• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Chronic Pain and Loneliness?

Travelers.Soul

Traveler; Dreamer; Warrior; Coffee lover
Aug 15, 2010
Land of the Horse
✟132,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Does anyone else who suffers from regular pain feel lonely or isolated?

I've had a painful day today and I've noticed a bit of a pattern. When I have days like today, I also tend to feel very lonely. I've talked, texted, and messaged friends but it hasn't helped. I've tried various ways to fill the day but that too hasn't helped (though praying does help to a degree). Unfortunately, none of my friends are able or live close enough for a visit on days like today. Ironically, when I am least able to "entertain" anyone is when I most want human contact. I want a hug or someone to hold my hand or just sit with me and watch a movie/episode....just something. I know it wouldn't make the pain or the issue go away but I think it would make it more bearable mentally and emotionally. Maybe that's asking too much or maybe I'm wrong? I don't know. Does anyone else every feel like that?

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟686,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm disabled with chronic pain.

Yes, when I'm in the most pain is when I feel loneliest.... I think its because I can't do anything.

When you can get out of bed your occupied.. But as the pain stops you so then your mind is wandering and bored. I'm married so when my husband is home and awake its nice, someone to talk to but otherwise yes, I'm lonely.

For me, too much pain means I can't be touched though... so even with a husband I can't have the hug... we have a California king size bed and one of those mattresses someone can bounce on and not shake the other person.. I build a wall of pillows when the pain is such that I can't be touched.

How your disability affects you will affect how you can fill the time.. But it's really a matter of filling it.

Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, I understand what you say as I too, suffer chronic pain and I think that in itself is isolating.
I guess I am the opposite to you in that when I have particularly bad days I prefer to be alone. That's not hard for me anyway as I am mostly on my own.

In everything though I feel that though I wouldn't wish anyone else to have pain, in my life this keeps me closer than ever to God.
When I feel down I remember that Jesus understands more than anyone else what it is like to suffer pain and to feel alone and I cling to Him.

We are all different in our responses to things but oh! what God has ahead for those who endure to the end will make all we go through here on earth, a tiny blip compared to heaven where He himself will wipe our tears from our eyes, no more pain, death, sorrow- I can't wait.

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I have a bulging disk and it flares up on occasion. I've been suffering from it the past few days and had to miss church today. Needless to say, missing the much anticipated fellowship was a bit of a downer.
My wife suffers from chronic pain. She is prescribed pain meds 24/7. She is a Christian and it has been an immense privilege to see the Lord using her illness to draw her ever closer to Himself over the years. May you find His grace to be a sufficient support in your battle with illness.

Upvote 0

Travelers.Soul

Traveler; Dreamer; Warrior; Coffee lover
Aug 15, 2010
Land of the Horse
✟132,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Thank you all for your encouragement and sharing with me. It helps me to know how others feel or deal with their situation. Also, I have found that the pain has made me more thankful and prayerful.

Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I have days like today, I also tend to feel very lonely

sorry, you're having a tougher day!

can understand when you're just plain tired of pain
hoping you have a better day soon!

Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
imagine part of the loneliness, too is often no one knows exactly how you feel

not something we want anyone to share but nice to have understanding

hope you get a good night's sleep

blessings

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟206,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Does anyone else who suffers from regular pain feel lonely or isolated?

I've had a painful day today and I've noticed a bit of a pattern. When I have days like today, I also tend to feel very lonely. I've talked, texted, and messaged friends but it hasn't helped. I've tried various ways to fill the day but that too hasn't helped (though praying does help to a degree). Unfortunately, none of my friends are able or live close enough for a visit on days like today. Ironically, when I am least able to "entertain" anyone is when I most want human contact. I want a hug or someone to hold my hand or just sit with me and watch a movie/episode....just something. I know it wouldn't make the pain or the issue go away but I think it would make it more bearable mentally and emotionally. Maybe that's asking too much or maybe I'm wrong? I don't know. Does anyone else every feel like that?

I'm with you on this one, being in pain, feeling unable to do enjoyable activities, feeling unable to go out and visit friends, and just feeling lonely from it all. Being homebound and disabled is really really hard physically mentally, emotionally and even spiritually (probably the worst of it), because it can really test your relationship with God because you know that He is allowing you to go through these tribulations. He is the source of all things ultimately, and it can be difficult from our perspective to see something so anguishing to us as something Good. But He does have a plan, and He does promise that we will be healthy again and never be sick again never be in pain again, and never be lonely again when he comes back and makes all things new. For now we just have to endure and not lose sight that this is temporary and it will pass.
God Bless

Upvote 0

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Have you heard THIS:

But this I CALL TO MIND, and therefore I HAVE HOPE: -Lamentations 3:21

So, when you are home bound or disabled, there is STILL HOPE. Where? You just have to call to mind. What I should call to mind ?

The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; His mercies never come to an end; -Lamentations 3:22
they are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness. -Lamentations 3:23
"The LORD is my portion," says my soul, "therefore I will hope in him." -Lamentations 3:24

Yes, call to mind the steadfast love of the Lord and His mercies, therefore you will hope in Him.
What hope in Him? His faithfulness!
So, it is spoken that the Lord is faithful to you. When He is faithful with His steadfast love and mercies; you are not alone.

When you want to talk someone all day, it can find no one to compare — only the Lord.

when you want someone to hold your hand— why not hold the hand of the Lord; see how Jairus seek the Lord’s mercy and implore the Lord to lay hands on his daughter that she will live:

While he was saying these things to them, behold, a ruler came in and knelt before him, saying, "My daughter has just died, but come and LAY YOUR HAND ON her, and she will live." -Matthew 9:18

But when the crowd had been put outside, He went in and TOOK HER BY THE HAND, and the girl arose. -Matthew 9:25

What can be more precious to hold the Lord’s hands?
As we have heard:
though he fall, he shall not be cast headlong, for the LORD UPHOLDS his hand. -Psalms 37:24

So talk to the Lord, for He is faithful.
Hold the hand of the Lord, for He shall uphold you.

Even when you are pain, just call to mind : His name.
Cried out His name.

As we have heard:
steadfast love surrounds the one who trusts in the LORD. -Psalms 32:10

So trust in His steadfast love, then His grace will surround you.

When you call out in His name because you trust in His grace and love Him ; taste and see that the Lord is good as He pour His grace into your heart.

As we have heard:
So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. -2 Corinthians 4:16
For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, -2 Corinthians 4:17
as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal. -2 Corinthians 4:18

So what are the things unseen that you need to look for His steadfast love, His mercies, His faithfulness, His strength, His joy, His wisdom, His redemption, His power, His ways, and many more.

In Christ Jesus, the apostles and faithful ministers of God have been speaking before God is for your strengthening.
GBU

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums