend the next several days recovering. Guess I haven't learned my own limitations yet. :doh:

Upvote 0

I'ddie4him2

Feb 2, 2002
✟17,773.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My mom has RA at 78 and is all but crippled and take vicadin everyday. I have OA from all the injuries and surgeries over the yrs so I can relate. Ppl are afraid to relate, we remind them that they are one mis-step away from joining us and some are callus and just couldn't care less. I tried to start a group for folks like us where I live at a local calvary chapel camp in the mtns where I live and was told it would just turn in to a big pity party by the pastor in charge ... I no longer attend his study but Harvest in Riverside Ca has one that meets once a month and its just like any other study but we can all relate to each other. Find a place with ppl that care and understand...it will do wonders for your morale.

Your Pastor sounds like he is pretty closed minded when it comes to support groups and commonalities actually helping others just by being able to talk about things.
It sounds like the new study group you found in Riverside does just that. Thats wonderful news. :clap:

Reactions: pumanator
Upvote 0

pumanator

Veteran
Aug 1, 2005
✟10,032.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Went to the WC doc today to get the 3rd opinon...went better than I thought and he was pretty cool...we'll see.

I'm very aware of how bitter Ive let this make me and I am quite confused as to how to deal with it after all these years and get in a place where God will be pleased with me. I have learned to steer clear of those that are toxic but at the same time I MUST forgive them if only for my sanity.

Great encouragement from all...God bless.

Upvote 0

Amhacajo

Turn worry into wonder...
Oct 25, 2006
Australia
✟24,091.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wanted to pop in and say that my heart goes out to you all who suffer from chronic pain. My back has been bad for nearly 12 years now with chronic pain on and off, sometimes for a week at a stretch but then it can be really good for weeks. Winter is becoming more a problem I have noticed in the last couple of years.

I was only reflecting last night to my husband and wondering how people who have this kind of pain all the time, cope. I myself have some respite but to live with it constantly just boggles my mind. I know myself that I tend to be more short fused and get frustrated very easily when in pain. I can understand how depression could become an issue if faced with the prospect of getting no relief.

I guess this brings me to a question which kind of brought me here. How do you cope? Are there things you do that help you cope mentally? Pain relief can only go so far and I know that I would be happy to get tips from anyone who understands what pain can do.

Upvote 0

pumanator

Veteran
Aug 1, 2005
✟10,032.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
If I were smart I would figure out how to lean on the Lord 100%...such as it is I'm the foolish stubborn type and have become bitter...there is no coping...excess of things that aid in escape that in small doses would other wise be ok.

"Boggle the mind" that one gave me a twisted chuckle as studies have shown that chronic pain keeps the frontal cortex keyed up all the time and looks to cause some sort of brain damage (oh goody)...there are others that are far worse off than I and mine and others misery has stumbled me to no end.

Upvote 0

Amhacajo

Turn worry into wonder...
Oct 25, 2006
Australia
✟24,091.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am sorry to hear about the coping. Again like I said I do get some respite.
I can understand some of the bitterness though as I have had many people pray and lay hands etc etc. but then my back gets bad again and they all throw their hands up again not understanding with that kind of look in their eye as to say 'well what have you done?'
I feel like screaming and saying, 'do you think I actually like living like this? If there was something I could do I would!!' Then I just feel like crying and saying why Lord why?

I have just this week embarked on a weight loss regimen again. After an excrutiating week last week I decided that I would again do what I could, to lose some weight. In the grand scheme of things it is probably only about 10 kilos that I want to lose and my hope is that this might actually relieve some of the pressure on my bones and joints. Now if I can just pick the right lotto numbers everyday to be without the flare ups then I might just be able to go walking each day...

Interesting about the brain damage bit... My husband and I can go crazy together if the healing doesn't come! ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fangtastic

plays with logs
Feb 7, 2005
Atomic Space Someplace
✟9,950.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Use a 1:1 ratio calcium magnesium suppliment long term and as necessary antiinflammatory herbs such as curcumin (turmeric extract) and enzymes such as bromelain (pineapple enzyme) or pancreatin. Control infections, especially those of virus and bacteria.

Upvote 0

pumanator

Veteran
Aug 1, 2005
✟10,032.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Amhacajo, lol...why did that make me laugh...I must have a arrived at a new level of goofy.

My doc told me yesterday that 10lbs of weight is 30-40lbs on the knees and I have known for years that my ponch is affecting my back and I am looking into lap band. A side note on the low back, good or bad, when you bend at the waste with nothing in hand it puts up to 200lbs of pressure on the low back when you straighten up and that is why they tell you to use you legs to lift.

Upvote 0
P

peacedweller

fangtastic
Use a 1:1 ratio calcium magnesium suppliment long term and as necessary antiinflammatory herbs such as curcumin (turmeric extract) and enzymes such as bromelain (pineapple enzyme) or pancreatin. Control infections, especially those of virus and bacteria.

interesting, how long have you been on this regiment? were you diagnosed with chronic pain or something else? any prescription meds?
sorry for all the questions....i've been both routes, supplements and now prescribed meds.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Armistead14

Mar 18, 2006
✟9,449.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
This two years have been my hardest. I went to stage 3 with RSD, considered to be the most painful disease known to man. I finally lost my business. We went from a happy middle class family to now we live in total poverty.

For me it's a life of hell. Many of my past friends with this illness have taken their life, why they call it the suicide disease. You become unable to
really do anything but deal with pain one minute at a time, taking handfuls of the strongest opiates, morphine pumps, you name it.

The depression for me was watching all I worked for all my life go away. Then we sold all our valuables to live. My wife is also disabled. What little money you can make you have to pay Doctors, buy pills, ect. Too long to explain, but we lost our medical coverage too... My wife does her best. She once had a great life, now she suffers so because of me. My 13 year old son does without. Heatpump broke, so we uses the woodstove for heat this year.,Cars get repocessed, nothing to drive. It robs you of everything.
That's what does me in...I could deal with pain, I can't deal not being a man.

Upvote 0

pumanator

Veteran
Aug 1, 2005
✟10,032.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
,,,my concern Arm is where is your church family through all this. The body of Christ is suppose to be there for each other. If you are not in fellowship I would hope you could seek some out. I wish I had the words to encourage but I do understand the feeling...I fear what would happen to my family if I got any worse. I don't like the obama care thing but maybe in your case it will help. Have you applied for SSI or any other aid...like me, you have been paying taxes all you life and you have a right to what ever is available from the state or feds...and if you have not told your church just how bad it is you should then let your pastor know...if they don't know they can't help. I know it sucks but for us guys it's really tough to swallow out pride and ask for help. My brother is a pastor but his back has gotten so bad that he is looking at going on SSI and then teach probono wed and sun for his church and then delegate the rest and since the econ has tanked the little money the church has might be enough to stay open...we all want to stay at the helm but sometimes God pulls our pin...I still don't fully understand the why to it all and I hope you don't give up on God though it's understandable to question the situation.

Do what ever is necessary to handle the pain...proverbs makes it clear about the subject of dealing with pain.
Proverbs 31:4-7 ESV / 2 helpful votes

It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine, or for rulers to take strong drink, lest they drink and forget what has been decreed and pervert the rights of all the afflicted. Give strong drink to the one who is perishing, and wine to those in bitter distress; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more.

My pastor once told me to take what I needed to handle the pain and my doctor who is a christian told me I would most likely be taking the meds for life and would no doubt become dependent on them...what ever your doctor makes available use it. You might have luck getting you meds for free here
http://www.pparx.org/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fangtastic

plays with logs
Feb 7, 2005
Atomic Space Someplace
✟9,950.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
fangtastic

interesting, how long have you been on this regiment? were you diagnosed with chronic pain or something else? any prescription meds?
sorry for all the questions....i've been both routes, supplements and now prescribed meds.

I've been on this for 8 months but off and on. I had surgery in my case as I had several muscle groups reacting in my face neck and arm.(At the same time. Painful) I may face my entire body eventually going through this. I have Dystonia. Neurological disorder.

Upvote 0

One day at a time

Always in a state of change.....
Apr 26, 2009
sitting in my recliner--I'm sure!
✟73,355.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm battling some depression or moodiness right now. For some reason this surgery has triggered it and I guess I wasn't expecting it to hit me like it did!
So if you could pray for me I would appreciate it! I hate the feeling plus the loneliness that it brings!

Reactions: Fangtastic
Upvote 0